• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

So what if I roll?

skipnrocks

If I roll my buggy or jeep and it ends up on its side is there a time frame that if you get it back over you don't need to worry about pulling plugs to see if there is oil?

Same question if I end up upside down. Is there a time period if you get flipped over that you need to worry about pulling plugs and purging oil?

Or does it have more to do with how long it sits after being rolled before starting? IE the oil will sit in the valve covers and when you get upright you should try and start it asap?

Or is it always better after a roll to get it on its wheels let it sit for a minute and pull the plugs better safe than sorry?

Re:

What engine ?

On a 22re it can lay on the driver side forever and won't matter.

With a decent pcv setup that doesn't dump oil into your intake, an inline engine is usually very forgiving for laying on its side.

V8s are different because the cylinders are angled

Just to be safe, pull the coil wire so the engine won't fire and crank it over a bit. If it is hydro locked on oil, the starter will stall and then you can pull the plugs.

this Re: So what if I roll?

I have been trying to figure this out too for my Jeep 4.0 inline 6 motor. I read some stuff about adding a catch can and routing the hoses tied into the PCV valve, or something like that. I could never really find a clear cut answer for how to set it up so that I don't have to pull the plugs after a roll.

Im sure everyone will have opinions but we all kno bout those as for my ol school sbc its been flipped 3 times lately as soon as the tires hit the ground I fire it back up and look for oil psi... No smoke and still running strong that's why I like to have a few buddies around to turn me back over asap .... My $.02 anyway :driving:

My 400 sbc sit on the driver's side for 30 minutes not long ago, it fired right up, I was nervous though :****:

on a stock LS (truck genIII anyway) the valve cover will dump a quart in the intake RIGHT NOW. A good PCV valve would help a ton, but I ran mine through a catch can with a vertical tube nearly to the top and back out to the intake so it would still have PCV

I've see. My buddies jeep on its side for 30 mins or longer before flipped over no issue. I flip my over on its side 15 mins max . It was locked up tight. We both were running 5.7 vortecs . So who knows ?

Just wire it up where you have a switch for the ignition, and a push button for the starter, that way you can spin it over and clear it out, then flip a switch and start it.

Re:

No rime or reason on 4.0's, some can stay on there side or lid for a hour, no problems. Others a few minutes on their side and #5 & #6 fill up with oil.

lots of non SBC experience here. When I had SBC's, the 2 paths it could take are normally through the rings or through the intake from the valve covers via the PCV hose. If you're worried the PCV valve in the valve cover that the hose is hooked to will let too much by (you can test it with a cup, a hole the size of the VC grommet, push valve in the bottom with hose on it, fill cup with oil, see if it runs out the hose) you can put a catch can in the middle.

^^^ The best is sbc or LS running but on its side, that intake pulls vacuum and actually sucks the oil out of the valve covers and into the intake. Oil taking the express train to hydrolock hell!

InDaShop said:
^^^ The best is sbc or LS running but on its side, that intake pulls vacuum and actually sucks the oil out of the valve covers and into the intake. Oil taking the express train to hydrolock hell!

It happen to me at grayrock. Rolled jeep over. Passenger side cyclinders were full of oil. Oil went into the intake which buggered up intake air sensor, maf, and a vent goes to the optishit distributor which filled it up.

InDaShop said:

So is there a work around fix for this scenario? :dunno: I've experienced this once, was leaned way over on the driver side and after several minutes I noticed smoke dumping out the exhaust. I just assumed my accumulator pushed it's reserve into the motor when my pickup was starting to starve for oil causing the overfilled oil level to get into the intake somehow.

kmcminn said:
It happen to me at grayrock. Rolled jeep over. Passenger side cyclinders were full of oil. Oil went into the intake which buggered up intake air sensor, maf, and a vent goes to the optishit distributor which filled it up.

quick derail...kmcminn....maybe I missed it posted for sale but did you sell the white YJ??!!!

tallnate said:
So is there a work around fix for this scenario? :dunno: I've experienced this once, was leaned way over on the driver side and after several minutes I noticed smoke dumping out the exhaust. I just assumed my accumulator pushed it's reserve into the motor when my pickup was starting to starve for oil causing the overfilled oil level to get into the intake somehow.
Might look into a dry sump kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk