• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Single Seater Electrical

John Galbreath Jr.

38 Special & Solo Buggy
Well, got it winched off the trailer and into the garage. First time I have had to use the lift as a winch point. It appears the transmission fan wire got overheated where it passed by the headers on the drivers side. Some collateral wire damage. It got everytihing going to the back of the buggy except the winch that was wired later.

Transmission Fan
Fuel Pump
Air Compressor
Tail Lights
ARB rear plastic line
and Battery Hot (00 Wire) to dash.

All the components work when direct wired, engine runs with fuel pump straight wired.

So all is good.

I will go to Gardendale Performance tomorrow and try to get someting better for heat shielding. I had it run through a fiberglass mesh sleeve. The engine bay is just so tight. I have no choice but to have the wiring just about on the headers. I can get about 1/8" gap, but that is it.

I have replacement blue ARB line, so good there.

Roll did nothing except dent some tubing. My super tall stinger worked perfect. It went from stinger to roll cage without hitting the hood or coilover upper mounts. That is the first time I have rolled the single seater. Sure, I have stuck the roll cage in the dirt several times, but a first to be hanging upside down from the belts. And of course, landing in a mud puddle. Only one I think I saw all day.

I rarely wear my shoulder harnesses and a helmet. Ricky asked everyone to harness up for every trail, and wear a helmet if you had one. Thanks Ricky. I see me wearing both more often now.

John Galbreath Jr. said:
I rarely wear my shoulder harnesses and a helmet. Ricky asked everyone to harness up for every trail, and wear a helmet if you had one. Thanks Ricky. I see me wearing both more often now.

thumb.gif

Ill agree with you on the RickyB safety speech aobut the 5 points. I have never worn mine all day long everytime I got in it before, but after doing so I think Ill just make it a habit I felt great all day in the buggy with them and when we were ready for the obstacles a simple tug to tighten em up dammit was all the wait needed.

Good stuff RB, thanks for playin dad. :flipoff1:

My crow belts have sew in pads, so they are comfy as **** to wear. I wear them pretty much all the time!

you may look into running that stuff through ThermoTec sleeves.

"This new silicone-coated fiberglass fire sleeving is designed to protect wires, cables and hoses from high-temperature exposure, liquid spills and occasional exposure to flame.

The high-quality sleeving is made in the U.S.A. from braided fiberglass and coated with a compound silicone rubber. It is capable of continuous protection to 500ºF and short-term exposure thru 2200ºF. "

It comes in a couple different sizes 1/2", 3/4", 1"

I have a little bit on my buggy to protect my remote oil filter lines from the exhaust. Its good stuff but about $10 a foot. I got mine from Jegs, but I'm sure its available all over.

Matt O. said:
My crow belts have sew in pads, so they are comfy as **** to wear. I wear them pretty much all the time!

John check Summit, they have a ton of options in the heat shield dept. Plus most things are 1 day shipping to us

search "firesleeve"

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MAA-29082&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Matt O. said:

I have those too, and will never have a set of harnesses without them.

InDaShop said:
you may look into running that stuff through ThermoTec sleeves.

"This new silicone-coated fiberglass fire sleeving is designed to protect wires, cables and hoses from high-temperature exposure, liquid spills and occasional exposure to flame.

The high-quality sleeving is made in the U.S.A. from braided fiberglass and coated with a compound silicone rubber. It is capable of continuous protection to 500ºF and short-term exposure thru 2200ºF. "

It comes in a couple different sizes 1/2", 3/4", 1"

I have a little bit on my buggy to protect my remote oil filter lines from the exhaust. Its good stuff but about $10 a foot. I got mine from Jegs, but I'm sure its available all over.

That is what I had. I am going to order the 3/4" then sleeve it with the 1" and see if that helps. Headers are already wrapped also.

Mr. Underkill said:
the wire I use at work has 115*c jackets on it. It might help to look for a better grade of wire too.

Great idea. I had not thought of that, I should have, as I have seen it in fireplaces befroe.

Any idea on a manufacturer or what to search for?

John Galbreath Jr. said:
Great idea. I had not thought of that, I should have, as I have seen it in fireplaces befroe.

Any idea on a manufacturer or what to search for?

my bad it's 105*C, not 115.
P might also have some leads from what he works on.

try here
http://bestboatwire.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=23

Mr. Underkill said:
my bad it's 105*C, not 115.
P might also have some leads from what he works on.

try here
http://bestboatwire.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=23

Thanks. I found this from Summit, by Painless Wiring.

Description:

made with a stranded-copper core and has cross-linked polyethylene insulation that offers superior abrasion resistance, yet still can stand up to 275 degrees F and 600 V. This wire is lightweight and easily routed, and it exceeds OE specifications for underhood use.

-----

275F is 135C.

John Galbreath Jr. said:
Thanks. I found this from Summit, by Painless Wiring.

Description:

made with a stranded-copper core and has cross-linked polyethylene insulation that offers superior abrasion resistance, yet still can stand up to 275 degrees F and 600 V. This wire is lightweight and easily routed, and it exceeds OE specifications for underhood use.

-----

275F is 135C.

hell yeah, thats some quality wire. slide it up in some firesleeve and be done.

P said:
Ill agree with you on the RickyB safety speech aobut the 5 points. I have never worn mine all day long everytime I got in it before, but after doing so I think Ill just make it a habit I felt great all day in the buggy with them and when we were ready for the obstacles a simple tug to tighten em up dammit was all the wait needed.

Good stuff RB, thanks for playin dad. :flipoff1:

AMEN, I agree with using them instead of just lap belts. Hells Revenge had me drawn up a few times and will happliy be wearing all the right pieces from now on. Thanks Ricky B dad. thumb.gif

damn john that sucks do you think you will have it together for this weekend

tonka toy said:
damn john that sucks do you think you will have it together for this weekend

Yes should. Part of the Summitt shipment is Atlanta (tomorrow), but part is Ohio (Wednesday or Thursday). Should take about 4 hours to get it done. Already found and fixed the ARB line. Found and fixed the ARB switch problem I had early when we were stacking tires.

CHASMAN9 said:
John, let me know what night you are going to working on it. I got a little time to help. thumb.gif

I will be doiing it tommorrow afternoon, night. Really a one man job, but come on by, I'll watch you work :flipoff1:

John Galbreath Jr. said:
I will be doiing it tommorrow afternoon, night. Really a one man job, but come on by, I'll watch you work :flipoff1:

Holler at me when you want me to start, I'll be late :flipoff1:

Let me know