• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tennessee, Alabama Florida handgun laws

Handgunlaw.us This site is I more for conceal carry but has a ton of information. Just click on the state you are wanting to go and research the laws for that state. This is where I go when we are traveling. I I like the fact that it tell you if you have to notify the officer upon contact with them and if that state honors my conceal permit.

Here is the information you need for Florida. You DO NOT need a CCW in order to carry a handgun inside your vehicle. You can carry a loaded handgun inside the glove box, center console. You can have a loaded handgun inside a holster (with the snap secured or some other form of retention) under your seat or inside a seat back pocket. This is all legal. Here is what will get you in hot water.... loaded handgun on the seat covered by a newspaper,towel, sweaty t-shirt. Loaded handgun in a holster WITHOUT the snap secured underneath your seat. Loaded handgun wedged in between the seat and center console, tucked underneath your thigh. You are also allowed to have a loaded handgun inside your hotel room as this is covered under "castle doctrine". And yes, I am current on this information...I am an LEO (K9 Handler) and I also teach firearms and CCW classes on the weekends. Any questions or concerns, shoot me you number via PM and I will call you and try to get your questions sorted out/

Glad we got an LEO on here to help answer some questions because I got one that I don't understand. Why are you required to tell the cop youre carrying for a routine traffic stop where they won't be searching your car? Seems like it would just elevate the situation to a place it doesn't need to be. I would think if I was a cop ( and I'm saying this respectfully and just trying to get your side of the story ) that situational awareness would always have me assessing the situation and I wouldn't always assume that nobody has a gun just because it doesn't come up with their license plate or they don't tell me. The whole argument against more gun laws is that criminals don't follow laws anyways so if they intend to harm you during a stop that they're not gonna let you know their intentions. If for whatever reason I did something where the cop decided he had probable cause to search myself and my vehicle then by all means I would let them know where my firearm is because that's just basic gun safety but when I'm near a cop walking around I would never go up to them and tell them I was carrying because it would just be awkward so why do it in a car?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

In Alabama running your tag is not going to tell an officer that you have a pistol permit or anything gun related. As for declaring a pistol, any officer who doesnt assume every person he comes into contact with is armed is setting himself up for a disaster. The reason you declare a pistol is to prevent a misunderstanding when you reach in the general vicinity of the gun and the fact that you're reaching toward a gun catches the officer's attention. If your gun is in a location where it can't bee seen and you won't have to reach into its area during the course of a traffic stop then it doesnt really matter. However like has been mentioned in this thread theres no point in carrying a gun that doesnt have one in the chamber and isnt easily accesible. Personally I think the glove box is too far away anyway.

Ohio ties your permit to your plates and they say they won't pull you over for carrying but I've been pulled over in a black Tracker because he said was registered as a white minivan although my paperwork didn't show that and it didn't come up at the BMV when I went to clear it all up the following day. When he came up the car I had my hands on the steering wheel and he asked for my license, permit and where the gun was and once he got all that he told me I was free to go. I asked him what I did to get pulled over and he told me it was registered as a white minivan and that I need to get it fixed but he never asked for my registration or proof of insurance which is typical in any other traffic stop.

Not questionning your experience at all, but it seems odd to pull someone over because their tag says they have a pistol permit then ask them to prove they have a pistol permit. Its definately not odd for tag information to be incorrectly entered into the database by the clerk's office, of course its even more likely the officer mis entered the tag info when he was running it prior to the stop.

d_daffron said:
Not questionning your experience at all, but it seems odd to pull someone over because their tag says they have a pistol permit then ask them to prove they have a pistol permit. Its definately not odd for tag information to be incorrectly entered into the database by the clerk's office, of course its even more likely the officer mis entered the tag info when he was running it prior to the stop.

Or for cops to read numbers wrong.

I got cuffed and laid on the hood of my truck as a teenager because the cop was reading my tag number wrong. Called it in twice, read the tag number wrong both times, then tried to tell me that my VIN didn't match my registration. ::)

I'm pretty convinced he was drunk and looking for out of town teenagers to hassle though.

I wish I could explain it better but it was the way he handled the situation that seemed really shady to me and I'm not trying to make an assumption that all cops are that way but I just don't see the purpose of tying the two together and think that it raises more problems than it solves.

In Tennessee we aren't required to tell the officer we have a gun in the car but when I've been pulled over I give them my license and permit. One time I was asked where it was and I told him between the seat and center console and he said leave it there and smiled, other time he said thanks and handed the permit back and that was it. I figure if I tell them up front I have it then if he sees it out of the corner of his eye he won't be alarmed because he already knows it's there.

Re: Re: Tennessee, Alabama Florida handgun laws

TBItoy said:
Or for cops to read numbers wrong.

I got cuffed and laid on the hood of my truck as a teenager because the cop was reading my tag number wrong. Called it in twice, read the tag number wrong both times, then tried to tell me that my VIN didn't match my registration. ::)

I'm pretty convinced he was drunk and looking for out of town teenagers to hassle though.
I got pulled over when I was like 18 or 19 in a fairly nice 97 F150 Lariat ext cab because they said my vehicle matched the description of a vehicle used in a coke machine robbery. I said man, I just left work, I have no need to be robbing any damn coke machines. I had a whole bunch of camoflauge coveralls and **** in the back seat from where we were riding fourwheelers every weekend, no guns in the truck or anything but that looked suspicious so they searched my whole truck. Pulled everything out of it. I was too young to realize just how fawked up that whole scenario was. It wouldn't happen the same way today...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

onepieceatatime said:
Glad we got an LEO on here to help answer some questions because I got one that I don't understand. Why are you required to tell the cop youre carrying for a routine traffic stop where they won't be searching your car? Seems like it would just elevate the situation to a place it doesn't need to be. I would think if I was a cop ( and I'm saying this respectfully and just trying to get your side of the story ) that situational awareness would always have me assessing the situation and I wouldn't always assume that nobody has a gun just because it doesn't come up with their license plate or they don't tell me. The whole argument against more gun laws is that criminals don't follow laws anyways so if they intend to harm you during a stop that they're not gonna let you know their intentions. If for whatever reason I did something where the cop decided he had probable cause to search myself and my vehicle then by all means I would let them know where my firearm is because that's just basic gun safety but when I'm near a cop walking around I would never go up to them and tell them I was carrying because it would just be awkward so why do it in a car?

The main reason for telling LEO you have a CCW and the location of the gun inside your vehicle is more of a common courtesy than anything else and as others have stated, if the gun is seen and already been announced the stress factor doesn't start climbing.