• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SX stickies

patooyee

I'm breaking down, going to get me some SX's, hopefully take out a few less tires per year. I'm debating on whether to get stickies or not. As a recreational wheeler I do not feel the need to "make it or break it." If I can't get up something I'm happy backing off and hitting the next rock. The difference between the sticky and regular compound for 5 tires is about $750. Do the stickies break down / chunk out a lot worse than the regular compound? I'm looking for a tire to last moreso than a tire to get me up the most insane stuff. That being said, I don't ride as much as I would like anymore due to job / family and a set of stickies that would last a racer a year might last me 5. Are stickies worth the extra in my case or would I be disappointed in their durability?

I've had both, the stickies hook much much better, night and day to me. Do they wear more yes. I'll never buy a regular compound tire again and like yourself I'm a regular wheeler. Just my 02c thumb.gif

I just remember back when I had a set of BFG reds how every trip out I felt like I was down a significant amount of tire by the end.

I wasn't easy on my stickies after a year and a half they were still atleast 3/4 tread they do round off but all tires do that. I think it is worth the extra money honestly!

Im just keyboard wheeling over here, but I've been told regular compound SX's suck and if not getting stickies, just go with TSL's. As in Sticky SX>TSL>SX

I'm recreational and dont go out as much as I'd like just as you said. I just got reds and wheeled twice with them so I cant speak for longevity. I will say I'll never buy regular tires again. The difference is incredible. Also like you I'm not a make it or break it. With reds though I've made a few things at our local place with ease where as before I'd beat it pretty hard to get up and even then not always make it.

My vote is pay the extra....you will be happy.

Re:

OK I maybe a dumbass, well most likely but I thought you said SXs in the first post, and I thought "reds" were BFGs?

Haha, sorry, guess I meant stickies. When I get into the $700/tire range my brain starts to melt down in anxiety. :)

I'm happy with my regular ol SX's. Money saved bought me knuckles and hi steer. ;)

However. ..my goals may be different than yours. I jus want to drive on the trailer at end of day and never hafta work on it.

I think i have 20+ rides on mine. Look brand new minus where the inner lugs rubbing on link bars/shocks.

patooyee said:
I just remember back when I had a set of BFG reds how every trip out I felt like I was down a significant amount of tire by the end.

From burning them off? Reds don't need to be burned off to grip. Back up and bump it :****:

tonybolton said:
However. ..my goals may be different than yours. I jus want to drive on the trailer at end of day and never hafta work on it.

Our goals sound similar. But my drive train is basically invincible and I beat on it pretty hard between trailer rides. Tires have definitely become my weak link. I carry three 44" spares with me now. I've vulcanized 4 this year. Changing tires is fairly easy due to the H1 rims but I am getting tired of it. Like you said, my goal is not to have to work on it and right now the tires are what I am working on instead of riding.

patooyee said:
No, just the edges chunking off.

Ah, gotcha. Too much wheelspeed! :flipoff1:

Been wheelin' mine over 2 years now and they still look 80% or better. And they had been wheeled a little on the truck before I bought it! They don't get spun much either though.

Yes they are worth it. Like you, dont ride that much a year but they work great, seem to last for me (5,000lbs rig and a BBC)..you wont regret it

I recently sold a set of krawlers that had 5 years of wheeling on them. 12+ trips a year, some ecors racing, etc. They still had just under 1/2 tread, the shoulders were rounded/ worn off. I was ready for some more tread depth for the wheeling around here. Obviously I wanted a tire that would last me at least that long again. I looked pretty hard the sticky SX but after seeing the wear that guys that I ride with have on their sticky SX's, I'm not sure they will last that long. Just my .02

The shoot to thrill WOD buggy has non sticky SX's on it and I see Cody keep just fine with everybody else.

ibrokeit said:
Im just keyboard wheeling over here, but I've been told regular compound SX's suck and if not getting stickies, just go with TSL's. As in Sticky SX>TSL>SX
Have to disagree with this somewhat...No doubt the stickies are the ****, but I'd rather have the non-stickey SX over the standard TSL. Running 43" SXs on my buggy and I really like them for the way I ride (they have been cut though). When it's time for a new set I'll probably try to step up to the stickies or combo of stickies and tractor tires. drool :driving:

tonybolton said:
I'm happy with my regular ol SX's. Money saved bought me knuckles and hi steer. ;)

I think i have 20+ rides on mine. Look brand new minus where the inner lugs rubbing on link bars/shocks.

It is possible to break less parts with stickies, from less spinning then grabbing