• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stumped with an XJ

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
We have a 99 2wd XJ in the shop that wont start. We have replaced the PCM, CPS, & Cam sensor. The vehilce has no spark, no fuel pressure but will turn over for days. Guages dont work either. No blown fuses, no stored codes (in old PCM)

We a have verified the VSS and NSS. Both good.

We are stumped....:cool:

We had one that had a short inside the fuse block. Took awhile to find it.

On yours, did you check the relays in the fuse block by the battery? Those relays should be a Bosch style relay, and they're pretty easy to jumper (and override)

( <--- No knowledge of Jeep ECMs :D )

Why no fuel pressure? I assume the relay is supposed to run for a couple seconds when the key is turned to run, right?

Of course, I can't figure out a common thread with all the other stuff except maybe no power at all to the engine fuse/relay panel?

Last edited:
(1) Did you reprogram the new PCM???
(2) I had a late 90's GC, 4.0 kick my butt years ago---same symproms; ended up a bad fuel pump; if the pump no worky, PCM shuts down inj pulse/spark...try banging the fuel tank...or if you want to test it properly, check to see that power's getting back to the pump module....:awesomework::D

We had one that had a short inside the fuse block. Took awhile to find it.

On yours, did you check the relays in the fuse block by the battery? Those relays should be a Bosch style relay, and they're pretty easy to jumper (and override)

Yep all the relays are good. We can even manually turn on the fuel pump, so the pump is good.

Our damn scan tool wont flash it. It's been preflashed from napa, all we have to do is enter the vin and mileage.

I'm not 100% the PCM is bad. We get the same results with the old PCM.

Last edited:
Yep all the relays are good. We can even manually turn on the fuel pump, so the pump is good.

Our damn scan tool wont flash it. It's been preflashed from napa, all we have to is enter the vin and mileage.

I'm not 100% the PCM is bad. We get the same results with the old PCM.

What motor?

Here's one to REALLY kick your ass for! Had one happen at work, and it turned out the window was rolled down, but the doors were locked and someone reached in to unlock the doors to get it. That triggered the passive alarm system and required all the windows to be rolled up and doors locked and unlocked with the key with the PAT chip in it. Same thing happened in my wife's '99 Ranger, but I already knew about that trick and saved the day by phone!

Here's one to REALLY kick your ass for! Had one happen at work, and it turned out the window was rolled down, but the doors were locked and someone reached in to unlock the doors to get it. That triggered the passive alarm system and required all the windows to be rolled up and doors locked and unlocked with the key with the PAT chip in it. Same thing happened in my wife's '99 Ranger, but I already knew about that trick and saved the day by phone!

I'll give it a try. I dont think this one has an alarm because the key fob is black. But I did try the key in the door trick if it does have one. I'll have to try it with the windows up.

Now if we put a new PCM in it , it should start right?? Of course it'll trip some codes until we enter the VIN. But I think it should start.

Update: Vehicle fixed and running fine.

Problem. Customer removed #11 fuse. Why we have no idea. But once the fuse was installed the vehicle amost started, we finally had fuel pressure. Bad CPS, put on new sensor it started but had bad missfire. Bad cap and rotor. replaced and did tune up. Vehicle runs fine.

I still don't know why the customer had the #11 pulled. So we thought it was just an accessory plug. Online the only fuses it said to check were #9 and #10, # 8 was blown originally. We did replace that prior to finding there was a missing fuse.

So I'm glad that damn thing is out of the shop. What a PITA:mad:

cherokees are electrical nightmares. all my harnesses are melted, replaced light switch 3 times now. all i got to say is, i am sorry and good luck,....really.

Update: Vehicle fixed and running fine.

Problem. Customer removed #11 fuse. Why we have no idea. But once the fuse was installed the vehicle amost started, we finally had fuel pressure. Bad CPS, put on new sensor it started but had bad missfire. Bad cap and rotor. replaced and did tune up. Vehicle runs fine.

I still don't know why the customer had the #11 pulled. So we thought it was just an accessory plug. Online the only fuses it said to check were #9 and #10, # 8 was blown originally. We did replace that prior to finding there was a missing fuse.

So I'm glad that damn thing is out of the shop. What a PITA:mad:

JOOP posted this at 8:57 Tonight... To sum it up "IT" has been solved fixed stamped and sent the **** out

cherokees are electrical nightmares. all my harnesses are melted, replaced light switch 3 times now. all i got to say is, i am sorry and good luck,....really.

9:33 tonight rolles around and Meek her comes rolling up to the plate.. amititaly tring to help and Striking out. The truelly greatest thing is that he still doesent relize it has been....FIXED

The moral of the story

Read the hole thred b4 you open your mouth :fawkdancesmiley:

EDIT.. Forget that I still need a good laugh everyonce in a while..

:beer:

Last edited:
Wow, what's your ****in' problem??? Don't mind him meek--I'm sure he's not had his pipe and is alittle antsy...:fawkdancesmiley:

Anyhow, JOOP, glad to hear it's fixed;:awesomework: it's usually the one that kicks your ass is something stupid simple....:haha:

Wow, what's your ****in' problem??? Don't mind him meek--I'm sure he's not had his pipe and is alittle antsy...:fawkdancesmiley:

Anyhow, JOOP, glad to hear it's fixed;:awesomework: it's usually the one that kicks your ass is something stupid simple....:haha:

Yeh. I knew it was going to be something stupid. Whenever you have a problem child like this it's always something simple.

okay sorry. source, 18 month old child, no sleep, very tired, just chill out man. not everone is a computer geek. :) all smiles man. all smiles