• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Screech Noise?

Toy4runner

So I went driving around town with my new Toy to give it a test drive with the new tires and such and I noticed after I got a couple miles into town I went to downshift into 2nd to slow down and once the clutch was out there was a loud screeching noise coming from under my truck. It was like a metal on metal sound. I noticed it only does this in 2nd gear and I can make it do it if I get up to speed in 2nd then let off the gas and let the compression slow me down, it also only does it around 2500-3500 RPM's while compression braking, can't accurately tell since I don't have a tach. Any ideas? I am hoping this trans will hold up for a while since I have other stuff I would like to replace such as the clutch and timing chain.

Also I have searched the webs high and low for this and most say it is a belt, but belts don't screech like this.

Here are the mods on the truck:
Marlin 4.7 T-case
Ford 56" leafs in the rear
Rears Up Front
Stock 4.10 diff gears with a welded rear
High Steer

And as far as I know the motor nor trans has yet to be rebuilt and it is a 22r sitting at 230k miles.

Last edited:
I thought about that being a possibility, but the fact it only does it in 2nd gear leads me to believe something in the trans is blowing up. I did have a throwout bearing go out in my DD due to muddy water and it only made nasty noises while the pedal was pressed down.

If possible take a video of you driving and try and record the noise, then post a link from youtube to here...hearing the noise would help greatly in pin-pointing.

Sure I will do that this weekend, gotta get the gopro charged up and get the truck starting again LOL :haha:. Damn crappy corroded 30 year old battery cables.

Well I have another issue also, all this might be because of a bad throwout bearing and clutch, but I was in 4Lo in 4th coming down the hill and all the sudden my RPM's drop and I start rolling faster, got to a flat spot and let out the clutch and nothing happened. Was able to get it home after letting it cool down a bit. Looks like its time to start wrenchin.

Just thought I would post an update, I replaced the clutch today and I found my screech issue, the throwout bearing was bulged out around the edge on the side that faces the pressure plate :wtf:. Now I found out I also have excessive blow by to the point that if I plug my PCV valve in I get oil spraying all over the place, I'll just keep it unplugged like how it was from the start lol :haha:.

Just thought I would post an update, I replaced the clutch today and I found my screech issue, the throwout bearing was bulged out around the edge on the side that faces the pressure plate :wtf:. Now I found out I also have excessive blow by to the point that if I plug my PCV valve in I get oil spraying all over the place, I'll just keep it unplugged like how it was from the start lol :haha:.

You might have a plugged PCV valve vacuum supply port on the intake, not allowing vacuum to the valve itself...Where's the oil coming from?

Couldn't find a clog, but we only stuck a screw driver in there since my mechanic buddy had work to do. It is coming out of the driver side of the timing cover where there is a slow drip leak.

glad you found the noise.... and it was an easy fix... :awesomework: :beer:

Yeah at first I didn't think it was my throw out bearing, but my mechanic told me and proved otherwise when we pulled out that bearing and it had that bulged edge on it. Just a little worried about the blow by now, it doesn't burn oil at all and I don't have the spare money for a rebuild right now and I want to do some wheelin.

That leak at the side of the timing cover is likely not due to excessive blowby...the Timing chain throws oil right at that gasket...If the gasket is bad/damaged, or has missing bolts from some yayhoo not installing all the correct bolts into the cover when the timing chain was replaced, it's gonna leak.

It drips sometimes, but when the PCV is plugged in it squirts oil, my axle on that side and my header were coated in oil plus there was a growing puddle on the ground, until the PCV was unplugged. But all of this is also speculation since we could not clearly see where it was coming from, but that seemed the most likely source since we could not see anything else leaking in that area.

Just thought I would bump the thread as the screech noise disappeared for a little while, but it must have been a coincidence, it is back, worse than ever. I began to think it was transmission related, I now have a low mile forward shift W56 under my truck which shifts nice. But the screech noise is horrible. My buddy crouched on my rock sliders while i was having it make the noise in 1st gear, we found that it is coming from the rear end. There is a pretty good amount of play in the rear driveline. I am guessing that third is shot. Time to grab an IFS rear :D.