• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project scout

offroadguys

I bought a 1970 IHC scout 800A for $800. it has a 304 v8 with a T-18 and a dana 20. The rig from front to back is rusted out literally. Someone tried to hokey something up to hold the rig together (3/16 plate welded to the shape of the tub, but he didnt paint it so it began to rust) I have totally cut out the tub and welded ina new one. I have also built a new frame for the tub to sit on as the C-channel was completely rusted out. Most all body mounts were rusted out all but 3. two in the front and one in the back. someone had tried to hold the body on with a skateboard wheel and a grade 8 bolt. I Kept the bolt chucked the wheel. Another thing that was severely rusted was the tailgate. The whole bottom had holes in it. I bought some new tubing and bent some metal on a brake and rebuilt it. The front floor boards are a work in progress. The passenger side was totally rusted and I rebuilt it, as well as the driverside. This guy who owned it before me was remarkably stupid. How many know you cant fix rust with fiberglass? He tried to rebuild bothh the rocker panels with fiberglass. Another thing he jury-rigged is both of the gas tanks were glued in with exansion foam. A hour of fighting them, and they came out. I have pics of before i took it apart but I have to get them off of my pc into the link below.... But those pics are what I have for now.

Here are some pics from when I brought it home:
scoutw.jpg

scoutrear.jpg

scoutinteriorrear.jpg

Factory articulation, sucks.
scoutarticulation2.jpg

scoutarticulation3.jpg

Plans are as follows.

SBC 350 on pane, or TBI'd I havent decided. SM465, with a Np205.
Dana 60 front 5:38's and a EZ locker. GM corporate 14bolt fullfloater with disc brakes, 5:38,s, and a detroit. Spring over and 39.5inch Superswamper TSL, Bias of course! I will also be adding power steering (a must). Aluminum radiator, and electric fan. Have plans to build some tube doors for it.
Pics can be seen here: http://img268.imageshack.us/g/p3040016n.jpg/

After I cut out the rust I started taking pics so this what I have.
scouttubrustrear.jpg

After the tub repair:
p3040002t.jpg

Driverside floorboard before:
scout1.png

Front floorboards after:
p3140055.jpg

Last edited:
Working on that..... I have to turn down the resolution on my camera and then Iwill try to post up pics.

Last edited:
I also have a 70 scout. The rust was a factory option.:haha:....You can't post pics directly because you didn't donate to the board. Host them on photo bucket and link them here..

Yeah, Im afraid I would have to agree. I will throw up some pics here on imageshack or somehthing here in the next day... someone told me that if I hosted themoff site and clicked on the insert image button (yellow mtn thing) It would make the pics visible in the thread :eeek:

I also have a 70 scout. The rust was a factory option.:haha:....

Welded in the rear exterior quarter patch the other day... Heres a pic.
p3140052a.jpg

Here is another place I rebuild
Before:
rearqtrscoutrust.png

After:
p3140053.jpg

I still have some grinding to do on the welds, I just painted them so they wouldnt flash rust on me.

Last edited:
Well I ran out of wire in my welder, so I worked on my $100 14 bolt. After one hour of grinding I got both of the perches off. Here's some pics.

p3210058.jpg

p3210060.jpg

p3210059.jpg

Last edited:
Awsome build, I love International Scouts! I think the drivetrain your talking about is a good choice for your rig. :awesomework:

Scouts are for people who can't get Toyota's or Patrol's.:redneck::redneck::kiss: Keep cutting out that rust, try to be done for our Labor Day campout.