• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

See Jay Slevin

Here is my finished product for my external hub drive flanges AKA Slugs:beer:

ed.jpg

image001-3.jpg

I made some big progress yesterday. I got the jeep to start and run!! This is huge for me, this project has been plauged with electrical and fuel delivery problems that were keeping me from well...staying motivated.

Well let me tell you Motivation is in full effect! I have a lot of clean up to do in the engine compartment tying up the wire harness and getting some exhaust installed.

Ill keep the updates commin:D

What ended up being the problem with the 4.0 swap?

Just curious as I did a 4.0 in my '7 and am always collecting info for reference.

What ended up being the problem with the 4.0 swap?

Just curious as I did a 4.0 in my '7 and am always collecting info for reference.

It was a couple things.

First I had no spark I chased wires for days and finally found when they(previous owner) installed the crank shaft positioning sensor relocation kit (from the bell housing to the front of the motor on the carmonic balancer) the wires were correct at the bottom of the splice but had crossed a wire at the top of the splice. Ofcourse this was covered up with electrical tape and convoluted tubing. After I fixed that I had spark. Should start right......
wrong.

I was getting spark but no fuel. I checked the fuel pump, filters, pressure reg, actual fuel pressure. Had to find out just how much psi it takes to run an injector and that the injectors were getting a pulse from the ecu. Everything was good all the way up to the injectors. So I pulled the injectors and it was evident they were plugged and varnished from sitting for too long. So I ordered Mustang 5.0 injectors from ebay for like a clean hundy.

So now she starts and runs. It was a little rough at first but has since really smoothed out. I plan to get the exhaust on later today. That will help too

So as far as you can tell just the fouled injectors...not too bad. They always run rough until the PCM has a chance to re-learn. I'm on a CJ only forum where they have some 4.0 swap guru's if you run into problems in the future. I can fo-sho feel your pain with the wiring part here's what mine looked like.

Took a little longer to find these as my oldest daughter decided to "organize" the picture folder on my laptop. But anyway here's what my 4.0 swap started with.

40wiremess_1.jpg

40wiremess_2.jpg

Last edited:
So as far as you can tell just the fouled injectors...not too bad. They always run rough until the PCM has a chance to re-learn. I'm on a CJ only forum where they have some 4.0 swap guru's if you run into problems in the future. I can fo-sho feel your pain with the wiring part here's what mine looked like.

Took a little longer to find these as my oldest daughter decided to "organize" the picture folder on my laptop. But anyway here's what my 4.0 swap started with.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/jimijam19K/40wiremess_1.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/jimijam19K/40wiremess_2.jpg

holy smokes man! That looks like a chore. So you get it together and runnin yet? What Trans are you running

It's been up and running for a couple years now, maybe i just worded wrong. I've run three different transmissions so far (T5, 999, 727) and am thinking of changing again. Biggest reason I used the CPS relocation from Hesco, didn't want to redo a bellhousing everytime I switched trannys.

BTW I think I remember seeing that CJ when it was for sale on CL, did the PO live down'round Chehalis/Centralia somewhere?

It's been up and running for a couple years now, maybe i just worded wrong. I've run three different transmissions so far (T5, 999, 727) and am thinking of changing again. Biggest reason I used the CPS relocation from Hesco, didn't want to redo a bellhousing everytime I switched trannys.

BTW I think I remember seeing that CJ when it was for sale on CL, did the PO live down'round Chehalis/Centralia somewhere?

Oh right on. I have the T5. I know its not a very good trans but its run what ya brung right now lol.

