• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Seatbelts save lives

FlatlandFSJ said:
This is something I'm going to look into before to long. I don't think I could go full face spaceman helmet like Patooyee, but would like something between my head and the cage since its gonna be pretty close on the left side. Is everyone liking the axel helmets?
I tried an Axel helmet on but didn't like it because it put too much pressure on my temples.
I went to several stores and tried many different helmets on before deciding to go with the Bell Segment. It is a bike/skateboard helmet sold at Sports Authority for $45. I wore it all day on our last trip to Windrock just to see if I could get used to it. It was very comfortable and I hardly even knew I was wearing it. I would definitely try a few on before spending a bunch of money on something you may not wear because it's uncomfortable.

Ricky 79cj-7 said:
I tried an Axel helmet on but didn't like it because it put too much pressure on my temples.
I went to several stores and tried many different helmets on before deciding to go with the Bell Segment. It is a bike/skateboard helmet sold at Sports Authority for $45. I wore it all day on our last trip to Windrock just to see if I could get used to it. It was very comfortable and I hardly even knew I was wearing it. I would definitely try a few on before spending a bunch of money on something you may not wear because it's uncomfortable.

Thanks. This is what I was sorta concerned about, I get headaches if anything is putting pressure around my head(dont know what it is, dont wanna know). Even with my welding helmet, if its 1 click to tight it will give me a headache with a quickness. I remember some of the skateboard helmets having different sets of cushions that came with them to kinda adjust the way they fit, is the bell like that?

I know I smacked my head hard a few times skating in my younger years and minus a couple scratches those helmets held up fine, and they were always pretty lightweight

Question...

Does a helmet actually do any good if you don't wear a whiplash collar? Not trying to be smart ass or anything but seems like the extra weight would make the whipping effect worse. Am I mistaken?

sure it does.

have you ever knocked your head on the cage when just wheeling around? I know i did a ton in my old toyota single cab.

one of the biggest issues I have seen lately with some bouncers (not trying to point fingers, its just what I have seen) is them using the small corbeau seats - and then putting the fuel cell right behind their heads....sharp corners and everything.... if that doesnt scream stupidity, I dont know what does.

jeeptj99 said:
Question...

Does a helmet actually do any good if you don't wear a whiplash collar? Not trying to be smart ass or anything but seems like the extra weight would make the whipping effect worse. Am I mistaken?
add weight, add neck stress, add inertia to your nog as it flies forward and the cage/belts stop. I wear a truck HNR when racing with a real helmet. I need to actually D ring my motocross helmet (weighs half what my desert race helmet does) so I can use the rage hybrid pro with it as well. When rec wheeling, I always shoulder now (10 years later) but need to put a helmet on more. Lighter is the aim I have currently, because I'm not going to HNR up to ride rzr's around, but just riding rzrs around can get to 80 mph real fawking fast.

Re:

I have always tried to wear my harnesses anytime I am in the Jeep or rzr, but in the last few months, with everything that has happened in our sport, I have became very ocd about belts. My ride doesn't move until myself and the passenger are fully strapped in, and I will not hesitate to tell anyone I see with no belts on to put them on. Once you get used to wearing them they aren't really that cumbersome at all. We spend all this money on safety equipment for out rigs, and there is no reason not to use it. The best cage in the world is useless of you aren't wearing your harnesses and I do not want to see anyone hurt or killed just because they were more comfortable without their harness, or that it took too long to put It on. Buckle up guys, everyone needs to go home safe

One of the biggest reasons I had a hard time putting shoulders on was that my wheel was about 2" too far away, and when getting it and needing to steer quickly and comfortably with power, I was too straight armed. I put a taller hub on and now wearing shoulders feel more natural. Those of you that say you seldom wear shoulders, belt in, and go over a list of why you hate it. Tcase shifters too far away? Can't reach the radio? I know in a jeep TJ with an auto, I put suspension seats in for a guy and when belted in teh auto shifter was so far away there was no way anyone under 6'2 was getting it out of park. I remounted the shifter base way farther up and back and it helped. Move **** around, the effort it takes will be worth it when you aren't dead or drinking through a straw.

FlatlandFSJ said:
Thanks. This is what I was sorta concerned about, I get headaches if anything is putting pressure around my head(dont know what it is, dont wanna know). Even with my welding helmet, if its 1 click to tight it will give me a headache with a quickness. I remember some of the skateboard helmets having different sets of cushions that came with them to kinda adjust the way they fit, is the bell like that?

I know I smacked my head hard a few times skating in my younger years and minus a couple scratches those helmets held up fine, and they were always pretty lightweight
Yes, the Bell Segment comes with a couple different sets of cushions. The main thing about the segment is that instead of being one solid shell, it is made in segments allowing it to better shape your head.

My rig doesn't move without everyone fully harnessed in. I picked up a Protec helmet and it's not so bad wearing it. I made sure I wore it on the hard lines, but need to develop the habit of wearing it full time. I went to several stores before finally finding one that fit right. My Protec is a large and fits better than the Triple8, Bell, or Giro did in an XL. My son is 7 and isn't allowed to leave camp without his helmet on. I couldn't live with myself knowing I made him a vegetable or even worse he died in my hands. It's just not worth it...

jeeptj99 said:
Question...

It protects your head, not your neck. The conversation is focused on trail riding, not racing, but if you trail ride like you are racing I'd suggest you gear up accordingly. I think the race organizations have the safety requirements pretty well under control at this point.

Batmobile Will said:
Sad to say I heard we lost another guy to wheelin this weekend at Aetna mountain yall say a prayer for his family!!!! We as a group needs to make it priority number one SAFETY!!!! Buckle up ,helmets on, neck brace, I like my fire suit and wrist restraints !!!! Safety safety safety :dblthumb:

Terrible news, what's going on lately? Was he belted in?

Batmobile Will said:
Sad to say I heard we lost another guy to wheelin this weekend at Aetna mountain yall say a prayer for his family!!!! We as a group needs to make it priority number one SAFETY!!!! Buckle up ,helmets on, neck brace, I like my fire suit and wrist restraints !!!! Safety safety safety :dblthumb:

where did you hear this? this is the first I've heard of it and I live in Chattanooga.

Re:

Man you may be a **** in other posts but this thread is needed and I hope many people read it.

I did a nice yard sale in my TJ in May of 2014 at Morris Mtn. Rolled it 2.5 times. Both myself and my passenger were harnessed up and in decent suspension seats. We both popped out pretty much unscathed - Pass with a bruise on his head and me with one on my shin.
I would hate to have seen what we would have looked like with no harnesses.
Even crawlin can get crazy...safety gear isn't just for bouncin!!

Re:

I rolled the Gremlin at GMP this weekend (sat night) on a super easy downhill trail, not paying enough attention and my driver tire clipped a small tree and instead if bouncing around it , it bent into a spring loaded RTI ramp and tossed me into the hole I was trying to avoid.

Belts on and tight hip straps, snug shoulders, no problems. Jumped out and snatch blocked myself back over.

Initially scared be because of how fast it happened.

Wear your ****!