• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on Air Compressors

hwcurtice

So, the little 5 gallon one I have just doesn't cut it. Looking for something bigger.

For plugging into the home wiring, what are my limitations?

Whatever you do, don't get an oilless. They're noisy and have low output. I used a 33 gallon oilless for 5 years and it sucked. I recently picked up a dual stage 5 horse 80 gallon from Lowes that makes 16 cfm at 90 psi. It's much quieter, more efficient and a million times better.

X2

Its garage sale season... start shopping around.

Try to get a 240V unit then get your garage wired for it. You'll be much happier in the long run as even a decent 120 unit just won't have the balls.

Find the biggest one you can afford and have space for... then get the next size up. Bigger is not always better, but for a compressor I think its well worth it in the long run (just gets to be the suck if you got to move etc).

Hi All:

It really depends upon how much you plan on using the air-hog tools like impact guns.

A 110V compressor with a 20 - 30 gallon tank will be running *a lot* ! :eeek:

A 220V compressor with a 50 - 60 gallon tank is better.

A lot of folks have their air compressor in an outside shed, with air lines plumbed into the garage/work shop. This is because of how loud air compressors are when they run.

As a home-hobbyist, only using the air compressor occasionally, I find a 30 gallon 110V unit to be acceptable (though noisy.)

Regards,

Alan

Find the biggest one you can afford and have space for... then get the next size up. Bigger is not always better, but for a compressor I think its well worth it in the long run (just gets to be the suck if you got to move etc).

This!

Look at the CFM ratings. The tank size is second.

2 stage compresor for the win! Will give you decent CFM and high PSI.