• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22re noise under load

The Luke

I've been chasing a mystery noise for a while. Maybe ya'll can help?

Background: 86 pickup 22re/auto. Rebuilt 22re with less than 1k miles. Old motor had the same noise before it was replaced. ONLY HAPPENS WHILE UNDER LOAD. You can kinda feel it in the drivers floor board. Every exhaust gasket is new. Currently running 89 octane. I ran seafoam through the brake booster vacuum line. No visible exhaust leaks.

Video of noise(you can hear it ticking when under acceleration) sorry for the crappy video, I was moving the phone around while driving and trying to find the best place to hear the noise: http://youtu.be/a8JoPTOtxkU

Little help???

Re: Re: 22re noise under load

Set valve lash/rocker clearance correctly?
Timing?

I can't really hear anything watching it on my phone, the speaker is garbage

I'll double check. But it was right when I had the valve cover off two weeks ago. Timing is set at 5*. It sounds PERFECT. until it's in gear and driving down the road. You can Kick it in neutral while driving and it goes away.

bluetoy said:
Did you replace the wrist pin bushing when you did the rebuild? 22R's are notorious for wrist pin noise.
friend of mine rebuilt it before I ever bought it. It has 100% new everything minus block. Even the head was new.

Is it louder at light throttle and quiet down under heavy load or does it get louder the harder you run it? I couldn't tell much from the video. The usual suspects for engine noise on a 22R are valve lash, wrist pins, or rod bearings.

If the shop that did the machine work honed any of the wrist pin bushings too big, it will rattle like crazy. I've had to have them reworked several times because the shop honed them too big. I'm a machinist myself so I tend to be overly picky about other people's work.

These motors make noise. I always set valve lash a little tighter than what spec calls for. Have you readjusted them since you've had it? If it's new you'll have to lash the valves after everything settles.

Sent from the mans IPhone.

Yes in reverse. Drove it today, no noise. Last night, it did it. It sounds like an exhaust leak. I know the manifold dumps behind the pedals, which is where I feel it. But it's not leaking there. Possible it's only leaking under load due to higher exhaust pressure?? I guess I can jack the back end up, chalk the front tires, drop it in gear and see if it still makes the noise. That'll take a lot of the load off and might help narrow it down to the transmission. Which btw only has about 15k on it. I

may be in the torque converter ? or thrust from the trans affecting something ? if some of the thrust washers/bearings in the trans weren't replaced or replaced incorrectly.

Oh, and those trucks are bad to crack the Y pipe right below the manifold gaskets.

usually on the back side, right against the bell housing where it's hard to find.

I'll tear into it this weekend. Hopefully I'll find something. If it's the trans, I'm throwing a manual with dual cases in, just because.

The Luke said:
I'll tear into it this weekend. Hopefully I'll find something. If it's the trans, I'm throwing a manual with dual cases in, just because.

I'd do that anyway.

early Toyota auto and tcases are stupid

Got a spare manual trans and everything else I need laying around?

I actually have a new clutch, pressure plate, and manual flywheel.

Re: Re: Re: 22re noise under load

The Luke said:
Got a spare manual trans and everything else I need laying around?

I actually have a new clutch, pressure plate, and manual flywheel.

I actually don't think i have any good transmissions