• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sami flex..... what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock_Crusher

So, I'm looking to stay low... and since the sami's are already, such a short wheelbase rig... it's really hard to fit taller tires... without per'say losing the body altogether, think i've found the happy medium for awhile, at least.

whats your opinion... on these Nifty shackles...

running 512 r&p's gears
locked / spooled rear
5.14.1 t/c gears
1.3 semi built
CALMINI Heavy Duty forged rear / front - axle shafts
SPOA Yj leafs
33's

Looks like it's going to do alright...

but thought i'd ask around, what others might have done, differently in order to wheel the sami... w/ lots of flex... yet not get too tall...

xm4p40.jpg

xm4pc4.jpg

xm4pll.jpg

xm4pzc.jpg

Zuk man,
I've ran revolvers on my CJ5 (not much bigger'n yours) and they do work in a lot of circumstances. It depends on how you want to use your rig. Ultimately, I took them off and swapmeeted them.
Upside, allows great flex, provided you get long enough shocks and can relocate the shock mounting location to accomidate the longer shocks.
Downside, the allow the suspension to unload at the wrong times. When you go up or down any really steep incline, the upside shackle is prone to opening, creating an end-over-end rollover situation. And on steep sidehills (thing rimrock) the upside shackles give you a pucker factor.
Tony

TreeClimber said:
Zuk man,
I've ran revolvers on my CJ5 (not much bigger'n yours) and they do work in a lot of circumstances. It depends on how you want to use your rig. Ultimately, I took them off and swapmeeted them.
Upside, allows great flex, provided you get long enough shocks and can relocate the shock mounting location to accomidate the longer shocks.
Downside, the allow the suspension to unload at the wrong times. When you go up or down any really steep incline, the upside shackle is prone to opening, creating an end-over-end rollover situation. And on steep sidehills (thing rimrock) the upside shackles give you a pucker factor.
Tony

good response & your sort of saying something like a wobbly see saw effect?

i know i can run pin's in the shackles to go back to stock form... but that really defeats the purpose... but with - SPOA & Yj leaf's... it's great as it is.
remove the pin's and it just becomes a flex monster. pin's are really there for street driving, and as you said... drop off hills or end over end situations.

the picture's above, are not my sami... but what i think i'll be doing to mine.

Yj leafs are a dime a dozen (used) fabb up some missing links... and then decide, what would be the better driveline choice's to go with... if it was just trail... might just make a box tube / slider type. but, i like the opinions that people share... KEEP 'EM COMING.

Last edited:
I haven't run into a forklift on the trail yet, so don't know how I'd compare:flipoff:

In terms of absolute flex, yeah, you beat me hands down. However, I'm a firm believer that there can be too much flex on these things. I'm sprung over on stock YJ 4-leafs. Instead of doing a missing link type shackle, I just fiddled with my shackle angle, so I get a bit more droop out of them as they arc down. I mean, with the flex I have, I rarely go full stuff/droop on the trail.

The drivetrain idea is spot on though, with the exception of keeping Zuk diffs, even if they are built.

I brought this back because there is ACTUALLY some good tech here among all the BS that I removed. :flipoff:

Status
Not open for further replies.