• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

So I think I messed up a little

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
Mounted my bump stops but seems the cans warped a little while welding. They're the king cans so the tolerance is pretty tight. Tried running a cylinder hone through them but wore out a new set of stones in about 30 seconds. Anyone have any ideas on how to get these things round again?

A piece of tubing that sleeves the inner diameter. Heat it up to the 500deg range with a torch then beat the sleeve tube all the way through then let it cool. Beat the sleeve back out

????

LightBnDr said:
A piece of tubing that sleeves the inner diameter. Heat it up to the 500deg range with a torch then beat the sleeve tube all the way through then let it cool. Beat the sleeve back out.

I thought those cans have 1 or 2 bolts that squeeze the bump stop housing so you can adjust them? Surely that's not a solid piece of tubing you welded on there?

????

Try welding a vertical line to the center of the can and see if that brings it out some. next time put a piece of 2" 1/4 wall DOM while your welding. It will help it retain its shape. Ive been there before except with the clamp style cans.

the_white_shadow said:
Try welding a vertical line to the center of the can and see if that brings it out some. next time put a piece of 2" 1/4 wall DOM while your welding. It will help it retain its shape. Ive been there before except with the clamp style cans.
Do the clamp style warp to the point that the bumps dont go in? I almost considered just cutting a slot down the side to basically make it a clamp style. Then just add a ring and nut to put a bolt through.

Beerj said:
Do the clamp style warp to the point that the bumps dont go in? I almost considered just cutting a slot down the side to basically make it a clamp style. Then just add a ring and nut to put a bolt through.

They do warp, but you can stick a screwdriver or prybar in them and pry them open a little.

I would make those clamp style like you described.

It looks like the top is capped? Where is the Schrader valve on your bump stops?

TBItoy said:
They do warp, but you can stick a screwdriver or prybar in them and pry them open a little.

I would make those clamp style like you described.

It looks like the top is capped? Where is the Schrader valve on your bump stops?
Yeah. The schrader is actually housed in a threaded portion that extends out the top. Then a cover plate, washer and nut hold the bump up and in.

scrambled said:
What are the two smaller holes for in the top on the can?
They're there to accommodate these allen head screws that stick up. No idea what they do though, haven't taken them apart yet.

weld on a small piece of tube (1.25" or so) for pinch bolt. Cut a slit up the side of the can to relieve the pressure and then you can use the bolt to tighten the can like a regular bump stop.

74_Chevota said:
weld on a small piece of tube (1.25" or so) for pinch bolt. Cut a slit up the side of the can to relieve the pressure and then you can use the bolt to tighten the can like a regular bump stop.
I assume you mean 1.25" as far as length, not diameter right?

I did this when I welded mine in as well. I went to the local welding supply house and bought a cylinder grinding stone 2" dia about 2" long with a radius on the end. It screwed right onto my 4.5" grinder. It opened them right up. Then I ran a hone stone so the can didn't scare the bump.

FYI.....everyone down here calls that type grinding stone a "donkey ****".....guys at the welding shop had no idea what I was looking for till I said "donkey ****".

I tried LIGHTLY sanding the first 2 inches of one of the bumps a little but it didn't make any difference so I abandoned that idea pretty quick. Ended up just slicing down the whole side. Only went about 3/4 of the way up at first figuring the solid disc on top would've kept the dimensions true up there but then they only went in 3/4 of the way. How the top got too tight is beyond me but I just cut it all the way into where the threaded Schrader housing goes through. This was a single pass with a 1/8" wheel. Now there's a 1/4" gap and the bump is still very tight in there. And yes, the bumps fit in the cans perfectly before I started molesting them.