• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering Shafts

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
i'm having to set up a custom steering shaft and it's going to have a little bit mor of an angle than what the OEM rag joints can handle. What would you guys suggest instead. I've looked into a borgeson but they're spendy. if i could find 2 of those joints and a way to spline a shaft or something i'd be ok. are there vehicles i could look at taking one from to use on mine. Maybe some general steering info would be useful too. thanks.:cool:

I dunno what you have in there, but this might help...

XJ's have a nice little U-joint at the steering box, and a standard double-D shaft. If that joint fits your box, you're in biz, you just have to adapt the shaft to your upper shaft segment.

i will have a chevy steering box (2wd) to a bare shaft at this moment. I'm going to have to weld the other joint straight to the top half.

Boonie Buster said:
i will have a chevy steering box (2wd) to a bare shaft at this moment. I'm going to have to weld the other joint straight to the top half.
Just make sure the shaft has plenty of slip to it.........

Chevy vans (Astro and fullsize) use a steering shaft with u-joints on both ends. Will have to fab it altogether and find a shaft with the right splines on each end.