• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Snowmobiling

good luck putting a turbo on your ultra:rolleyes: it won't work, for some reason no one has ever made a turbo work on an ultra bottom end, has something to do with the volume in the crank case, i no people who run them on an xcr bottom end with no problems:awesomework:

Hairdryer! (or 3):redneck:

totally addicted to riding, nothing comes close to riding a snomobile i have been riding since i was 3, i still have my first sled, 1970's artic cat kitty cat:D this thing is pimpin with the leaperd skind seat, wish i could post a pic:mad:

i have been riding since i was 3 also, my first sled was an 80's Yamaha 440 SS, it was Super Sweet:D

Ultra bottom end is the same thing as the xcr, have both of them! Seen a few turbo ultra's. Can work just not much market or reason for it with the big twins now. Trust me if I had money I would to build a bad ass triple with a turbo:) So we have some snow, who is going riding?

Ultra bottom end is the same thing as the xcr, have both of them! Seen a few turbo ultra's. Can work just not much market or reason for it with the big twins now. Trust me if I had money I would to build a bad ass triple with a turbo:) So we have some snow, who is going riding?

ultra bottom end is a little diff. if i remember right. well maybe they upgraded the xcr to the ultra bottom somewhere in there, just like the xcr800 (formerly known as Storm)

i am hiking stevens pass for alittle snowboarding tomorrow, and no they are not the same bottom end, im positive, i no a few that have ran turbo'd ultra bottom ends and they never last,

ultra bottom end is a little diff. if i remember right. well maybe they upgraded the xcr to the ultra bottom somewhere in there, just like the xcr800 (formerly known as Storm)

correct:awesomework:

now throw an xcr 800 top end on an ultra bottom end, and now you have very reliable 190+ hp:cool:,

anyone have any experience with swappin an ultra motor into a 97 700 wedge chassis with crc style steering:corn:?

Ok the sled above is a xcr 800 triple, which does not share one piece from the boat anchor storm:) We had a few ultra mods, trust me they are almost identical. Side note anyone needing the dragon recall Im the sled tech now at Clems Enumclaw powersports and have done a million by now! If you have a 08 make sure the replace the intake boots which separate just looking at them! Ya the yamy is a fat pig but Impules turbo are getting almost 300hp pump gas and that makes the pig fly pretty good!:awesomework:

("anyone have any experience with swappin an ultra motor into a 97 700 wedge chassis with crc style steering? ")

now were talkin:cool:
97 ultras had an upgraded water pump, i think that is the best base you can get, then maybe an 800 top end from sever racing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shu8htDQaiQ :beer:

yea for sure i had a 96 bottom end at first then keith at union bay hooked me up with a 97 bottom end with a welded trued crank, that has a ported case.. tho case porting doesn't do ****, the 97 water pump like you say is alot better then the plastic one in 96

yea for sure i had a 96 bottom end at first then keith at union bay hooked me up with a 97 bottom end with a welded trued crank, that has a ported case.. tho case porting doesn't do ****, the 97 water pump like you say is alot better then the plastic one in 96

Doh...so i got a shitty waterpump? thanks guys:fawkdancesmiley: can i use a water pump from a 97 on my 96?:eeek:

Also, what do ya guys think about narrowing the ski stance on my 96 ultra, i was thinking about trying to get about an inch narrower on each side, cause right now, its wide like a lake racer.:looser: I was just thinkin about takin the control arms an narrowin them about an inch on each side and gettin the steering links re-tapped. but then i am unsure about the rear frame mount binding up, it could possibly be replaced with a hiem...

How bout some details on what i can do with other suspension setups from other sleds? Like the rear skid an the front suspension. Like i seen a guy with an ultra an he had longer shocks out of a gen II RMK in the front to get a little more travel and a little more height, all he had to do is make a bracket for his steering to keep stock steering geometry. I was also thinking you could add larger heims and use misalighnment spacers to get more droop from the front suspension.

And how about switchin from round side carbs to flat carbs?

