• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

school me...12 or 24 valve?

I just went through this...had a 12v, wont buy a Dodge with an auto, bought an 03 6-speed and love it

I just went through this...had a 12v, wont buy a Dodge with an auto, bought an 03 6-speed and love it

Got the :bling: 6 speed..........nice!

That would be awsome...but saddly, probly over my budget...:booo:

99 was the first year where the 6-speed was offered...they wanted sick money for them so just went for it and got the 03, best build of the 5.9

6 speed isn't for everyone.. I'd take the 5 speed over a 6 any day, unless it's a 05+ G56..

The leak is between the vacuum and power steering pump. A couple bolts, the three hoses, oil line underneath as well as a support brace going to the block and she comes right out. Separate the two halves and replace the seals that come in the kit.

I pulled doubles with my 12v...always wanted just one more gear.....going through 5 of 6 gears to cruise 30-35 is not for everyone

6 speed isn't for everyone.. I'd take the 5 speed over a 6 any day, unless it's a 05+ G56..

The leak is between the vacuum and power steering pump. A couple bolts, the three hoses, oil line underneath as well as a support brace going to the block and she comes right out. Separate the two halves and replace the seals that come in the kit.

Sweet. Not to sound redundant but what seal is it or what kit is it?:corn:

Sweet. Not to sound redundant but what seal is it or what kit is it?:corn:

just run down to Cummins NW and ask for the powersteering/vacuum pump seal kit for the dodge, it's a common thing for people to buy. But you don't have the truck yet, so I wouldn't worry much about it. You will want to run down there when you buy one for filters anyways.

05+ #6 gear doesn't shatter?

:corn:

shatter? sure, with a ton of hp.. Don't forget that Lenny ran mid 900 rwhp with his G56 without issue.... This guy said he is towing a wheeler, I doubt he will be pushing any high hp limits. All 3 manuals have their short falls.. Try getting a rebuild quote on a NV5600, you'll be crying before you hang up the phone. Not to mention they are the absolute worst manual transmission to drive. Have you ever even driven a truck with a NV4500, 5600 or G56? I've had a decent amount of time with all 3... Empty and towing

Last edited:
it takes a bit more to get power out of the 7.3 though. Either you spend money on injectors, a turbo, studs and tuning on a 7.3. Or you spend money on an EGR delete, head studs, HPOP and a tune on the 6.0. That's just to get into the low 500 range, and at that point, the 6.0 doesn't really have it's reliability gremlins. With the 7.3, it's either all or nothing, if you're going to get injectors and a turbo to make 500 hp, you might as well get injectors and a turbo to make 650.

It just depends on how much power you want. Remember most of us here just want to tow a trailer. You don't need anywhere near 500HP to tow a trailer.

12 valve is less maintenance, usually get better mileage, easy and cheap to mod for decent enough power for most people to be happy for a tow rig without hurting mileage. Early 98's were the only 12 valves with the new interior and optional quad doors. It's best to stick with the 96-98 trucks, but 94 and 95 are still decent.

98s had 12v and the nicer body upgrades. 98.5 is a 24v so you are VERY limited to what 98s will have a 12v

And I am not sure the 12v does better mileage than a 24v.

98s had 12v and the nicer body upgrades. 98.5 is a 24v so you are VERY limited to what 98s will have a 12v

And I am not sure the 12v does better mileage than a 24v.

What type of milage on a 12v towing 15k gross, on average?:corn: