• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on Chevys

wentz912

So I finally ditched my first Gen and am now the proud owner of a 1990 Chevy SNB, 4*4, z71, 350 TBI.

As this is my first domestic rig, what can you guys tell me about it? Anything in particular I need to keep an eye on? I already know it needs some little stuff like drivers door pins, new door locks, front right fender, and I need to fix the window track on the drivers side too.

Truck also has a new alternator, starter and battery. Newish K&N, spotted a TB spacer, and exhaust is aftermarket from cat back.

Pretty solid truck. We saw allot of 700r4 problems back then but the TBI system is pretty stable.

More dash type issues with those trucks..

I have 1990 3/4 ton chevy,If you go faster than 55 the paint flys off. It has 299000 miles still run great no complaints.Lets just say it hasn't had the easiest life since I got it.

Good to know the trannies have hiccups. Are we talking complete failures Crash, or user serviceable component failures? On the dash issues I've noticed a couple odd things there as well. Voltage gauge moves around more than I consider normal, and the speedometers likes to stick at 20 on shutdown. My thoughts are to check out the charging system and if normal to slap in an aftermarket voltage gauge that's not so crazy. Should I do oil and water while I'm at it?

Looking forward to spending a lot of seat time in this thing. Gonna spray bomb it and continue to thrash it as my work truck slash parts hauler.

Good to know the trannies have hiccups. Are we talking complete failures Crash, or user serviceable component failures? On the dash issues I've noticed a couple odd things there as well. Voltage gauge moves around more than I consider normal, and the speedometers likes to stick at 20 on shutdown. My thoughts are to check out the charging system and if normal to slap in an aftermarket voltage gauge that's not so crazy. Should I do oil and water while I'm at it?

Looking forward to spending a lot of seat time in this thing. Gonna spray bomb it and continue to thrash it as my work truck slash parts hauler.

We saw allot of simple clutch failures. There were tons of updates to that tranny thru the early-mid 90's.

Hop under it and see if you see anything stamped "serta" on it--if its there then its been replaced with a OEM reman unit with all the updates when it was replaced..

Ya we saw some gauge failures (servo's) and I have heard of guys fixing there own clusters back then--but not for certain...

they did have a recall on the tranny breather tube, make sure that was done. nothing serious, cost for a 1' of rubber tube and zip tie. with that if you plan on towing or hard use on the tranny, get a tranny cooler if it doesn't have one. hence the recall, when hot would puke fluid out and could possibly catch fire on the exhaust.

annoying pop on bumps while turning, put anti-sieze between the body pad and the body and tighten the body mount bolt.