• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

soft top repair

maverick98

Decided to take the day off and do some wheeling with a couple of buddies. Did 102 and 198 only prob was I slipped off a root heading up a tight spot and ended up shedding the back drivers corner of my soft top. Guess I should pay more attention when there is a bunch of broken glass on a tree:rolleyes: What is the best product to repair the top is (windows are all fine the tree caught the brace) besides black duct take :redneck::redneck:?

Thanks,

Kevin

Red duct tape!:cheer:

Most boat shops can lead you to a top repair in your area.:cool:

Go down to the local fabric store buy something close to what the top is made of. It most likely will not be as heavy.
Also get some frey check (spelling) and some fabric glue.
Go home and cut out 2 pieces (depending on the size of the tear/hole) from one to two inches larger all around the damaged area. Frey check all the way aound the pieces cut out, let it dry. Once they are ready place one on the inside and one on the out side (with no presure on the top, loose) glue the entire area your patches will be covering (inside and out). Plase the patches in place and keep them inplace till they are sticky enough to stay put. Let this set up (some time a heat gun or hair dryer will help cure time). Reinstall the top after its dry. If you did it correctly the patch will out last the rest of the top and will it will be a cheap fit. If you damamged any snaps let me know.

Last edited:
Any local upholstry shop should be able to sew it up, and add an under-patch for structural reinforcement. I've used several over the years, and had good luck with all of them. It's easier, if you choose one that specializes in boat tops. If you are unable to find an upholstry shop, call down to the local marina, and ask for a referral.

Most do-it-yourself sewing machines do not have the capacity to sew thru a heavy top and underpatch.