• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tell me about Harlan

So, figured I'd just add on to this thread...
We ran Harlan last June. We're coming back in April with an even bigger group.

Last time we were there, some trails seemed grown in. Like they hadn't been run in a long time. Two that come to mind are "Underestimated" and the top of "Crawford's Cry". What's the deal here? We didn't venture up since we were new to the mountain, but it looked gnarly. Anybody run these trails anymore?

SB406 said:
So, figured I'd just add on to this thread...
We ran Harlan last June. We're coming back in April with an even bigger group.

Last time we were there, some trails seemed grown in. Like they hadn't been run in a long time. Two that come to mind are "Underestimated" and the top of "Crawford's Cry". What's the deal here? We didn't venture up since we were new to the mountain, but it looked gnarly. Anybody run these trails anymore?

Crawfords cry - I'm not sure which section you are talking about. Ever since I've been going the top section has been rutted out and from what I was told is impassable b/c part of the trail washed out? I've always run the section up to that point and made the right turn and came back down.

Underestimated - haven't seen it in a while but one of the only times I ran it a few years ago, I had to winch out the top b/c the ruts were so deep my axles were dragging.

wizzo said:
Crawfords cry - I'm not sure which section you are talking about. Ever since I've been going the top section has been rutted out and from what I was told is impassable b/c part of the trail washed out? I've always run the section up to that point and made the right turn and came back down.

Underestimated - haven't seen it in a while but one of the only times I ran it a few years ago, I had to winch out the top b/c the ruts were so deep my axles were dragging.

Pretty much. Last time I recall running Crawford's in it's entirety was back in 2010-2011. It was just a fairly steep climb out to the trail above. Was a pretty long climb. Nothing crazy though.

wizzo said:

Yeah top is impassable and Crawfords cry be a awesome bouncer time trial hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. Thanks for the info. We ran up to the point where you can turn right & come back down. Beyond that there were branches down and no sign of anybody bring up there in a while.

matth_85 said:
Pretty much. Last time I recall running Crawford's in it's entirety was back in 2010-2011. It was just a fairly steep climb out to the trail above. Was a pretty long climb. Nothing crazy though.

Zjman said:
Yeah top is impassable

Has anyone actually ventured up there at all in the past few years? I was told that a section of the trail washed out/ off the side of the mountain. Just wondering if anyone has pics or actually seen the "impassable" part of the trail.

Its been forever since I've been there, but want Crawford's cry a big steep climb with a ledge aboit 3/4 of the way up?

wizzo said:
Has anyone actually ventured up there at all in the past few years? I was told that a section of the trail washed out/ off the side of the mountain. Just wondering if anyone has pics or actually seen the "impassable" part of the trail.

A couple guys I wheel with mentioned running it last year. Said that it was just super grown up past the last ledge where you go right or left. I think they just backed on out. I'll have to ask them.

mckeddie said:
Its been forever since I've been there, but want Crawford's cry a big steep climb with a ledge aboit 3/4 of the way up?

Fairly steep. Just past Your Turn. There is a nasty ledge at the end of the rock section.

matth_85 said:
A couple guys I wheel with mentioned running it last year. Said that it was just super grown up past the last ledge where you go right or left. I think they just backed on out. I'll have to ask them.

Please do. I've been interested in venturing up there but didn't want to get into a bad situation.

wizzo said:
Please do. I've been interested in venturing up there but didn't want to get into a bad situation.

He said there was no trail left. Trees down, etc. Said it may have been washed out also, didn't remember that part.

Impromptu bounty hill! I've always been curious. I don't think it can exactly "wash off the side of the mountain" as if you keep going up, you would come out at the upper playground. Which would be an awesome trail to run, from the bottom of your turn all the way up.

Re:

So .... Chainsaw, shovel, pick and bring a set of balls to the October run? Do we need to sell tickets to the I used to Ride the Hardline, now I wear a diaper ride? Seriously though.......trees down, washed out, needs some weed be gone......Can someone take a picture of the trail, post up what needs to be done and give me some direction as to how to fix it? I may not have the driving ability of some, not the ability to drop trees on a dime, but I do have time and a want to make **** better. Hell, I was number three donor on Pamela Anderson's vaginal rejuvenation/get rid of Hep C fund.

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

I don't have a pic. But last time I was there, there were two or three trees down right at the entrance. But I will throw in a $20 bill for the man that makes it the furthest.......... Or the top

I rode Crawford's Cry in late December and we talked about continuing up past the "exit".
There are 2-3 trees down and the trail is badly eroded away. Nothing that a workday and then some tire spin wouldn't help to clear.

It'll take some big tires and big power to get much further than the current exit (which is pretty bad again). Out of our crew of 37 Iroks, 40 Treps, 42 Treps, 43 SX and 44 TSL, all on built biggies, all but 1 had to winch out of the existing exit.

Schedule a work day folks. Badass trail minus a couple trees, plus some dirt moving equals trail back open.