• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

See Jay Slevin

cj5_jeep

My New cj7 project...Maybe my last, cause I really regret selling my cj5. So I plan to keep this one forever! I picked this "beauty" up off Craigslist for a nice price. It's not perfect but she aint too bad either. Someone started a 4.0efi swap on it but wasn't able to get spark. Well after days of tracing wires, checking grounds, and testin sensors I found when they did the AA cps relocation kit they crossed a wire, heat shrank about six inches of the splice made damn near impossible to find coming in on someone's "handy work". Now I have spark but not getting fuel through the injectors. I think it's a lack of fuel pressure. Any way I'm working on it. In the mean time i'm working on axle swaps and suspension mods. here is a quick list of the mods in mind for now.

4.0EFI for now

Stock T-5:screwy:

Dana 300 w/clocking ring, twin stick, and 4:1, and a tummy tuck

Waggy 44 front center section with 3/4 ton f250 outer knucks. About 63wms-wms (I will confirm later)

Dana 60r Narrowed to match front wms-wms

H2 wheels 17x9

37" Goodyear Kevlars

Soa w/yj 2" springs (4" on now but trading for lcg)

Basic, budget, but effective. check da pics. Don't worry kinda in mock up stage now, every thing will get beef and gussets.

Pic of the Ford Knucks on rollers. They are external hubs, I don't love it but you cant hate free.:banana:
IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

Waggy knuck getting ready to be chaged out.
IMG_1285.jpg

Suspension is just tacked for mock up right now. My little 110 welder kinda sucks for this size metal. Will all get welded up with a nice 220 Miller machine
IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

Yikes what a mess! I have all the loom, tape, and zip ties cut out to chase wires. This will get lots of attention very soon. It will be nice and clean.
IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

Dana 60...Free:banana:
IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

Other Dana 60 with disc conv. It was for a diff project years ago but was never used. I'm going with the "use two to make one theme here:bangtard:
IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1297-1.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

Last edited:
keep in mind the cab and chassis outers from a 14bolt used on any standard 14bolt make a 63in wide rear axle. cheap and narrow. the free d60s work too if you are handy with narrowing. project looks good. I like the old cj5. :awesomework:

keep in mind the cab and chassis outers from a 14bolt used on any standard 14bolt make a 63in wide rear axle. cheap and narrow. the free d60s work too if you are handy with narrowing. project looks good. I like the old cj5. :awesomework:
Thank you I will keep that in mind. It would be less work.:cheer:

Sorry I haven't been updating progress

Today I got the driver side knuckle changed out to the hd outters. So it's sitting on all fours again. Yay! It's going so slow. Things change so much after you are married with children...In a good way but you just don't get the free time to work on projects like when your young and single. Life is funny that way. When your young you have lots of time and no money, and as you get older you have no time and no money.:rolleyes:

I also scored a soft top for $75
IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Yes it's still too tall. I'm thinking of going xj springs out back and pulling a leaf from the front
IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

Next step is to get my wms-wms on the front and narrow the 60r to match.
My plan is to cut the outters off and machine out the old axle tube, build a jig to hold the flanges square, weld em up, and have shafts made up to size.
IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

Other 60 that was set aside for a different project years ago and was never used. I'm going with the use two axles to make one theme here. Ha
IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

It seems like a pretty straight forward plan.

Give me your input good bad other.

Last edited:
I went through the front suspension this weekend. Got it in the shop broke all the tack welds, cleaned up all the parts and re fit everything for a better shackle angle and got the axle set at 5 degrees pos caster,
pulled a leaf out of the 4" leaf pack to get it down a little, Welded up all the brackets and started a bumper.

The bumper is pretty plain and basic, but once I cap the ends, mount a winch, pick points and D-shackles, licence plate, and some kind of tube or hoop, it should look pretty nice.

These are cell phone pics for now I forgot my camera

image001-1.jpg

lk.jpg

k.jpg

hb.jpg

image001-2.jpg

Okay slight change of plans for the rear suspension.

I was going with xj leafs but after weighing the pro's and con's I'm going with a single triangulated 4 link with stock tj coils.

I was digging around in my extra parts from previouse builds and discovered I already have all the parts to do it!

It will be a bit more work but in the end I think I will be wicked awesome:D

I will try to document more picture detail.

I was stuck at work all day only able to think about building my 4 link. I was completly usless today. So I started drawing my link tabs and spring buckets, making a list of parts to fab sort of a to do list of things to get done.

Here is my old school auto cad drawing of my lower link tabs and spring mount:rolleyes:
fffr.jpg

Also I am picking up my H2 wheels tonight. Sweet

I hope they fit over my mamoth hubs.

So I rounded up some of my parts I will need to 4 link the rear. I have a lot of parts to fab up.
I'm going to go with about a 36" lower control arm
DSC_0340-1.jpg

Not the most high end joints in the world but they will work for now.
DSC_0341.jpg

OEM rear TJ coils
DSC_0342.jpg

I made come clevis's for the front bumper.
DSC_0343.jpg

Yay wheels......or wheel! Man these things are like brand new. I think the guy drove straight from the dealer to the tire shop to get new wheels.

In case anyone is wondering about wheel specs

17x8.5 with 5.5" back spacing and 4.5" center hole
DSC_0344.jpg

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0346.jpg

Nice build so far. The finished product should sweet. :awesomework: Are you doing all your work outside? I don't envy you for that.

Nice build so far. The finished product should sweet. :awesomework: Are you doing all your work outside? I don't envy you for that.

Thanks man. Uh I'm doing some of the work outside and some at my Dad's shop. I was stupid and bought a house with no garage thinking I'll have a shop built in a few months.....two years later still no shop. :puke:Life is funny that way

Damn It's cold outside!!!

Just working on machining tube ends and fabricating frame mounts. Getting all the parts together for a somewhat quick instalation:screwdog:

rfg.jpg

regerg.jpg

Also I have been playing around with the 4 link calculator....Cool Tool:D

Damn It's cold outside!!!

Just working on machining tube ends and fabricating frame mounts. Getting all the parts together for a somewhat quick instalation:screwdog:

rfg.jpg

regerg.jpg

Also I have been playing around with the 4 link calculator....Cool Tool:D

Damn...nice shop:drooling1:, but is there room for a rig???