• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me on Jeep Cherokee

can you lock the aw4 trans down into 1st gear, or is it the 1-2 combo when you pull it all the way down?
iv read some differing opinions on the aw4 vs. 42re units...

Looks like I may get a 94 Grand Cherokee its a Automatic , I have a line on a 90 cherokee, it has a 3" lift, will that 3" lift fit on the Grand 96? thanks Scott

No, a Grand Cherokee utilizes coils on all four corners. This is different compared to a early Cherokee which uses leaf springs in the rear. The front coils may be used but I would recommend against it.

can you lock the aw4 trans down into 1st gear, or is it the 1-2 combo when you pull it all the way down?
iv read some differing opinions on the aw4 vs. 42re units...

The AW4 is bulletproof, the 42RE is a POS. ALL 4.0 XJ's came with AW4 for auto. When you pull it down into 1-2, it will hold first gear until like 5k RPM's, and then will shift to 2nd... and as you slow down again, it will bang into first gear. There are several ways around this, the most effective is to find the 12v switched (not the constant power) power lead to the TCM (trans. control module) and wire in a toggle switch. I did this on mine and loved it. Basically when you're wheeling or playing in a spot where you need the RPM's and don't want it to shift, you kill the power to the TCM, and it forces the trans. to stay in first gear. Works great and takes just a couple minutes to do it.

Looks like I may get a 94 Grand Cherokee its a Automatic , I have a line on a 90 cherokee, it has a 3" lift, will that 3" lift fit on the Grand 96? thanks Scott

If you get a 3/4" spacer, you can toss the lift springs up front with the spacer. And use the front coils on the ZJ for the rear. Should net you 3.5-4" lift. Control arms will work and track bar will work. I just did that with my 96 ZJ since my buddy had a lift he was getting rid of off his XJ.

The AW4 is bulletproof, the 42RE is a POS. ALL 4.0 XJ's came with AW4 for auto. When you pull it down into 1-2, it will hold first gear until like 5k RPM's, and then will shift to 2nd... and as you slow down again, it will bang into first gear. There are several ways around this, the most effective is to find the 12v switched (not the constant power) power lead to the TCM (trans. control module) and wire in a toggle switch. I did this on mine and loved it. Basically when you're wheeling or playing in a spot where you need the RPM's and don't want it to shift, you kill the power to the TCM, and it forces the trans. to stay in first gear. Works great and takes just a couple minutes to do it.

that switch idea is great. would be a necessity for steep slippery downhills i would think. iv always heard aw4 was better. read some smack on it somewhere though where the guy was claiming the 1st gear is too high, and the spacing between the gears was too large or somethin, idk...
cherokees rule:awesomework::beer:

I wanted to swap an AW4 into my ZJ.. Got talked out of it though. For some reason it didn't like to work quite as well as they do in the XJ.

maybe the extra weight threw it off? but if my unicar memory serves me, the 93 zj was aw4.

Could have been, but it shouldn't be any different then adding weight to a cherokee with a lift, larger bumpers, etc.. On top of rounding up all of the correct parts to make it work. It also had some kind of communications problem. It worked, just not as well as they'd hoped. Said they wouldn't attempt it again.

87 is, I understand, the one possible yr that could have come with a rear D44 stock!:awesomework: Take a look at that, and if the diff cover is oval shaped, it's a D35.... if not oval---likely a 44 in '87...

Load of crap to whoever told you that. '84 to '87 could have Model 20 as a tow option (only saw 2 in XJs on NAXJA, but most 86/87 MJs had them with the Metric Tonne package then they went to D44) '87 to '90 used D44 with factory tow package. Mopar axle wasn't used till '90 and up.

I saw three 88' to '90 XJs passed through pull a part with D44s (yard apes snagged them before they hit the yard with the old owners)

"87-'90".. Here's my thoughts on WHY renix's suck... No option for a "chip" or throttle body spacers... The Shortblock is dirferent from the '91 n newer also... Lets say you have a engine mount failure on the D.side... this will cause the mount that bolts to the block on the P.side to stress the 3 little weak thread bosses and most likely snap them off... I lost a perfectly good running engine to this:mad: in my 1990.....