I aint new to snowmobilin, just new to "modding" them:redneck:

An any ya guys on Snowest?:corn:

Last edited:
yeah sorry bud but your water pump is ****, don't know if you can swap it out for a newer one

Doh...so i got a shitty waterpump? thanks guys:fawkdancesmiley: can i use a water pump from a 97 on my 96?:eeek:

Also, what do ya guys think about narrowing the ski stance on my 96 ultra, i was thinking about trying to get about an inch narrower on each side, cause right now, its wide like a lake racer.:looser: I was just thinkin about takin the control arms an narrowin them about an inch on each side and gettin the steering links re-tapped. but then i am unsure about the rear frame mount binding up, it could possibly be replaced with a hiem...

and basically take your front shocks off your sled, put a floor jack under the front and lift it up when the skis start to come off the ground your travel has max'd out, measure it and get some shocks, if memory serves me right my shocks were only 2-3 longer then stock, but my sled sat alot higher in the front for sure, i was running stock trailing arms and never had any issues with binding/bending or anything

asfar as narrowing your sled you could probably just cut and retap your stock stuff, when i narrowed mine i has treavor in e-burg spin me up some nice alluminum ones with heims on both end. it was so long ago i can't remember his company or anything, i found him on snowest

How bout some details on what i can do with other suspension setups from other sleds? Like the rear skid an the front suspension. Like i seen a guy with an ultra an he had longer shocks out of a gen II RMK in the front to get a little more travel and a little more height, all he had to do is make a bracket for his steering to keep stock steering geometry. I was also thinking you could add larger heims and use misalighnment spacers to get more droop from the front suspension.

your carbs are fine... why fix it if it aint broken, if you haven't already get some vf3 reeds,

ultrarider21:awesomework:

Your carbs do work fine , wont gain much Hp but throttle responsive is alot crisper with the rack carbs. Bolt right up from a xcr 700/800. I myself cannot stand a skinny ski stance! Run at least 43in on everything I ride with most being 45in. But after saying that it is easy to do like mentioned. Depening on how much money you want to spend on the old ride you might be able to pick up a used holz or something instead of trying to update expensive shocks on a dated suspension.

We have put xcr/ultra motors in wedge/gen11 and IQR chassis. Pretty much all about making sure the motor is sitting square and the clutch center to center is to spec.

xmr256 on snowest:D

if you got an rmk, it should be 38" stance. i wouldnt go narower than that.
the rmks in 96 were not CRC correct?
the trouble with these older ones is that the skis go crossed when the front comes up, and splay out under compression. if you add travel, it just starts looking goofy and hard to align right.
i narrowed my 41" stance sks, which brings the front up a bit naturally, and i added gen 2 shocks to lower it (96 sks shocks were looonngg) and im not sure i would mess with one again.

Last edited:
I ride. I have an 06 m7 that will have a Cutler 800 top end on it this year and a mesh hood. Last year I just ran it with slp twins and rkt head. I love this sled, i'm impressed every time I ride it. I also have an 01 summit 800 that is pretty much a mod, rolled chain case, ekholm tunnel, 159 track, mesh hood, boss seat, light trailing arms.
m7
View attachment 37194View attachment 37195
Kinda funny, first post on a wheelin site is about sleddin

Last edited:
xmr256. hows about you do my recall 4 me? Pierrres is too busy and i want it done b4 the snow gets deep. I can load it on my sled deckand deliver to your any time. steve

Ok so ive been looking threw the thread and ive got some question. (Ive never been snowmobiling.) Ok so for a newbe that weights about 250lbs and im 6,2. what would be a good sled. ( i had other orvs, raptor 660, and i use to race moto gp on a gsxr1000. so to much hourse power may not be a problem. (i dont know) i live near white pass and the tapico area. if that makes a differance in the sled.

Ok so ive been looking threw the thread and ive got some question. (Ive never been snowmobiling.) Ok so for a newbe that weights about 250lbs and im 6,2. what would be a good sled. ( i had other orvs, raptor 660, and i use to race moto gp on a gsxr1000. so to much hourse power may not be a problem. (i dont know) i live near white pass and the tapico area. if that makes a differance in the sled.

what are you looking to spend? a good brand new sled for the NW will be 10-11 grand...

Latest posts