• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

smoke and heat

79chevy39.5's

ok so its 10 degrees and my truck (1976 toyota 20r) is getting up near overheating on the gage on the highway
gage stays in middle on days even in the 100's
and sometimes when i let the truck idle it smokes blue smoke but its not burnin any oil and not coolant?
wtf is going on

Check the water pump belt tension. Mine was doing that once, and it was because the belt was slipping on the highway, but it ran nice and cool any other time.

~T.J.

oh i should mention it goes back down it like fluctuates
i think the headgasket but none of the fluids are changing its trippin me out

How old is the radiator? Replace it or rod it out if it's old, it's probably plugged or clogged up with deposits. This is very typical behavior for Toyotas with old radiators... it'll stay cool around town but as soon as you get moving on the highway where you need the extra cooling to keep the heat down at higher RPM's, a clogged up radiator is marginal if not downright ineffective.

Didn't we just have this conversation recently? :flipoff:

[EDIT]: Also... as far as the blue smoke goes.... it's oil burning. It might not be a lot, so you don't notice it on the dipstick, but that's what it is. It can be one of two possible things... worn piston rings or leaky valve stem seals. Either is possible on a higher mileage motor. Does it bother you much? If not, leave it be... if it does, start saving for a head rebuild or a block rebuild.

Last edited:
ok so i figured this out.......t-stat, and choke was stuck on so bad that the smoke was from that.....its not high mileage not even 100 yet its at 97000 right now:flipoff: