• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Strange freeze plug

Yep, it's a heat tag, looks like it's still got the center to it. Why is that a bad thing?

Because this was supposed to be a stock unmolested motor. This would imply it's not. Neither of the factory blocks I have here have this in them, nor have any other non-rebuilld I've seen. The cylinders look like someone took a handheld hone to them, and there's a small strange horizontal scratch in at least two of them. So I'm guessing it's from one of the infamous shitty rebuild companies.

Last edited:
Its a heat tab :haha:

Yep, so it appears I was lied to. Also found the timing guide was split in two and top bolt hole broken, and some jackass forced a coarse thread bolt into the rearmost exhaust stud hole. I'm glad I tore into it to check and reseal, but now I don't feel too good about using this block. Not sure why I even bought the motor at this point, getting sick of pouring money into a truck I've lost interest in wheeling.

Because this was supposed to be a stock unmolested motor. This would imply it's not. Neither of the factory blocks I have here have this in them, nor have any other non-rebuilld I've seen.

Ah, I see. The only time I've seen one of those on a non rebuild was one of those imported "40k mile" honda motors we threw in my sisters civic quite a few years ago. If it's domestic, it shouldn't be there though. Thats lame.

Ah, I see. The only time I've seen one of those on a non rebuild was one of those imported "40k mile" honda motors we threw in my sisters civic quite a few years ago. If it's domestic, it shouldn't be there though. Thats lame.

Toyota block, no clue who might have been the rebuilder as there's no other ID tags or anything that i've found.

Shane--it is possable the engine had a repair only. I have heard about some shops using those tabs after a repair to protect themselfs....

So what? You have a heat tab. Heat tabs can be on anything from rebuilds to just repairs. Sometimes junkyards will slap them on their engines even though there's no warranty. Why are you so devastated that the engine you have has possibly been remanufactured?

Shane--it is possable the engine had a repair only. I have heard about some shops using those tabs after a repair to protect themselfs....

They look like they were all replaced. Not just the one. I've already dealt with one raped motor, really didn't want to have to worry about this crap again.

So what? You have a heat tab. Heat tabs can be on anything from rebuilds to just repairs. Sometimes junkyards will slap them on their engines even though there's no warranty. Why are you so devastated that the engine you have has possibly been remanufactured?

Shane has bad luck :redneck:

Who said I'm devastated? I'm just pissed off.