• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

scout flywheels

bobracing

Are scout 4cyl and 8cyl flywheels interchangable?

I know they bolt on but a friend went to fix a leaky seal and found out he has a 4cyl flywheel on a 345.

bobracing said:
Are scout 4cyl and 8cyl flywheels interchangable?

I know they bolt on but a friend went to fix a leaky seal and found out he has a 4cyl flywheel on a 345.

No, they aren't compatible. The V-8's are externally balanced, while the 4 cylinders are internally balanced. What makes him think it's a 4 cylinder flywheel?

Last edited:
He was changing the ring gear and another friend asked what he was doing with a 4cyl flywheel. From what I've been told, the 4cyl are about ~25# and the V-8 are over 40#, he has a light flywheel, is there a "light" V-8 flywheel?

bobracing said:
He was changing the ring gear and another friend asked what he was doing with a 4cyl flywheel. From what I've been told, the 4cyl are about ~25# and the V-8 are over 40#, he has a light flywheel, is there a "light" V-8 flywheel?

I couldn't tell you, but I checked the parts catalog and the 8's have a different part number then the fours. I know when we mounted the 727 to the 196, we had to knock the big weight off the V-8 flex plate. Seems like his motor would be out of balance in the flywheel wasn't correct.

You may want to ask over on The Binder Bulletin. There more binder nuts over there, probably get a better answer.

From packing them around, I have never noticed a weight differance between them.

I can check next time I have the two next to each other.

The V-8's have what looks like a counterweight cast in to them, were as the 4-cyls have no counterweight.
________
IOLITE VAPORIZER DIRECTIONS

Last edited: