• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stony Lonesome

TBItoy

Question for all the people that have been there,

As a public state/county operated OHV park, how does it compare to private parks?

virtually the same? or are there significant differences that make it better/worse?

Also, do they/have they let real rock crawling trails be developed? and stay open? (not bulldoze a dirt ramp over every ledge and rock that pokes out of the ground)

In an OHV park catering to rock crawlers/Jeeps, sometimes "trail maintenance" means letting some of the trails washout/erode down to mostly ROCK and catching/controlling the silt-runoff at the bottom of the hill. Then the trail is fully developed and erosion is no longer an issue.

Last edited:
I would say the same or better. Much nicer cabins/ rv area / Bathhouses. Managers seem genuine about helping you get out if broke or making your day a fun one. But doesn't seem to hold a prestige among wheelers so think its underrated.

I know this doesn't exactly answer what you have asked, but here are my 2 cents: Stony is the new Grey Rock in that, to me, it is quietly becoming the "Southern Wheeling" Mecca.

It is clean, easily traveled, easy to park, and has trails for all rigs of life. With 3 or 4 big wheeling weekends a year the already amazing hardcore trails that Kel, Bobby, Tyler, and others put in place years ago would become the "Tub Rock, Bunny Slopes, Canyon, & Sunday Drive" of the future.

Last edited:
The park is run by Cullman county. Our governor has also directed state funding to the park as well.
In my opinion this is the best way to grow off roading in the southeast. Land not usable for farming can be converted to trail systems easily.
It is my understanding that Stoney is carrying it's own weight financially as well.

I reread and didn't really answer the question. Yes Stoney lets the trails develop naturally. New trails are also added often.
They do run the dozer over the main access trails. I agree with this practice because it allows stock vehicles access and aids in recovery of broken down vehicles.
The only trail/obstacle to my knowledge that the ran the dozer down was Who's your Daddy. This was shortly after an accident. Not a common practice.

I speak for myself only.

I'm pretty familiar with Stony. I live about 20 minutes from it.

The park has quickly became lots of people's favorite. This park is better maintained than any park I have ever been to. Right now they are currently building a new bath house and a legit on site car wash. The manager and the employees are very helping and will help you with anything you need. Very clean restrooms, clean cabins, parts, food, drinks, clothes are all available in the club house.

Only trails that get graded are for the stock Jeeps to keep them from busting glass and keep them coming.

They have not ran any equipment down who's your daddy in a very long time. Now occasionally they will smooth the wash outs up to get to the launch pad. The accident did not happen on that hill it happen down from it.

@ExpensiveDreams still goes out and cuts trails regularly. He is going to cut some Saturday. Most of the trails have the trees cut, then they are allowed to evolve with traffic and rain.

This is the premier park in the Southeast and will continue to get better.

I second what McMinn said.

I've been there twice as many times as any other park the last 2 years and I'm still finding good trails. There are a ton of trails that are challenging enough to be fun in a buggy but you don't feel like your going to die if you mess up.

Parking lot is always well kept and easy to get in and out of.
Staff is awesome.
Maps are good.
Truck stop with decent food and dollar general at the exit are nice.
They are keeping some necessary automotive stuff at the office now. Oil, trans fluid...

Who's your daddy and gutbuster are fun to play on. The hill between them I think is screwdriver scares me.

ITS A GREAT PLACE TO RIDE AND YE STSFF IS NICE AND THEY GAVE A BUNCH OF CABINS TO RENT AND THEY HAVE TENT CAMPING AND A PAVILION. THERE ARE TWO PARKING LOTS AND TONS OF ROCKCRAWLONG TRAILS AND THERES A TRACK UOU CAN JUMP AND RACE YOUR BUDDIES. I FONT RIDE IN MUD BUTT THEY GAVE THAT YOO

The place has a lot of potential and has come a long way in the past few years as we have scouted out and cut more hardcore trails. I'd like to see a Hardline Ride happen there to get more traffic on the harder trails. The place has something for everyone and the only downside is the no alcohol policy which turns off a lot people like Windrock but isn't really a negative for me.

Park rules are no alcohol .
Stony does active cooler checks at the main trailhead.
I've never been checked in the parking lot or campground area.

New trail @ExpensiveDreams aka Bobby cut today. Gared climbed it first and got to name it.
Screenshot_20191221-190818~2.png