• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Six Shooters vs 5th stud

How do you forge a alredy cast part? I thot it was one or nuther. Like cranks.
And titenin the nut on the stud repeatedly will pull the threds out.

Trail-Gear has em, or you could really upgrade and jump up to D44 ARP studs. Just have to tap the knuckle for the larger stud I believe.

i know who sells them, all 8 of my top studs are TG ARP i was refering to the picture above that says arp studs and 5th stud but there were no arp studs in the pic!!!!!!!!!

arp studs

and the 9/16's studs from arp look almost identical except for a slightly different finish... unlike the toy ones that have the hex head and zinc color. I was under the impression that parts mike only carried arp stuff... so that's what i thought i ordered. but either way i think my setup should hold to 35's and 37's in the future

Biggest thing is keeping the studs tight. Check/tighten them each time you go out, it's not like its difficult. After i learned the hard way on my first rig, now before i go out i just hit them with the impact. I'm running 39.5's with stock studs and no 5th stud and i'm doing great.:awesomework:

I hope you tighten your U-bolts everytime as well.:eeek:

Wow, Im gonna have to start doing that. :awesomework:

Hey guys no need to upgrade your studs. :mad:

Sorry i was stating the obvious but probably at least half the studs that fail are from retards not tightening there **** before/after wheeling. Maybe most of you guys don't know that since your too busy wheeling through your computer. :rolleyes: Whoops, sorry if i offended :fawkdancesmiley:

They are made of cast steel then forged to straighten up the grain structure and strengthen the part.

Can they be welded sure I'd imagine they can. I've built a handful of crossover arms and they welded great just like any normal piece of steel should weld. I've never personally welded on a knuckle so I can't tell you how it welds but I did include a set of 4xlabs 6 stud plates with my yota axles to go with my Marlin 6 stud steering arms.

I just showed this post (and others that follow) to the engineers in the office. They all agreed you are a ****ing idiot, some said they never laughed so hard in their life, one said you backstroke like Michael Phelps.
Casting and forging are two completely different processes a forged part is "formed" into shape usually with hydraulic force where a casting is "poured" into a mold. A forged part is generally stronger than cast but more expensive, he said you can probably forge a knuckle but the machining required wouldn't be cost effective. On the other hand a steering arm is relatively easy to forge because it is far less complicated than the knuckle.

I just showed this post (and others that follow) to the engineers in the office. They all agreed you are a ****ing idiot, some said they never laughed so hard in their life, one said you backstroke like Michael Phelps.
Casting and forging are two completely different processes a forged part is "formed" into shape usually with hydraulic force where a casting is "poured" into a mold. A forged part is generally stronger than cast but more expensive, he said you can probably forge a knuckle but the machining required wouldn't be cost effective. On the other hand a steering arm is relatively easy to forge because it is far less complicated than the knuckle.

I shot him down awhile ago and he just kept flyin hi.:rolleyes:

Thank you for grounding him.:awesomework:

Oh darn I was wrong about something woa is me whatever shall I do now... :haha:

Don't talk like you know something when you really don' then use a lame cop out when your found to be a fraud. I wonder how much more of your tech info is complete BS.

What the materials are made of and whether they are cast or forged or weldable has something to do with the O.P's question...keep it civil fellas...will clean out the irrelevent bs shortly...If you want to debate metallurgy in general, then start a new thread!!!:awesomework:

What the materials are made of and whether they are cast or forged or weldable has nothing to do with the O.P's question...keep it on topic fellas...will clean out the irrelevent bs shortly...If you want to debate metallurgy then start a new thread, and I will merge the related posts to it...!!!:awesomework:

It has everything to do with it.

We are talking about knuckles. (six shooters and 5th studs both go on knuckles)

the 5th stud requires welding (reason we are talking about welding and the different materials that are being welded)

Then another feller mentioned the weld on 6 stud kit (completely relevant to this thread and its subject content)

The weld on kit needs to be welded on to a special material if its even going to work. making the further discussion relavant to the topic.

Then some MISSINFORMATION was thrown out there on welding these products up properly. When such info was debated it was found to be false.

Without such a debate a noob might have welded upa rather unsafe setup and killed a busload of nuns.

But hey get to housecleanin.:D

Yeah well, ok, ya got me :booo:....yes it does, but don't the kits requiring welding come with some sort of instructions to help from said noob botching it together???
As for irrelevent material...keep it civil from here on out (not pointing the finger at you, just a general request)......and I will let it ride as long as I don't get instructions to do otherwise...:awesomework: There are a few posts in here that will go buh-bye, as they are not relevent...

Yeah well, ok, ya got me :booo:....yes it does, but don't the kits requiring welding come with some sort of instructions to help from said noob botching it together???
As for irrelevent material...keep it civil from here on out (not pointing the finger at you, just a general request)......and I will let it ride as long as I don't get instructions to do otherwise...:awesomework: There are a few posts in here that will go buh-bye, as they are not relevent...

nahhhhhhh i believe every website that sells products that need to be weld have a disclaimer that states "welding should be done by a professional, or someone that is an expierenced welder......... welding skills"

I.E. if you don't know what the fawk your doing STOP..... then again ,what would be have to laugh at ....when it breaks latter :fawkdancesmiley::haha:

Latest posts