• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SX stickies

Yes, definitely ate crow on that one. However, it was the worst tasting decision I've ever made in this hobby. If there was a cheaper alternative I would have gone with it.

patooyee said:
I have, back when they were much cheaper. I know how big of a difference it makes. What you (and many) seem to have lost track of is that this is a hobby, or at most an extreme sport that will never pay a fraction of what you put into it. Even the extreme winners are just the smallest losers when it comes financial gain here.

Your description makes me wonder if you have run them? Because I would in no way equate them to one vs two lockers.

Lol I would say the difference is pretty damn similar to that of having both ends locked instead of just one.

My work computer is gay now and fawks up Youtube, maybe these links work. This is the best comparison to date that I have seen of a standard tsl and a sticky. Even though the bfg is the stickiest of the stickies, sticky 43" tsl's are stil substantially better than standard compound swampers. Enough of a difference where I think the 1 vs. 2 lockers is very much a feasible comparison.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kUZaOSONv2k&itct=CBUQpDAYBSITCPS6yI2_q8MCFUMIHAody1YAqTIGcmVsbWZ1SP3Tl9fDttaFwgE%3D&hl=en&gl=US&client=mv-google

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wgtZtDrl6f0&itct=CAUQpDAYEiITCOjr14a_q8MCFdVAHAodTXgAb1IIaGFsZSBtdG4%3D&gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google

Maybe I'll change my mind as I play with these some more. But so far I still think that's a pretty absurd comparison. Sorry.

Lol when an old beater Toyota goes up something and barely spins a tire that $30k-ish buggy couldn't even get to the top of, I'd say it's pretty substantial :****:

TacomaJD said:
Lol when an old beater Toyota goes up something and barely spins a tire that $30k-ish buggy couldn't even get to the top of, I'd say it's pretty substantial :****:

I've seen that happen tons of times, sticky or not. You haven't? How about that basically stock Sami at the Back Door challenge last year? My brother used to have a Toyota with 39 Iroks that could make the most expensive rigs look stupid. I bet there's plenty of stuff that $30k buggy could make you look stupid on too. Like anything steep and slick. Different setups work different ways. You've been in the game long enough to know that. If they didn't we would all just build the same cookie cutter rig and get up everything the same way.

I'm not saying stickys aren't the shiznit. I would rather have a front locker than sickies if I could only have one.

I've been riding the past month or so with a Jeep that has only one locker. It couldn't mount even its front tires on the top of that first ledge in your videos with it wet like that.

We have our opinions lol. Over the years I've been a member here, mine and yours are only similar about 50% of the time. Glad you got stickies and I believe you'll be happier with them than any other tire you've ran before. Post up some beatdown vids now dammit. :dblthumb:

At this point all they have to do to make me happy is not tear a sidewall every trip out. Going by that standard I am already 100% happier. :) (Still can't believe I spent that much money on tires though!)

Performance-wise I would have been perfectly happy continuing on with my $400/tire blem 44 boggers. There was some stuff I struggled on that sticky tires didn't. But I didn't care. To me that was / is just a purchased obstacle and I was happier with money in the bank. But going through 44's as much as I was it wouldn't have taken many $400 replacement boggers to have bought a set of SX's. At least that's the logic I was using to justify the purchase. :)

When's the next trip to a big park? I am close to full time riding again and ready to see some stickys in action on a 321

Planning on Grayrock last weekend of March. That's the only think int he books as of now. You might be disappointed though. I've promised myself that I'm going to be an old man now with my stickies.

I should be there. Mind you....technical crawling/making things look easy is my favorite style of wheeling. One of the reasons i like wheeling with JohnG.

The only thing i like more than making things look easy, is doing it cheaper than the other guy.

patooyee said:
Maybe I'll change my mind as I play with these some more. But so far I still think that's a pretty absurd comparison. Sorry.
Here's a better comparison. Very similar buggies, same hill, same day (one after the other). Burkey was running 44" TSLs. Posey was running 43 SX stickies. Night and day would be an appropriate description.

RIOT BUGGY BEATDOWN

BLACK BETTY ROCK BOUNCER BUGGY

Again, was never trying to say there is no difference, or even that the difference is minimal. I admit and agree that there is a huge difference, always have. I have ran red labels in the past, I know from experience. But your original argument was that it is the same difference as being locked front and rear vs. not in one or the other. And you can not say to me that you believe that you could have taken the locker out of the front of Black Betty and it would have gone as far or further than Riot did on that hill. There's just no way. If that's what you're truly saying then we are as far apart as night and day on this topic. I've seen rigs almost make obstacles and then break a shaft and try it in 3wd. A lot of the time they can't even make the approach to the obstacle any more. They are as useless as a screen door on a submarine. By comparison you are saying that any rig without stickies is also as useless.

Re:

Jeezus, I had a long message typed and ****ing piece of **** ass Tapatalk glitched and lost it.

Long story short, my thoughts are identical to the first guy that replied to your comment about purchasing an obstacle by buying stickies in the pirate thread. I don't see how that can make sense to anyone beside someone who just wants to be a sticky hater. I mean I get the whole idea, but stickies are the next level in tires just as tsl's, coilovers, and even linked suspension in general was, when they began flowing through the offroad world.

You have a very unique and complex way of thinking, I'll give you that lol.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
Jeezus, I had a long message typed and ****ing piece of **** ass Tapatalk glitched and lost it.

Long story short, my thoughts are identical to the first guy that replied to your comment about purchasing an obstacle by buying stickies in the pirate thread. I don't see how that can make sense to anyone beside someone who just wants to be a sticky hater. I mean I get the whole idea, but stickies are the next level in tires just as tsl's, coilovers, and even linked suspension in general was, when they began flowing through the offroad world.

You have a very unique and complex way of thinking, I'll give you that lol.

You didn't answer my question. Do you really think Black Betty would have got as far as Riot did with one axle open? Because that was your original argument ...

By your own admission you are saying that stickies were why Black Betty made that hill and Riot didn't. (Or why you made that other obstacle and the $30,000 buggy didn't.) So the difference on that hill was one guy spent more on tires. How is that hill not purchased at that point? To me that is a great example supporting my argument, not refuting it. How can you call me a sticky hater? I've owned them in the past, agree that they rock, just bought me a new set of 5!

More goes into c/o's and links than just, if you buy it, you will make it. You can put together a link suspension that is a total fail and functions worse than leafs. Many have. You can throw c/o's on a rig, get spring rates totally wrong, never change a shim. Many have. There are positive results that stem from learning about those things and applying the knowledge, its more than just applying dollars. People innovate, try new things, experiment, come up with their own theories that play out positively or negatively. For the most part stickies are stickies and nons are nons. You either purchased stickies or you didn't. Nothing anyone has done to them to date, cut them, change air pressures, whatever, has the noticeable and drastic increase of performance as simply switching to them in the first place did. Maybe those first few guys that spent thousands on BFG reds when they were first available were innovators. They were putting their money, if not directly through the purchase, then indirectly through risk, in jeopardy by trying something no one had done. The tires wore out quickly, broke more parts, etc. But at this point everyone knows what they do, its not like anyone is is going out on a limb. Its just spend the money or don't. Its that simple. This doesn't seem complex at all to me.

Latest posts