• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

shackle angle

91runner

would i be better off moving the spring hanger forward or the shackle back

pictures131.jpg

Uneducated opinion here, but if moving either one creates the same effect, just move whichever one is easier to move and/or will give you the angle you need or want.

~T.J.

Show us what it looks like at full droop. then you'll get better answers. Also what is the actual shackle length (between bolt holes)?

from center of bolt to center of bolt is 5''. ill get pics of it tomarrow. at full droop its almost at 90 degrees

it hits when i start to flex it. they are suposed to be just about vetical with all the weight on it

Says who?

x2 you don't want almost vertical somewhere around 60 degrees works decent as far as flex and ride goes.

Try a 6" shackle it'll be fine as far as sway goes. lots of toyota's are running 6" shackles in the front.

Worse case if you don't like it put a brace in between the 2 make it look like an "H"

Last edited:
im just goin off what all-pro, trailgear and marlin say. im still kinda new to the whole leaf and shackle thing. i drove an ifs 4-runner with coils in the rear so any help is apreciated. thanks guys ill try the 6'' and go from there.

do you guys think these would do?
widebodyshackles_small.jpg

If your already having a problem hitting the frame wouldn't those shackles be 10x worse??? I dont know toyotas at all I'm old skool iron guy but dont you mount those with it angled back?? i mean like the L pointed back or point down??? Those just confuse me now and the fact I mite have had one too many cold ones:beer: tonigt. . . lol:redneck:

I do however know that these guys are right crusty and pook you dont want a vertical shackl angle with the vehicle weight on it, you would get virtually no down travel and the ride would be ****. . . I would try the longer shackles first and just weld a brace in the center to start. . . with a wheeling rig i dont think you can ever over beef something!

The shackles pictured I thought were meant for trucks where the shackles will hit the body mounts or something if they were straight?

~T.J.

they are meant for trucks useing longer springs up front without having to move shackle position and yes so they dont hit the body mount

Last edited:
You guys are over thinking shakle angles. It just needs to have a full range of motion without hitting the frame or getting close to flipping the other way. It's hitting the frame now so it's obviously wrong now. Verticle may or may not work well.

If this were my truck, I would move the front spring hanger forward about 2". This would solve the shackle angle problem, create more clearance between the fender edge/tire, and lengthen the front driveline. Bumpstops and limiting straps will keep the shocks and springs from overtraveling.

Last edited:
I hope that isn't FULL droop...

I would guess not as his tire is like a whole 20" off the ground......

When I set up leafs I hang the spring's, set the shackle straight up and down at droop, wherever it end's up ride height oh well, usually a little shy of 45 degrees depending on the spring. Another problem with laying the shackle's back super far is that it allow's your front end to walk way out in front of the truck when you are climbing (moving even further from the tcase), causing you driveline to fall apart, and also causing the pinion to dive even farther down, causing the driveline to bind. It's only leaf's....... there is only so much you can do.

Latest posts