• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stoney lonesome

I know this is not an on road vehicle but in the state of alabama it is a law that if you are over the age of 19 and get into the vehicle with someone the person driving is not liable for your injuries because you are getting into the vehicle with them willingly.

Some of the comments here are disturbing. People saying things like this guy was driving so its completely his fault is what got the country into this sue happy mess that shuts down anything fun start with. Dont get me wrong if he was falling down sloppy drunk its definately his fault, but it doesnt sound like anyone can confirm this so far. I completely agree that if he was that drunk he is liable.

But the key word here is "accident". comments like "he was driving it was his fault" opens everyone up to liability that could end this sport alltogether. I doubt many on this forum have managed to go their entire wheeling career without a rollover. Now imagine a tree branch, rock, unsecured tool, etc etc injured your passenger during that rollover. would the "he was driving its his fault" still apply. How about your rig knocking a rock loose at the top of a hill that rolls down and injurs a bystander? Does "he was driving its his fault" still apply to that accident too?

I definately dont condone drinking and wheeling, the sport is dangerous enough as it is. But saying this is 100% this guy's fault because he was driving is crazy. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that has ever rolled an offroad rig stone cold sober, it does happen. The truth is this is an accident and all the circumstances combined contributed to it. Everyone that wheels at Stony should know its dangerous, they signed a piece of paper at checkin saying they were aware.

d_daffron said:
Some of the comments here are disturbing. People saying things like this guy was driving so its completely his fault is what got the country into this sue happy mess that shuts down anything fun start with. Dont get me wrong if he was falling down sloppy drunk its definately his fault, but it doesnt sound like anyone can confirm this so far. I completely agree that if he was that drunk he is liable.

But the key word here is "accident". comments like "he was driving it was his fault" opens everyone up to liability that could end this sport alltogether. I doubt many on this forum have managed to go their entire wheeling career without a rollover. Now imagine a tree branch, rock, unsecured tool, etc etc injured your passenger during that rollover. would the "he was driving its his fault" still apply. How about your rig knocking a rock loose at the top of a hill that rolls down and injurs a bystander? Does "he was driving its his fault" still apply to that accident too?

I definately dont condone drinking and wheeling, the sport is dangerous enough as it is. But saying this is 100% this guy's fault because he was driving is crazy. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that has ever rolled an offroad rig stone cold sober, it does happen. The truth is this is an accident and all the circumstances combined contributed to it. Everyone that wheels at Stony should know its dangerous, they signed a piece of paper at checkin saying they were aware.

Yep, it's easy to cast stones (not the kind P drinks) when you're on the outside looking in.

d_daffron said:

This, so much this.

d_daffron said:

Boom.

The end.

Re: Re: Stoney lonesome

onepieceatatime said:
He might get laid in prison but I bet he won't like it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
:rolf:

I'm going to the SRRS race Saturday, GUARANTEED I'll see at least a dozen people in the crowd/pits/parking lot at a "sit down before you fall down" drunk, no seatbelt, and flying around with no regard. I'd put a hundo on it. Yes, I like beer. Yes, I like to have a good time. No, I am not a fun nazi. BUT... cooler checks and a no alcohol policy don't bother me one bit. Keeps the dumbasses out and the parks open.

d_daffron said:

So much truth right here, but we will not know the whole truth without actual video footage of the accident and a complete Toxicology report. There are always two sides to the story, but the end result is still the same because of the one thing that could have saved his/ her life. [size=10pt][size=10pt]WEARING A SEATBELT[/size][/size]. Drunk/high/sober or not, if they would have been wearing there seatbelts, none of this would have happened. Stupid is as Stupid does. NO EXCUSES....

ADMINISTRATOR

However....the driver is always responsible for the rig. That includes who rides and how safe they are. How is this even debatable.

74e4e0df16ac0be993b6b342baccd7eb.jpg
6b74ac2cb36a9ebf8ba9fc3f57bc20b7.jpg
69b20163c71f13dabfff0dd66a821b99.jpg

I rode all night with someone with our seatbelts on. I let my guard down when headed back to camp. We hit a embankment, rolled, and I was ejected. I don't blame the driver at all. Things happen and I was the one to blame for not wearing my seatbelt. 8 staples and cracked ribs, I considered myself lucky and learned my lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d_daffron said:

If he was sober we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

bbone said:
However....the driver is always responsible for the rig. That includes who rides and how safe they are. How is this even debatable.
. because a guy is going to jail because his passenger made a stupid mistake, by getting in with him, and NOT choosing to wear a selt belt. I see your point also, but people has to take accountability for there actions when they are old enough to know better, had this person been standing on the side of the trail and he came by and ran over her, I would say give him the electric chair, it's just a bad deal for all party's involved.

ForMud said:
Yes they do......And what does that have to do with this accident?

Why is it when I quote this it says Yes they do, and when I look at it, it says NO Nevermind it was Edited

dwa2469 said:
Why is it when I quote this it says Yes they do, and when I look at it, it says NO Nevermind it was Edited

Sorry about that, I'm at work and busy for a change.....Had to reread his question a couple of times.

We all have lived in glass houses at least once. Let's stop throwing rocks and just agree that without a few dumb mistakes, one of the best parks in America would still allow coolers, some one's son wouldn't be in jail, and some one's daughter wouldn't be in the ground

Re: Re: Stoney lonesome

DallasBlade said:
So, accidents don't happen resulting in people being injured/killed when sober?
Yeah, I dont get it. If he was sober and she got slung out, it would just be talked about as unfortunate, maybe even more emphasis placed on the main fault here - her not wearing a belt..... but because he was drunk, its automatically the booze's fault....no. It's no coincidence that those who place the blame solely on booze are anti-drinking on the trail even aside from this incident.

Lets say we go back in time and change the two main factors here independently ....him drunk and her not wearing a belt.

If he was never drunk, he still could have rolled and slung her out and she be killed.

If she had her belt on regardless of the driver's sobriety, her ass would still be alive today.

Now which one do you think mattered most in this scenario....hint - it wasn't the booze.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re:

And that's not my view just bc I am pro drinking on the trail either, that is an unbiased examination of the situation and how it could have went down. Drunk or not, she still could have easily been killed if she chose not to wear a belt.

Driver is responsible for the rig, I get that too...but I am for an adult's own accountability as others have mentioned.

Side story, me, the wife, and the stepson was at AOP in my old sxs Ranger last year. I specifically laid out to them both about always wearing your belts, wore them all day, then we were heading back to camp down the main easy trail and they went ahead and took them off and I didnt notice it. Got to the bottom and there was a ditchbank I pulled up to and gassed it to kinda pop a wheelie or whatever. Well they both went flying into the ****ing windshield, after I figured out they were both ok, I was mad as **** about them taking their belts off til the damn vehicle is stopped. We had a long talk about that ****. Was that the driver's fault? Hell no! And I was 100% sober.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No. The driver is responsible for the rig and the passenger, specifically for the safety of the passenger.