• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Skeeter's Shakedown & Tranny Mounting Tech/Carnage

under_psi

CROSS POST POLICE
man calyton is awesome....we arrived yesterday about 4pm and spooled my winch line onto the 9,0rc and headed out....quickly found out that i had gone a little light on teh n2o in the rear coilovers.....would be adding some when we got back to the A&A motel.....

however, i will make one observation......it's a shame that i am already back home in jacktown...jimmy the blade and i left around 7am this morning....got back to jackson in less than 8 hours....$400 worth of gas, 16hrs of driving....30 minutes of wheeling.... :'(

i was edging up on the first big ledge on jeff's ledges and was told to shut 'er down by dave and pat....catastrophic failure.....

a broken tranny case will ruin a weekend unless you carry a spare..... ::) atlas snapped right off the back of the tailhousing....i will be ordering me a tranny to MY specs now...and uh, adding a roark support ring.....to the backside of the atlas...as, i believe that this is what caused the failure...it's a shame that i did not order one when i pm'd them on pirate a month or two ago after seeing 4 people i know breat th350 cases....Joel, P, pat, and someone else i can't remember...

buggy worked pretty good from what i got to see...lol....dave and pat got a few pics....they are still there riding....as i should be....

maybe they will be kind enough to add to this thread.... :(

Re: Clayton, OK 7/2008

So what happened? Your atlas didn't have any support so it cracked the tranny it was bolted to? If so, that sucks but I know other people that have made the same mistake. It's just too heavy to run that way. Bummer.

you don't carry spare trannies? :flipoff1:

ouch.
that does suck, but part of the sport. I hate that ****. you'll get em next time.
I now brace my transfer cases in about 8 spots and run strut rods up to the engine. next rig will be solid mount mid plate style. :woody:

I did that once in Las Cruces except my driveshaft blew apart and took out my tranny case. I drove 14 miles total after driving 14 hours to the trail. We have all done it. Wish it had happened up here instead.

This is the way I did mine in the Bash Buggy....I like it lots better than the Roark. This way if your adapter bolts were to loosen, nothing can back out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

DIZZAMMM!

Holy chit that sucks. Well now you got something to work on, LOL. Sorry couldn't resist the jab.

My atlas has the Roark style ring supporting the rear. But I really really like Nolens style. I may mod that in, in Paola this week if I end up with time.

i really think that the main culprit, aside from being under supported, is that the rear coils were severly UNDER charged...

i actually think it broke on the way TO the trai....i was carrying a decent pace up teh hill to drop the $ in the new box, and there were a few bumps that hit REALLLLLLY hard.....the rear end just came down on the shock bumps....not good...

i need some air bumps too.....

ROCK SKEETER said:
i need some air bumps too.....

I can make you a helluva deal on some SAW's, and Joel can have them in Mississippi in a hair over a week.
Let me know, I haul for kansas on sunday, so i can toss them in the trailer.

InDaShop said:
I can make you a helluva deal on some SAW's, and Joel can have them in Mississippi in a hair over a week.
Let me know, I haul for kansas on sunday, so i can toss them in the trailer.

i appreciate that....pm me your $, but i really wanted new ones....

i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO broke it aint funny...just bought 2 winches, 2 billy johnson driveshafts, and a bunch of other little ****, not to mention that i just i just drove 900 miles round trip for nothing....lol....

Louis. For what you are doing, you should not need the bumpstops. Hell, mine are 6" above my axle and I only get into them if I am jumping. Charge the shocks, maybe even try a higher spring rate. I actually have some springs up here that I am going to sell if you want to try some of them out before I do.

Why would bottoming out your suspension kill your tranny case? I bet it was torque not shock that did it. In fact, as far as you know the case could have been junk. Make sure you get a K case to replace that one. They came out of trucks and have more webbing and are stronger.

What Nolen said!

Also prolly pointing out the obvious but a "K" case, yeah they have a 4" raised "K" on the bell housing. When you see one you'll be like, "Oh that a K-Case".

Sorry i didn't know what one was for a long time, and just went along with it, then I saw one and was like "Wow, it all makes sense now"

Good luck man!

this was a K case....and nolen, you aint the only one who likes to hauls ass in the car at times....i may need them one day.....sooner than later....

and, slamming the chassis down hard on the shock bumps is some hella shock load....just think, the rear slams down hard, the entire rear weight of the atlas is hangin back there.....definitely could have caused or helped it....it is broken at the top pass side mounting bolt for the atlas....seems legit to me...

Man that sucks about your trip. My Stak is a HEAVY beeootch so I supported the back of it from the beginning, but I still wonder if it is enough. :dunno: Also, in the rear of my buggy I run the Timbren bumps (cheaper alternative) and run air bumps in the front.
Well, if you decide to go back to Clayton after you get it fixed, give me a shout. I am only a few hours away. thumb.gif

On a side note. Your buggy looks mean as hell! drool

Beyer said:
Man that sucks about your trip. My Stak is a HEAVY beeootch so I supported the back of it from the beginning, but I still wonder if it is enough. :dunno: Also, in the rear of my buggy I run the Timbren bumps (cheaper alternative) and run air bumps in the front.
Well, if you decide to go back to Clayton after you get it fixed, give me a shout. I am only a few hours away. thumb.gif

On a side note. Your buggy looks mean as hell! drool
are the timbrens cheaper now that there are bumps out that are $300 for both bumps with cans?

I know what your going through Louis, me and Neal drove all the way to Hot Springs only to ride the main roads in my jeep a few years ago.

blacksheep10 said:
are the timbrens cheaper now that there are bumps out that are $300 for both bumps with cans?

Not much cheaper. Who has them for that price? :eek:
I think I have about $70-$80 in my 2 timbrens, but I made my own mounts.

Louis, I realize that you want to go fast. I also realize you said you were broke.

Air bumps are nice to have, but unless you are bombing around a lot, they are no where near necessary if you have your coilovers properly sorted out.

Also, your buggy was built bottomed out. Did you see anything when it was sitting there that would have broken your tranny?

I did not. I am 99.9 percent certain that bottoming out your suspension would not cause your tranny to break.

Your shafts are new or I would say check those for binding.