• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22RE eats one spark plug. Always hungry.

CHOP SHOP

I am fighting a 4runner right now.

It eats one spark plug regularly.

Some background......

The rig ran awesome and had great power. Always left a black smoke/soot ring on the ground when fired up cold.

Started to develop a "miss". Found out it had a bad injector. Put a used injector in and it was bad too.
Went to DrInjector and got some new ones. Put all four in. Truck runs good now.

Fast forward a month and it get another "miss". Check the exhaust and find the cold hole, pull the plug and its nasty and cruddy and black.

Put new plug in, GREAT!!

But it gets hungry and eats about a plug a month.

It has great compression. The valves are set correctly. Im stumped? Why does it have to be so hungry? Im tired of feeding it plugs.

Could this thing have run lean with the bad injector and burned a valve seat thats not showing up on the compression gauge?

Also the rig puffs a bit of blue when started cold and inbetween shifts.

It pulls great and has high compression so I assume its bad valve seals or guides and not rings.

Could the valve stem seal/guide on one hole be wore enough to let it suck in oil at that rate?

The valve seals in my wheeler are so shot that on any hill where the oil runs back on the head and gets deep over the rear stems it starts smoking so bad its like James Bond smoke screen. Ive NEVER put plugs or any kinda luv in that engine and it runs GREAT and NEVER fouls a plug.

Why could this 4runner be so picky?

I would swap the inject to see if you have a lean one.

The four I put in just came from the tester and cleaner. Could be bad, I suppose.

Will a dead injector make it nasty looking like oil fouled? A dead injector should make it look lean on the plug, right?

Wire swap is in order to.

It runs perfect after replacing a plug tho, so I think the wires and injector could be ok. ???

I just pulled it and replaced it and now it almost has a tinge of green sparkle on the black crust. Ill try to get a pic.

Could this thing have a small crack or head gasket leak? Its been this way for awhile. I figured if it was a head gasket failing it would have **** the bed completely by now.

Oils looks great, no water. ????

Does it look like oil? It could easily be a bad valve stem seal to. I have had them not show any sign of oil(smoke) and yet foul a plug out.

It could be coolant too--kinda rare to only consume a "very" small amount.

U could have a bad oil ring letting oil suck up into the cylinder, but id suspect a worn valve guide and valve stem seal. Especially with the extra puff of smoke on start-up.

I have found oil rings will give off excessive smoke since the oil is coming from the bottom of the chamber.

is the block vent feeding back into the intake and some how feeding just this hole?

You would have a constant miss if that was the case regardless of the plug

I had a 20r with a cracked exhaust valve. It ran ok, but kinda rough.

But man, that thing would keybang! It would shoot a 14 inch long flame out the pipe on command anytime!

Ran allot better after I put a new valve in it, but it wasnt nearly as much fun!