• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Take 92" - YJ Link kit from Motobilt with Nines

with 2 sick kids and the sewer system breaking it was a long weekend and so not much garage time

but I did a little

img_4997.jpg

img_5002.jpg

img_5003.jpg

Well I got all 4 tires mounted with inner locks installed ready to use, set rear axle in place and got rear lower links made and set, took all measurements for upper links with the hope to make them in the next day or so then I can start mocking up air shocks..

img_5040.jpg

img_5042.jpg

All links are made and welded.. just need to finish painting them all and then they can go in for good.

which means final assembly on axles and then start air shock mounting

img_5045.jpg

finally got rear axle together.. finish bracing tonight and it will be ready to go back in

img_5059.jpg

and since so many people said I should add a center mount for crossmember I did that also

img_5057.jpg

But best part was having wrench time with my son assembling axles
img_5051.jpg

img_5053.jpg

img_5054.jpg

Working late tonight so no little helper :)

but I did get all the welding done on the axles and they are ready to go in.. hopefully this weekend I will have axles under jeep with links and tires so i can start testing for air shocks

img_5072.jpg

img_5074.jpg

not terrible for a weekend welder
img_5076.jpg

img_5077.jpg

img_5079.jpg

pretty good weekend.. had my helper again and we got a lot done..

my helper
img_5080.jpg

img_5081.jpg

add some beefy protection to the rear 3rd
img_5082.jpg

img_5083.jpg

got the rear links in and axle all lined up
img_5086.jpg

img_5088.jpg

Then I mocked up rear air shock mount

img_5091.jpg

Testing shock location
img_5092.jpg

full stretch
img_5095.jpg

img_5096.jpg

also did a little paint on calipers and brakes
img_5099.jpg

Well after being away form home for a week of work.. good to spend a little time in the garage

front links in
img_5122.jpg

more of rear
img_5123.jpg

front ride height
img_5124.jpg

rear at ride height looking from concrete up
img_5125.jpg

front at ride height looking from concrete up
img_5126.jpg

Front of axle.
img_5128.jpg

So I have run into a few issues.. since I built a passenger side drop axle and then put in a high 9 center I cant clear the starter very well.. so I had to put the upper links where they are due to me not being able to move the passenger side in any more which now means I dont have 40 degree seperation so I now need to add a trac bar and since I am going that route I think I will now just make normal steering with assist instead of full hydro.. and the other issue is due to starter location I can run a straight driveshaft so I will be making a two piece shaft for the front..

all in all I am very happy and hope to start on the front shock mounts tomorrow and maybe get all the shocks in tomorrow

Rear axle is in for good, just need to run brake lines and limiting straps

My helper was back out again today
img_5134.jpg

img_5136.jpg

here is the rear at full extension
img_5138.jpg

img_5139.jpg

img_5140.jpg

img_5141.jpg

at full bump
img_5142.jpg

did one more test on rear to make sure everything clears and flexes well

back
img_5148.jpg

side
img_5151.jpg

tire clears shock at full compression
img_5153.jpg

other side
img_5155.jpg

img_5157.jpg

then I started to clean up front frame and get ready to make shock hoops
img_5160.jpg

img_5159.jpg

img_5161.jpg

well only got a short time in garage tonight so I bent up the front shock hoops and made the mounting tabs.. need to make axle side tabs and front shocks can go in.

and that is one sharp bit, thanks to my Drill Doctor .. for all the people that say they hate them, mine works great and is a life saver
img_5171.jpg

drivers side
img_5177.jpg

passenger side
img_5178.jpg

img_5179.jpg

slowly working on it

mounted front shocks tonight.. tried to charge them but I could not get them correct so I will mess with them in a day or two when I get a chance to go back in garage

img_5185.jpg

img_5187.jpg

img_5188.jpg

img_5189.jpg

well another hour in the shop :)

stretching her legs
img_5192.jpg

img_5193.jpg

img_5194.jpg

the a few measurements and cuts and here is how the fuel cell will sit..I am making a skid plate and mounts for it to be nice and secure and also making a top so no fuel smells get into cab area, then I will make storage tie downs for the top and I may just mount some ammo cans

img_5196.jpg

showing it flat with bottom of frame
img_5197.jpg

looking up from bottom
img_5199.jpg

tall ammo can.. I have shorter ones also
img_5203.jpg

trying to get the fuel cell in and all connected

used my old XJ skid and cut it down to make it work for what I was going for.
img_5280.jpg

img_5281.jpg

img_5282.jpg

I was going for a flat bottom skid that is level with the rear crossmember
img_5283.jpg

img_5284.jpg

Set the fuel cell in to check and make sure all is good
img_5286.jpg

img_5289.jpg

and the last thing was to set the PSC steering ram in place and start to mess with the location
img_5285.jpg

spent about 1hr in garage messing with fuel system.. I got the main line and return line done, just need to wire up fuel pump and finish breather line

img_5301.jpg

img_5302.jpg

the fuel cell is in and bolted down and all lines connected and power has been run except the sending unit on fuel cell.. I need to now pull off hold down straps and paint them and reinstall them

img_5389.jpg

started working on ARTEC hydro steering mount.. I bought the universal DIY one and cut it to fit around housing
img_5390.jpg

img_5391.jpg

img_5392.jpg

well this is how life goes.. I get a little time in garage and BAM I am out of welding gas :( and of course I am low on wire..

all dressed up and no gas to use..
img_5397.jpg

I did some of the bracing either tacked or half welded in before running out of gas
img_5399.jpg

ram mounts
img_5400.jpg

decent heat on welds
img_5402.jpg

it's good to have freinds in the same hobby.. I borrowed my buddy JOhns welding tank and finished the front ram mount and all bracing.

img_5409.jpg

img_5410.jpg

img_5411.jpg

with ram installed
img_5414.jpg

well only thing left to do is add trac bar and the front is finally done

the rear fuel cell is all wired, and all lines connected so I put 5 gallons in fuel cell and hooked up battery to test it and BAM nothing.. no power to anythign in jeep so now I need to check all the fuses etc. :(

img_5420.jpg

img_5421.jpg

img_5422.jpg