• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Spit sputter and sorta backfire?

skipnrocks

I had a recent issue pop up in my 98 burb with 5.7 when its cold it runs fine when its warm it usually runs fine but if I drive it then park then drive again it spits sputters and sometimes will try and backfire? No engine codes, it creeped up about a month ago and sometimes is real bad and sometimes will dissapear for a few days....

We've got a 2000 Ton pickup that does same thing. Runs good till you shut it off

04rubi said:
We've got a 2000 Ton pickup that does same thing. Runs good till you shut it off

Thats easy to solve i suppose just dont shut if off? LOL

Wonder if lack of fuel pressure would cause anything like this. I have never had that symptom usually just cutting out with fuel pump but I am not an expert.

The module is dirt cheap. Many times a tell tell sign is the module breaking down after they get hot. Cheapo fix if this is the problem..

COLT said:
The module is dirt cheap. Many times a tell tell sign is the module breaking down after they get hot. Cheapo fix if this is the problem..

Awesome. Thanks.. I will swing by oreilleys and grab one and give it a shot!! Ill report back next week

Alright guys I called oreilleys and they wanted to sell me a ignition module and a rotor 75 on the module and 35 on rotor. Those parts didnt sound right so I thought I would check back in and see if I could get some more technical names to make sure I was getting what I needed. I dont have a second rig to pull it apart and take parts down. I appreciate your guys input im not an engine guru. I can take one out put one in and rewire one but diagnose one not so much.

viseashane1 said:
my 99 did that and it was fuel pump

well I have a new pump sitting on the shelf in the shop I already paid for a few months back I will throw that in tomorrow and see how it does and if that doesnt work I will get the mod and rotor... I will report back tomorrow.

Well i didnt get it fixed but its running really good now??? I still think the fuel pump needs replaced, its a little loud. But shes running really good?

Well I got an update on this. so it came back with a vengance, backfireing like crazy. I called a buddy of mine who used to be a mannager for a mechanic shop and he told me to replace the crank sensor. Did that in about 15 minutes and the burb is back to running great.. Thank goodness what a deal... It was funny to drive through down town on a friday night with my car sounding like hand guns going off!