• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

suspension unloading

Welderd

Need some help quick to get my buggy done

took it out for testing last weekend, and it works with some minor tweaking needed.

Major issue is suspension unloading.
In 2wd rear and holding the front brakes I can set the buggy on the passenger side (on flat ground w/out moving) --- almost all the way of 16" shocks on the driverside and 1" from full compression on the pass side.

4wd it's not so bad until a left turn or climbing. I'll have some video of it soon. I did a moderate climb and carried the front left a few feet in the air. turning left and climbing a 3' wall carried it too and it felt bad. it's somewhat controllable with driving and winch controls but I don't think it's acceptable and will suck racing and trying to go faster

front and rear 3 links with high panhards
at ride height I have about 175-180psi in front shocks and 210 in rear with about 6" of shaft showing for compression
shocks supposedly came with correct oil and valving - I asked about tweaking them and my sponsor is against it - says they're perfect for my app and to just add nitrogen

Are the shocks to far in at top?
something wrong with geometry?

Doesn't do it in fwd only, and doesn't do anything weird in rev

Only pics I have right now
both pics are at full droop, no nitrogen in shocks
rear suspension pic - shocks mount under the 2 inner bars that make the little "bed" area

IMG_5368.jpg

front

IMG_5128.jpg

wow alot of bad info out there on airshocks

one person said less oil, more nitrogen will increase spring rate and not ride height
next one said more oil less nitrogen
Called King directly - they don't know - really, thanks for the help. How much oil do you guys put in em - don't know that either, huh. How bout valving - not that either? great tech support there

They all said it's an air shock it's gonna do that - wait till you see it, it's rediculous

holy crap thats insane that King said that. I'm not too suprised though. Service sucks from everyone these days.

Watching this thread closely, I have never taken the time to really tune air's before and mine needs it fo sho. I dont know how much nitro or oil is in them. I just threw em on, charged it with a horrible regulator and put it on the trailer.

I will spend the time to get them figured out. Just gonna a be a bit before i do.
Travis post up any dealings or info you go through since we are in the same boat and lost as piss laughing1

I just put air shocks on the rear of the buggy. Fox came with 200#. Ride height good. BAD body roll. Increased to 250# and strapped back down to desired ride height. Works very well now. I have zero body roll.

I wish we had video of it on flat ground. He could just put it in gear, touch the gas and it would roll over and bottom out the shocks right away. Then you could drive it that way for a ways before it started to level out.

sounds like you need more nitrogen, how much are you running?
"ride height I have about 175-180psi in front shocks and 210 in rear with about 6" of shaft showing for compression"

bump it up to 230-250 and retest.

won't that just increase ride height? so to lower it back down I need to remove oil then right?

My rig did the samething. It's not the shocks it's your suspension. Whats your link set up #s? You might have too much anti sqat. It's going to really show up with air shocks.

that's what I'm trying to figure out - is it a shock problem or suspension problem

Here's the video on flat ground
During all of this I am making it do it by holding the front brakes in 2wd rear

what makes me think it's not a suspension problem is the fact that it goes to a side and not just jacks the rear
It does not do it in reverse. It's harder to get it to do it in 4wd.

When the torque isn't creating forward movement it creates lean first

Increasing oil level will help in the shocks, but alot of it is a suspension geometry we have fought with it on lots and lots of air shocked vehicles when customers converts from relatively stiff coils to Air shocks specifically. Anti squat as stated has a tremendous effect on it. Panhard bars will also cause different reactions according to direction of travel.

By there nature Air shocks provide very little resistance to unloading especially in a slow situation. Of course this is magnified when you are in 2wd because the chassis is only seeing torque input from a specific place. So your only bet is to either increase spring rate on the opposite side (ie increasing rate in the shocks)put a swaybar on thumb.gif, or just deal with it.
I can help you with rate if you need it

I do not know factory volumes of King shocks, and if it makes you feel better Fox is about as helpful we have had to figure most of this stuff out on our own several years ago.

definitely would like some help - please call me 314-402-7342

I'm told that there's 340cc's in the shocks
thinking about removing oil, and adding nitrogen

I don't think this is a suspension problem though, we just did some figurin at work and the rear axle is powered by the front part of the transfer case so.....

With the t-case offset in the chassis and the rear end offset resisting the torque of the rear driveshafts is the transfer case gears and they are climbing each other and raising the driver side of the buggy - we think. so it's a drivetrain problem but hopefully it can be masked with spring rate?