• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on Jeep Cherokee

I'm still going to go ahead and say your incorrect sincei tried to use my clamp sleeve from my stock cherokee steering and it was too small to thread onto the grand Cherokee drag link. Would be fine with 35's all day as long as your not smashing it into rocks or stumps. But in that same sense nothing really lasts when your doing that..

I'm still going to go ahead and say your incorrect sincei tried to use my clamp sleeve from my stock cherokee steering and it was too small to thread onto the grand Cherokee drag link. Would be fine with 35's all day as long as your not smashing it into rocks or stumps. But in that same sense nothing really lasts when your doing that..

What yr is your Cherokee? The early ones had 11/16" thread IIRC, while in 1993 the Cherokee's thread was switched to 22MM IIRC (a bit larger)....This is what I did on my 89 (went to 93 cherokee steering)...

That was on an 87. The one I roll now is an 90.. Personally i have ran 35's with stock steering it and bends like nothing.. I have ran the grand v8 setup and never had one problem.. I had alot of problems with the 90 at first but got it figure out.. Its been a good rig since the issues I had with it.. On the steering this is just my opinion and what I have learned with it.. Everybody will always have their own as well.. Just some more ideas and upgrades on the cheap.. Plus not everybody has a welder to throw a sleeve over the stock tie rod.. just my .02
:beer:

AW4's are a kick ass trans. Aisin knew what they were doing when they built it for sure. :D Just toss a BIG cooler on there and it'll live through a whole lot of abuse. You can build your own shift kit for it too. I've done it to mine and it BOOTS when ya shift gears.

The shifter stuff is from www.RADesignsproducts.com Rory builds some cool stuff, I have his push button controller and once I get the engine swap done I'll build a paddle shifter for it.

I have pulled the tierod and draglink from a V8 Grand and compared it side-by-side with Cherokee steering and the draglinks were exactly the same thickness, but the Grand Cherokee tie rod is thicker. It is not a huge upgrade, but I know several people with 33" and 35" tires who run them and have not had any problems.

They do look the same is what I thought too but just try and use your stock xj thread collar on a v8. On an 87 it was a no go but like Kevin said it could have been the earlier years that were slightly smaller.

the 93-96 grand cherokee's with the v8's had some BEEFY steering stock.. Not the 4.0 just the v8's.

this is where you messed up, claiming the 4.0 draglinks were smaller...
cheers tho man:beer: im always lookin for stuff on the cheap too which is why i have that chinsey ass v8 tie rod on mine:fawkdancesmiley:

No I didnt mess up I told you maybe the newer ones were as thick as the v8 on the drag link. but I know for a fact that the 87 was smaller than the grand. You cant tell me im wrong about something i messed with myself.. I mean you can ill just stick to my guns! its a good upgrade for 40$ or less and worth doing.

what years? is it a bolt up ? will the driveline bolt right in? , are the spring mounts the same spacing? and what about wheel bolt pattern? thanks guys

it isnt a bolt on. cut the spring perches off or buy new ones. need to regear it to match the front. same bolt pattern and yes driveline bolts up with a flange adapter

Last edited:
it isnt a bolt on. cut the spring perches off or buy new ones. need to regear it to match the front. same bolt pattern and yes driveline bolts up

cool I can handle the mounts thats nice the drive line will work

what years will work with same wheel pattern ?

cool I can handle the mounts thats nice the drive line will work

what years will work with same wheel pattern ?

any ford explorer will work they all came with the 5on4.5 bolt pattern. i think it was 99 they started to come with disc brakes.

Running 33's, you can run the HP30...one thing you could do is run the later, larger u-jointed axleshafts, if yours doesn't already run the 297x...but Lots of folks run the 30 (especially open) for many yrs...