• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

spring over jeep Q's

toyotalandman

my buddy has a 78 cj5 and he wants me to help him do the spring over on it so i was woundering how hard it was, what it intails things like is there driveline work, brakeline exstention, and steering. so if you have done one can you throw out so things to help out thank.

welding the perches on the top of the axles is the easy part. You will have to look into longer brake lines and steering modification. Rear driveline work will probably be needed, but depends on what springs you use (ie how much lift you gain)

You will also want to add some sort of anti axle wrap device in the rear or he will be breaking springs and drivelines when he tries to climb or get friendly with the go pedal

What axles, engine, tire size? flat springs like yj or longer lift springs like waggy? shackle reversal?

things that may need changed:
shock mounts
shock length
spring perches
ubolts/plates
driveline length
brake lines
drag link/tie rod
parking brake cable/bracket

he has a 4'' rancho he had the drivelives made for it drivelines nw
engine is a 350 he has broken a couple of right rears from axle rap
already hes running a set of 33 want to go to 35

Unless he wants to built another version of high voltage or red hot I'd highly suggest getting either stock or RE 1" springover leaves for a wrangler at the most....

What axles, engine, tire size? flat springs like yj or longer lift springs like waggy? shackle reversal?

things that may need changed:
shock mounts
shock length
spring perches
ubolts/plates
driveline length
brake lines
drag link/tie rod
parking brake cable/bracket

I just swapped my U-bolt plates side to side on the back, and just flipped the passenger side front plate around so the wider spread holes are still used. I was able to reuse my drag link and tie rod with the addition of a 4" dropped pitman arm. I didn't have to relocate the parking brake cables either. :redneck:

Unless he wants to built another version of high voltage or red hot I'd highly suggest getting either stock or RE 1" springover leaves for a wrangler at the most....

I used stock springs and added the longest leaf from my 4" lift. They have worked out well.

I use the RE spring over springs, 5 years old now and still going strong. I do not have a wrap bar but do have a little axle wrap on the street. I run 35" tires with 44's front and rear. I did use high clearance steering, best mod I did the jeep goes perfectly straight down the road at all highway speeds.

I use the RE spring over springs, 5 years old now and still going strong. I do not have a wrap bar but do have a little axle wrap on the street. I run 35" tires with 44's front and rear. I did use high clearance steering, best mod I did the jeep goes perfectly straight down the road at all highway speeds.

Pics of steering??