• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Single Seater Update

John Galbreath Jr.

38 Special & Solo Buggy
While riding at Jemison last weekend, the Single Seater started running like ****, then about 1/2 mile later, it quit. As it would idle and quit as soon as you mashed on the gas, I figured fuel pump. Also the fule pump is the only part I carry on board as a spare. So, while most of the others were headed to the power lines, I was swapping out a fuel pump. Of course, in a poison ivy patch, and the first thing I do is get a small cut on the pad on my finger. Not hurt, but bleeding a lotmore than it should, then \the continual dousing of gas, kept my mind on it. The fuel pump swap went fairly quick, after I figured out how to get it out with fuel line and wires attached.

Fixed and back on the trail. Ran good for about a mile. Same thing. Limped it right at idle to the power lines. Now I am going to replace the fuel filter. Don't have a spare. Fuel line too tight to route around it. I decide to try a 1/4" socket. Well a socket is too slippery to hold back 50 pounds of fuel pressure. Damn thing looked like a fountain. Chris Smith (thanks bud) had a one sided barbed fitting. Double clamping both sides and I got it to finally stop leaking.

Decide to try one of the powerline hills. It ran good and did the steep hill pretty easy. Back to the bottom, and to a sceond hill, started sputtering again.

Now down for the day, and Greg Cary (thanks man) gets to pull me back out. Some high speed ups and downs on the power lines and a LONG tow back to the parking lot. Running some of the time. Man-handling the steering much of the time. Winch it on the trailer and head home.

Now to SummitRacing.com. I order all new fuel line and fittinges, going AN fittings this time. I got tired of trying to stop the leaks. Got a new distributor cap, rotor, and coil, just in case fuel was not the real issue. And a fuel gauge for diagnostics.

Now to today when the brown truck arrived. Installed the fuel gauge, 40 pounds at idle, drops to 20 with throttle. Hard throttle (in neutral) drops to 10 pounds. So, I am headed the right direction, remove new fuel pump and bypassed fuel filter. Only a dribble out of the tank. Cut the hose about 3" from the tank. Only drops. Found problem. Now there is just a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the tank, no screen no filter.

Finally get all the gas out and found my clog.............

Hold on, wait a minute...........

Had to change to phone. This little ****er did a header off into the tank and his pointed head was a perfect seal for the tank outlet.
4104249b-34e5-04d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my left thumb.

Talk about your fuel additive. molaugh Craziest **** I have ever seen, can't make this up. :****:

How did he get in there? Just sometime when you had the cap off and weren't looking?

You would not believe the rodent-caused mechanical problem stories I have from my years working at the dealership. Those were some of the most difficult problems to track down and there were more than you would think!

holy ****, that's some JR luck right there!
That pump musta had some suction to wedge its head in the outlet fitting :****:
Definitely campfire material :dblthumb:

Your lucky that there dragon don't shoot fire!

Some strange arse crap right there now! molaugh

I work at a car dealer. Had a car one time that would only run like crap every once in awhile then run fine. Took me a little while to figure out but the dudes girlfriend had dropped a payday bar down in the tank. Enough of the peanuts would have to stick to the sock in the tank to make it loose fuel pressure and run bad. Guy sadi he could go a few days sometimes with no problems then sometimes wouldnt' get out of his driveway good.

Latest posts