• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

school me...12 or 24 valve?

And I've read about a 2000hp chainsaw motor... :eeek:

This is after all the internet, where ANYTHING is possible! :rolleyes:

Btw, this is not an attack on anyone who has made posts especially the last guy, but I am saying that you need to understand that this is NOT a pissing match. We are all adults (well most are) and that if you have reports of #s WAY outside the average and no adequate proof, or better yet "my buddy did this". Chances are you will get called out on it.

But to the OP, you can expect 20-20+mpg out of any 6bt that is in good running order be it a 12v or 24v. Some like the on the fly adjustability of the 24v's VP44. Some like the simplicity and capability of high hp fuel from the P7100. And some take both the 24v and the P7100 and do a conversion! If you are really curious about the details of each motor go sign up at cumminsforum.

Last edited:
dood....I love these threads, been reading them for over 10 years now and laugh....
the way to find out is pull with a bunch and then you see everyone is chugging down the fuel all about the same, 12v, 24v, superdon'tys and that jap chevy oil burner....

if you plan on pulling big loads like 2 rigs and gear expect 9-10 if your tow rig is in good shape....
this is from dragging junk to Paragon PA, Superlift in AR, DTC in SD, KOH in So Cal, Moab in UT......plus coutless other places nobody on here would know about

just don't buy a gasser

At 22k with my 12 valve, I was getting a whopping 10.5 mpg :haha:. I wasn't driving like a grandma though either.. My Dad usually gets 10.5 to 11.5 at 27k with his 05 Dodge.. I don't think I've ever checked mileage towing something light like a wheeler, boat, etc..

And I've read about a 2000hp chainsaw motor... :eeek:

This is after all the internet, where ANYTHING is possible! :rolleyes:

Btw, this is not an attack on anyone who has made posts especially the last guy, but I am saying that you need to understand that this is NOT a pissing match. We are all adults (well most are) and that if you have reports of #s WAY outside the average and no adequate proof, or better yet "my buddy did this". Chances are you will get called out on it.

But to the OP, you can expect 20-20+mpg out of any 6bt that is in good running order be it a 12v or 24v. Some like the on the fly adjustability of the 24v's VP44. Some like the simplicity and capability of high hp fuel from the P7100. And some take both the 24v and the P7100 and do a conversion! If you are really curious about the details of each motor go sign up at cumminsforum.

People can take it for what the will. Maybe it was my setup, could have been perfectly matched which i suspect was the case. The tow was from the west side to east. I think about 3/4 of tank. Did the math and i was surprised also. Around town i dont get crap.

I just filled my 03, got 17.5 and the computer said 17.3
this is in town driving...maybe 20 miles freeway

I have a 98 12V, it gets 16-17 hand calculated, all stock. auto with 3.55 gears. That was hand calculated, unloaded of course, after about three full tanks I stopped checking. That was about what i realistically expected. Now towing about 7500lbs I got around 11, not taking it easy though. I would not base your decision on getting a consistenet 20+ mpg, very few do.

I have a 98 12V, it gets 16-17 hand calculated, all stock. auto with 3.55 gears. That was hand calculated, unloaded of course, after about three full tanks I stopped checking. That was about what i realistically expected. Now towing about 7500lbs I got around 11, not taking it easy though. I would not base your decision on getting a consistenet 20+ mpg, very few do.

a few mods will help mileage considerably. With around 330 rwhp and 33" tires. 21.5 was the norm for my 98 12 valve. But with just shy of 500 rwhp, three cylinders low on compression, 35" tires and driving with a heavy foot. Hand calculated was mid 16's. Upper teens/low 20's for a mildly modded Cummins is a piece of cake.. Low 20's while towing 7k isn't going to happen though. You can have 700 rwhp and get mid 20's. Just don't let that boost needle get past 5! :haha:

a few mods will help mileage considerably. With around 330 rwhp and 33" tires. 21.5 was the norm for my 98 12 valve. But with just shy of 500 rwhp, three cylinders low on compression, 35" tires and driving with a heavy foot. Hand calculated was mid 16's. Upper teens/low 20's for a mildly modded Cummins is a piece of cake.. Low 20's while towing 7k isn't going to happen though. You can have 700 rwhp and get mid 20's. Just don't let that boost needle get past 5! :haha:

Drinkin' early tonight? :D

No drinkin'.... That statement is as true as they come. Don't be upset because you still haven't figured out simple math :kissmyass:

Simple math=tuning. Obviously mine was tuned to perfection getting that kind of mileage! :haha:

Although, i'd LOVE to see someone get low 20's with 700hp. No tuning in the world will get you that. Hazey haze haze there goes the diesel! :rb:

Simple math=tuning. Obviously mine was tuned to perfection getting that kind of mileage! :haha:

Although, i'd LOVE to see someone get low 20's with 700hp. No tuning in the world will get you that. Hazey haze haze there goes the diesel! :rb:

already been done a few times on the hp and mileage. Although you are the only person in the world who has hit low 20's while towing 7k... hmmm, interesting. And over a mountain pass no less... So when are you going to open up your own shop, master tuner :flipoff:

already been done a few times on the hp and mileage. Although you are the only person in the world who has hit low 20's while towing 7k... hmmm, interesting. And over a mountain pass no less... So when are you going to open up your own shop, master tuner :flipoff:

I already have. Anyone is welcome-
what goes up, most come down. You really are tempting me :haha: I might be flopping back to x14 injectors soon

I didn't realize i'm the only person you know :redneck:

I have 98 12v #100 plate 3k gov spring AFE intake 4" exhaust tripple disk and valve body and only get 11 with 9500# enclosed egts are crazy