• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School Me!!!!!!

4xjunkie

Alright I need to be schooled on coilovers.

What do I need to look for?

How do I figure out just what spring rate I need.

Which ones are good ones.

What about the Fox Air Shocks?

I am not building a rockbuggy, just a serious trail rig.

What about street driving, I still want to drive this on the street went I want to.

Just tring to gather as much info as I can to see if this is really the route I what to go.

Thanks

4xjunkie said:
Alright I need to be schooled on coilovers.

What do I need to look for?

How do I figure out just what spring rate I need.

Which ones are good ones.

What about the Fox Air Shocks?

I am not building a rockbuggy, just a serious trail rig.

What about street driving, I still want to drive this on the street went I want to.

Just tring to gather as much info as I can to see if this is really the route I what to go.

Thanks

Is this something you are going to tackle yourself? If so you are asking some of the simplist questions and IMO you are not ready to take it on yourself.

But IMO the length of the coilover depends on a # of things. How much room, how much travel but typically a 14" coilover is a good general length. Myself I prefer to run coilovers for a trail rig. They can handle weigth better and typically are a smoother ride IMO.

Spring rates will depend on the weight of your rig and a qualified shop can typically help you with your spring rate setup.

Driving characteristics are typically characterized in the link suspension....

As for what ones to run--I like the saw a ways....

crash said:
Is this something you are going to tackle yourself? If so you are asking some of the simplist questions and IMO you are not ready to take it on yourself. .

You are probably right.

I looked into this a little. I would stay away from Air shocks on the street.(rare, but one could go out on the freeway and that wouldn't be fun) coilovers are just more reliable/consistant/smooth on the road. They also do a better job with heavier rigs and are less maintnace. I'm planning to run them on the Grand when I put my new axle in.

OK this is what I've heard. Anyone want to school me?