I fell in a tough spot a few months back and posted it CL I was able to work a butt load of OT and get myself out of "Hot water" and keep the Jeep thank god. Im glad too cause back then I was discouraged cause I couldnt get it running and with a new baby had zero time I almost let it go. My girls are getting old enough they can hang out in the yard while I wrench on the jeep. It's still slow going cause half the time I'm chasing down little girls running away with screw drivers and sockets. But even slow progress is good progress. Just keep rolling with the punches :cheer:

well it's slow going but I just hung some exhaust, finished
mounting the rear flares, finished the front bumper and pick points. Did a rebuild on my freebeee pos 8274. Free is a good price and I'm all about old school cause winches these days look like coffee grinders. Working on winch plate.
db8fbb7e.jpg

Just drove the jeep for the first time Eva!!! It's only front wheel drive and has no brakes or shocks but I drove it out of the carport and around my back yard in low range. This is a very good day for me! Still have tons to do but I'm making good progress. My goal is to have it streetable by Christmas and maybe even ready to wheel while we still have snow. I'm one motivated mo fo ha ha

Got the rear disc brakes mounted up. Just need to plumb some brake lines and mount the front brakes.

IMG_0076-1.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Also started hanging some shocks. Seems like I'm always rushed to get stuff done so I never get to be as detailed as id like to be. Maybe someday:shaking:
IMG_0078-1.jpg

I was thinking of just mounting a rci fuel cell in the back of the Jeep but just cant afford to lose the interior space right now with kids, but I also cant afford a gen right tank. So I did some searching on PBB cause even though my rear end is stretched about 3" my fuel skid almost fits so someone has had to try to mod it. Sure enough someone on a tight budget and some innovative thinking made it happen on their yj. So here is the beginnings of mine.

IMG_0084-1.jpg

IMG_0083-1.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0086-1.jpg

IMG_0092-1.jpg

IMG_0094-1.jpg

More to come

I was able to finish the fuel skid for clearancing the diff. I will prolly get it all back up into place this week and move on. Its going slow but a little at a time makes the long list get a bit shorter:D

120e4a0f.jpg

adbe230c.jpg

In primer.
f69624b0.jpg

Okay so this week I was able to finish up clearancing my fuel tank and got it installed and the fuel lines buttoned up. Im pretty happy with the way it turned out. I don't love having my fuel tank in a vulnurable area like this but its what I have to do to build a 5 seat jeep. I know I should have added some plate to the bottom of the skid to beef it up some and I plan to. Just not right now.

IMG_0104-1.jpg

IMG_0103-1.jpg

IMG_0102-1.jpg

IMG_0101-1.jpg

I also got the front brakes mounted they just need plummed and bled.
IMG_0099-1.jpg

My cheesy home made crossover steering arm. Beats the hell outta bump steer I guess:shaking: Someday when I strike it rich Ill have the cool ****.
IMG_0097-1.jpg

Built my drag link for my cross over steering arm. I only had a temporary drag link on just to move it around but was at a wicked bad angle. Can we say "bump steer" ha! Made from 1 1/8" cold roll solid shaft drilled and tapped for a 3/4" heims. Beefy.

f92782e0.jpg

f6271bfb.jpg

I should get it put in this week.

Okay so for those of you who have read this thread know I'm building this cj to be a 5 seat jeep. Well two adults and three kids anyway. So CJ7+5 peeps=cramped right? So I have to get creative. I'm getting (2 for now) PRP childrens suspension seats that will fit side by side in the back and one in the center. Ill also get some for us big kids to match a little later. So that solves seating for 5. But what about everything else. Tools, Parts, recovery equipment, Fluids ect ect. Tuffy boxes are cool but I need something a little more custom and more in my price range......Like free. I started looking around at work and found this old cabinet that had some damage and was taken out of service. I thought if I cut the two bottom cabinets out cap the top with plate I can bolt it to the floor in the jeep and mount seat brackets to the top. The kiddie seats have to be raised up anyway. So my boss gave me a pass and I hauled it home. FREE FREE:smokin: That cabinet new is over $1500.:laughing: I cant wait to cut it up!

830f6042.jpg

3cc3259d.jpg

f0d34ca8.jpg

There's a guy on Pirate that modified the back of his CJ7 to fit a full size bench seat, might be worth looking into for you.

Latest posts