• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sequoia/ SUV upgrade for the wife

Sandtrap1986

Looking at upgrading from the mom van for the wife was tossing around a Toyota Sequoia nothing brand new what years should I stay away from? It's between that and a Yukon ....any advice is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subscribed. Looking to replace my wife's piece of crap explorer and have heard good things about the Sequoia.

Hard to go wrong with the Sequoia... or anything Toyota for the most part. My wife is on her second. First was a 2001 that my stepmom put 100k on before we got it, then we put another 121k on it before selling. The 4.7 really has NO issues, just keep up on timing belt/water pump replacement every 100k along with spark plugs and fluids. We've done a couple of exhaust manifold gaskets on customer rigs but that's really about it. We just bought her an used 2013 Sequoa with thew 5.7 and it's awesome, but $$$$$. I also just replaced my JK with a '05 4Runner 4.7 with 130k on it and I plan on it lasting forever as well.

The sequoia is MILES ahead of the Tahoe/Yukon platform.

John

We bought my wife a 03 Sequoia with the 4.7 after looking at Explorers, Yukons, Suburbans, Expeditions, etc.. Bought it a few years ago with 120K, it now has 205K.

We had the timing belt and **** done about 140K, and had the steering rack replaced.. other than that we have done nothing to it other than oil changes (every 5K miles with 5-30 synthetic.. 7 quarts).

Comfortable, decent mileage (16-20 depending on driving), good power, tows my boat way better than my K1500...

The material on the headlights is **** and fades easily, the latch on the rear hatch is ****, and they are a real PIA to break into when the keys get locked inside.. other than that no complaints.

the latch on the rear hatch is ****,

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! For what it's worth, Dorman makes a replacement that is thicker/stronger than the factory Toyota piece. Think I replaced it twice while we owned it and didn't have any issues after putting the Dorman piece in it.

Retiring the minivan--that thing has been bullet proof :D

I can't complain for the 1200 we spent on it but I feel like it's time to upgrade her lol it's all manual windows and such and a tape deck haha

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! For what it's worth, Dorman makes a replacement that is thicker/stronger than the factory Toyota piece. Think I replaced it twice while we owned it and didn't have any issues after putting the Dorman piece in it.

Since I'm now living in Puyallup I may swing 1 or 2 through for pre buys from you when I find some decent candidates

Yup, the Toyota. Tahoe? No. Yukon Denali, maybe. But for few reasons. Power and looks are far better. But everything else? Yota.. I do like newer expeditions. But the 5.4's are crap. If you don't buy new enough to get the TT V6, don't bother.

Yup, the Toyota. Tahoe? No. Yukon Denali, maybe. But for few reasons. Power and looks are far better. But everything else? Yota.. I do like newer expeditions. But the 5.4's are crap. If you don't buy new enough to get the TT V6, don't bother.

Mainly want the reliability and more power and less Vaness lol and the ability to tow if need be

Mainly want the reliability and more power and less Vaness lol and the ability to tow if need be

I bought the Denali for the power/towing. But I've decided it's not enough for what I want. So I am going to pick up a new DMAX. The kids can just fight it out in the back seat, lol.

Finding a decent one that's isn't a million dollars or a million miles isn't going well

I sold my wife's 01 with 200k on it for $10k. It WAS essentially a one owner rig though with impeccable maintenance. What's your budget? I see some decent ones for $6-7k.

John

Id take a woreout toyota over aa new cherokee ANYDAY!

My wifes old 4 runner has 400,000 miles and is ready to go anyhwere. Needs nothing. Original engine and drivetrain. We have decided to finally sell it cuz we just dont use it anymore.

She also has a TJ with under 40,000 miles. It wont start without jumping the solenoid. I had to pull the horn relay because it is stuck on, etc.

Yay! Go chrysler! :rolleyes:

We are selling her 4runner for $300 more than we paid for it 11 years ago. :D

I sold my wife's 01 with 200k on it for $10k. It WAS essentially a one owner rig though with impeccable maintenance. What's your budget? I see some decent ones for $6-7k.

John

Looking to spend around 10-15 for a good one

Looking to spend around 10-15 for a good one

There ten or so between here and Portland for that in Craigslist. Trying to convince the wife to go with a Sequoia, but apparently they're ugly. Yet she's a big fan of the QX56/Armada? :rolleyes:
If you're going with a Tahoe/Burb some of the years had a bad oil burning problem related to the 8-4 gas saving BS. We had a Burb that would burn all the oil in less than 3k miles with that issue....

There ten or so between here and Portland for that in Craigslist. Trying to convince the wife to go with a Sequoia, but apparently they're ugly. Yet she's a big fan of the QX56/Armada? :rolleyes:

If you're going with a Tahoe/Burb some of the years had a bad oil burning problem related to the 8-4 gas saving BS. We had a Burb that would burn all the oil in less than 3k miles with that issue....

Yeah there are a few at a stealership that had shitty ratings that I'm not trying to go to. I'm not in a huge rush but want to get something before the van completely gives up someday