• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on Jeep Cherokee

SJR

just looked at a 91 Jeep 4 door Cherokee , its a automatic with the 4.0 6 , now my question , is that tranny a stand alone unit or does it run off sensors and a computer? , also would a standard tranny bolt right in? , also what years are what with the cherokee, is there any year to stay away from, what im looking for would be a good one to make into a wheeler they seem like a pretty inexpensive base to build a wheeler from, I just dont want to buy the wrong one, mabe the older one with a carb is better maybe not thanks Scott

Transmission runs off a TCM. 91 and later were the H.O. engines. Thats all I realy care to know about them:flipoff:

just looked at a 91 Jeep 4 door Cherokee , its a automatic with the 4.0 6 , now my question , is that tranny a stand alone unit or does it run off sensors and a computer? , also would a standard tranny bolt right in? , also what years are what with the cherokee, is there any year to stay away from, what im looking for would be a good one to make into a wheeler they seem like a pretty inexpensive base to build a wheeler from, I just dont want to buy the wrong one, mabe the older one with a carb is better maybe not thanks Scott

Get it , plate the uni-frame (msg aventone about plates) and the wheel the piss out of it... scrap it and start over....

the AW-4 is a aisian (sp?) transmission and they do run on a computer but are great transmissions.... :awesomework:

I own n drive a 91... wheel it once in awhile...:haha:

Stay away from renix 90 and older I think. I use to have one but it's a unibody. Aw4/4.0 is a great setup. Axles are smaller (33s max) get 14 mpg. Lol.

I dig my 20-25 mpg.

make sure your engine mounts are good... my d.side was toast from a leaky powersteering hose and it caused my p-side thread bosses to snap off the block.. I did a M.O.R.E offroad similar engine mount and never will look back...

Brace/plate the steering box... find D44's for the front n rear... Get dakota or S10 leafs for the rear, body armour, dakota or early non abs brake set up and do it right.. oh... SYE..Slip Yolk Eliminator is a must.... (I yet to do this:booo:)....

Cherocars are highly hated by yota fags.. but with a cheap lift and some decent cheap 33's you can hit the trails... Yota's have to replace EVERYTHING to hit the trails...:fawkdancesmiley:

Cherocars are highly hated by yota fags.. but with a cheap lift and some decent cheap 33's you can hit the trails... Yota's have to replace EVERYTHING to hit the trails...:fawkdancesmiley:[/QUOTE]
. . You can weld a yota and dominate. That said I had an open/ open cherocar on recycle lift parts and 33's that would get it.

Stay away from the carbed ones, unless you plann on a motor swap of some sort...but even then...
Our 89 cherokee 4.0L has treated me really well for the 10 yrs we've owned it. a 91 eh? Where at?:D

'87 to '90 are OK, '91 to '95 are better. The engine/trans./t-case are all pretty good units. Axles will need upgrades. The AW4 takes inputs from TPS, brake pedal, etc. to function properly, and works DAMN good. If you desire a stand alone unit or more manual control, check out www.radesigns.com. If you wish, yes a m/t will swap right in.

'87 to '90 are OK, '91 to '95 are better. The engine/trans./t-case are all pretty good units. Axles will need upgrades. The AW4 takes inputs from TPS, brake pedal, etc. to function properly, and works DAMN good. If you desire a stand alone unit or more manual control, check out www.radesigns.com. If you wish, yes a m/t will swap right in.

This is what came up at the top of that link....

The domain radesigns.com is for sale. To purchase, call BuyDomains.com at 781-839-7903 or 866-866-2700. Click here for more details.
:awesomework:

make sure your engine mounts are good... my d.side was toast from a leaky powersteering hose and it caused my p-side thread bosses to snap off the block.. I did a M.O.R.E offroad similar engine mount and never will look back...

Brace/plate the steering box... find D44's for the front n rear... Get dakota or S10 leafs for the rear, body armour, dakota or early non abs brake set up and do it right.. oh... SYE..Slip Yolk Eliminator is a must.... (I yet to do this:booo:)....

Cherocars are highly hated by yota fags.. but with a cheap lift and some decent cheap 33's you can hit the trails... Yota's have to replace EVERYTHING to hit the trails...:fawkdancesmiley:

Except the engine mounts, don't need to reinforce power steering, keep the axles, no slip yoke to eliminate. New gears and lockers are easy to set up. Nothing is cheaper to lift than leaves, and they have real frames.:awesomework: Ya stay away from the 4runner. Of course I have a cherocrap and had a runner. Runner was a better wheeler hands down but cherokee was a much better DD and family car (notice the word car). Some of the late '90 had a HP D30 and a 29 spline 8 1/4, which would be the best stock axles, make sure the T-case is the NP231.

Last edited:
Some of the late '90 had a HP D30 and a 29 spline 8 1/4, which would be the best stock axles, make sure the T-case is the NP231.

how bout this setup

85 JEEP CHEOKEE PIONNER
- MILEAGE ON MOTOR 60K
- MOTOR IS A 95' 3.4 L V-6 OUT OF A CAMARO
- REBUILT AX5 SPEED TRANSMISION
- MP207 TRANSFER CASE
- DANA 30 FRONT AXLE AMC REAR AXLE

how bout this setup

85 JEEP CHEOKEE PIONNER
- MILEAGE ON MOTOR 60K
- MP207 TRANSFER CASE

thats not the original V-6... They came with the 2.hate :puke:..

**** man.. get it and prove them wrong...

or get a 91 and dont look back...:awesomework:

Personally, I would go with what has the most part rigs to steel parts from...:redneck:

Both Cherokee's and Toyota's have their upside and downsides, but it is really a personal choice. If you are set on a cherokee, stay away from early Manual transmissions, 87-88-early 89. Don't go older than an 87. A 90 to 95 are some of the best years. Yes every T-case is going to need SYE, but only really if your going over 3 inches of life. New rear axle is a must if its the Dana 35, the 8.25 is not a bad axle, wheel it but don't throw money into it. the tiny Dana 30 up front can ( your experience may vary.... ) handle a 35 inch tires with some simple trussing. Overall, these are not a bad start. I know there are a few cherokee owners on here, Zukkev usual knows the answer to most Cherokee questions.

how bout this setup

85 JEEP CHEOKEE PIONNER
- MILEAGE ON MOTOR 60K
- MP207 TRANSFER CASE

Negative ghostrider....run, run like the wind!

Thanks Wawheeler....but Avanteone knows more about all the ins and outs/pluses & minuses of the various yrs of Cherokees than I do I'll bet...