• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

That was an odd one.

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So the wifes 01' VW Cabrio has had this very odd vibration and had progressively gotten worse as time went on.

It would start at 32mph and quit at 40mph but you could ever so slightly feel it at other speeds(you had to pay attention to feel it). Here was the odd part about it though if you would coast between 32mph and 40mph it was extremely light but would worsen with torque and was the whole front not any single side. There were no other noises at all associated with the car in the front.

I did the common and swapped wheels front/rear for giggles and as I thought it was still there. I checked the run out on the hubs and nothing. I checked the front for any sign of anything bent. The only thing I noticed was some slop in both tripods and the cv's had a little play in them.

Now every time I have had a front axle issue with a CV you would get the clatter noise on hard turns but that was not the case here.

So tonight I swapped both front axles out and the damn thing drives like butter now(has never driven this smooth). I guess under torque the tripods being sloppy would cause the front axles to become out of balance causing the vibration.

I thought it was odd I never got a noise on hard turns.

More than likely the inner CV's were sloppy (I presume this is what you mean by tripods???), pretty common...won't click like the outer does when it goes bad...:awesomework:

More than likely the inner CV's were sloppy (I presume this is what you mean by tripods???), pretty common...won't click like the outer does when it goes bad...:awesomework:

I suspect the vibration/ballance issue was from the tri-pod but the cv was still sloppy as well...

We've been having problems lately with after market CV shafts. We just made it policy if it's not a OEM shaft were are not replacing it. I've had an Accord and CRV both come back with NAPA shafts because we couldn't get the OEM shafts quickly. But both cars came back with axle vibrations. No clacking noise from the shafts either.

Which is weird because I never had a problem with aftermarket shafts until working at a dealership.

yep, same issue Jess's jetta had last summer. started shakeing so bad it wiped out a trans mount, and lower control arm busshings.