1991 n newers all run the "HighOutput" systems which are a great improvement and give you more options for power increase and reliablitly with the injection system.... Not to mention if the above engine mount issue happens, you have 7 thread boss tab options to make a mount to bolt to OR you can buy a M.O.R.E offroad mount... I made mine and it works wonders..:D

Pretty much Everybody has hit all the key points with cherokars...:awesomework: ... Watch for rust around the rockers on these things, the rubber body trim hides it well... Hell, lay down and look at the seat mounting area's from the underside and look for cracks there as well...

OR , Go buy a WRANGLER and never look back:redneck:

The 4.0 L blocks are externally the same '87 to '99. Heads are different. Only different hole on the block is the one for the Renix knock sensor.

Pistons changed around '95 to get rid of piston slap (impregnated skirts) Block was lightened too much and they had to add a stud girdle to keep the blocks from twisting too much @'98

The 5 speed is a peugeot BA-10. Run like the wind. Worst trans possible behind the 4.0

I have a friend with a woodie wagoneer that is a 4.0/aw4 combo. I'll ask him how much he wants if you are intrested.

The pugsnot isn't hard to change out for an AX-15 or something even better. Just find one with an external slave!

Could have been, but it shouldn't be any different then adding weight to a cherokee with a lift, larger bumpers, etc.. On top of rounding up all of the correct parts to make it work. It also had some kind of communications problem. It worked, just not as well as they'd hoped. Said they wouldn't attempt it again.

Sure was in '93! Only year that got 1/2 decent fuel economy too! The Mopar trans was a slug and power hog. It wasted 17% more than the AW4 and was weak to boot. If I EVER get a JGC, an AW4 will be going in!

Sure was in '93! Only year that got 1/2 decent fuel economy too! The Mopar trans was a slug and power hog. It wasted 17% more than the AW4 and was weak to boot. If I EVER get a JGC, an AW4 will be going in!

That's all fine, but a 93 isn't a 96. Issues arise when you are trying to talk to something that isn't supposed to be there..

OK looks like Im going to grab a 90 cherokee and use all the parts on a build up, tell me this how confusing and jumbled up is the wiring to run that engine and the auto trans? , do I need it all of can it be thinned out, like on the tranny could i ditch the computer stuff and just shift it manually of just have a few toggle switches? I dont want to spend more time on wireing then on the rest of the build :eeek: thanks guys Im a Subaru guy and these Jeeps are a new animal to me

D44's were alot more common in comanche's that is for sure.. But they were trucks and used well for trucks.. I think I had a 86 with a 4cylinder or the crapper 2.8 but it had a 4runner manual trans in it.. I didnt do the swap but the guy told me it bolted right up. Also had the jeep tcase on it.. I am not sure if anybody really knows this but ill share.. the 93-96 grand cherokee's with the v8's had some BEEFY steering stock.. Not the 4.0 just the v8's. Simply unbolt it and bolt it in its that easy and everything is thicker/bigger.. Instead of dumping 300-400 on steering just go with that and used your stock as a backup. But if you spread the word too much youll never find them anymore ahahahahaha

Load of crap to whoever told you that. '84 to '87 could have Model 20 as a tow option (only saw 2 in XJs on NAXJA, but most 86/87 MJs had them with the Metric Tonne package then they went to D44) '87 to '90 used D44 with factory tow package. Mopar axle wasn't used till '90 and up.

I saw three 88' to '90 XJs passed through pull a part with D44s (yard apes snagged them before they hit the yard with the old owners)

Last edited:
I am not sure if anybody really knows this but ill share.. the 93-96 grand cherokee's with the v8's had some BEEFY steering stock.. Not the 4.0 just the v8's. Simply unbolt it and bolt it in its that easy and everything is thicker/bigger.. Instead of dumping 300-400 on steering just go with that and used your stock as a backup. But if you spread the word too much youll never find them anymore ahahahahaha

diff betweem v8 and 4.0 is only a tiny upgrade in strength in the tie rod.

tiny. (still pretty week)

Negative on that, the drag link as well as the tie Rod are thicker and Beecher. And they are certainly strong for a cheap ass upgrade.

ZJs Iv measured all have same draglink bro. barely adequate for 35s IMO. mine flexes with the 37s. A better option would just copy the i6 straight tie rod using thicker material, or just sleeve it.