• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering Help

Jaydog

I am setting up my steering for the Dana 44 I just put under my TJ, actually I am adjusting the upper control arms for the steering, anyhow how many degrees should I have on my steering arms, right now it is at 5 degrees with the tire straight, here are some pics to show what I am talking about.

steering002.jpg

steering001.jpg

You need positive caster... I think I was running 7 deg positive with my waggy(I cut an turned the knuckles to help with the low pinion. If you can I'd go a couple more degrees.

Last edited:
You need positive caster...If I am seeing that right you have negative castor. I think I was running 7 deg positive with my waggy(I cut and turned the knuckles to help with the low pinion)
Well that sucks, I just got the axles done :mad: that would mean that the spring pads are off.

unless that arm is at 90 degrees to the ball joints it will not be a good location to set things up. try to get a reading from the upper ball joint.

What I did was jigged the axle with the low pinion at 13 degrees, rotated the knuckles to 7 deg positive and then put the spring pads on level.

I'll try to get a reading off of the ball joint, I would assume that the spring pads should be level, I think the person that did your 60's, Joe, is the same one that did my 44.

That looks good. Sorry to get ya side tracked like that!
That's fine, I like to make sure everything is right before I tighten it down, now on to the high steer; I got this from Scott aka boxboy, and am trying to get the S&N highsteer to work on it, it was originally on a YJ, but I think that it may be a little tight for the TJ, unless I get a different steering arm, or maybe take it somewhere that can do it for me :;

That's fine, I like to make sure everything is right before I tighten it down, now on to the high steer; I got this from Scott aka boxboy, and am trying to get the S&N highsteer to work on it, it was originally on a YJ, but I think that it may be a little tight for the TJ, unless I get a different steering arm, or maybe take it somewhere that can do it for me :;
Good luck, post up when you get it done!