• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Dirt Squirrel v. 2.0 -- Even Dirtier

Punkin85 said:
What did you use for rock lights? Mine are getting replaced while re-doing everything else but can't decide what to use...... on a side note, went to Gilmer for my first ride ever and with the rain it got supper slick. Rain + my inexperience = Me rolling down Dewoody! It was my first roll over and I want to go back for some redemption.

I used these from all4offroad. The toyota ones. They are real bright. Only have 4 of them under the truck. Going to order two more to use further rear.
http://all4offroad.com/rock-lights.html

I walked up the center of dewoody last year there. This year required more effort. The tree saved me from rolling over a few years ago.

Punkin85 said:
Did you add anything to mount them or just use the 3M adhesive they came with?

I didnt trust the 3m adhesive so i zip tied them to the tube work underneath. Only issue i have with them is the super thing gauge wire they come with. I stripped a 2" section and doubled it up a few times for it to fit in the smallest wire connectors.

the_white_shadow said:
I didnt trust the 3m adhesive so i ziptied them to the tube work underneath. Only issue i have with them is the super thing gauge wire they come with. I stripped a 2" section and doubled it up a few times for it to fit in the smallest wire connectors.

When i put LEDs all under the Gremlin, I ran 22 gauge speaker wire and ended up solder/heat shrink all the connections.

I put a small distribution block on the frame and ran a switched 16 gauge wire to it because I didnt want to deal with connectors on the wire that small.

Rig is badass. :dblthumb:

I did use heat shrink connectors on every connection so they "should" hold up. Your idea with the distribution block sounds like a cool idea.

Thanks Nick.

Went to the best rock crawling park TX (Katemcy Rocks) has to offer and had a blast. The truck did great and went everywhere i pointed it. I love the uptravel i have in comparison to the last rig. night and day difference in how it handles the technical rocks. Put a decent dent in the drivers door and caved in the upper portion of the cab on the passenger side on a trail called Squeezed (should have known it was going to get me). Other than that, no carnage from our group.

Some pics. Didnt take that many.
Swung by Stinkbeans house and picked up his son's crawler. Little guy is a very skilled wheeler already at age 4. His buggy fit perfectly across the front.

Brian's 4Runner

Unicorned

Didnt even unload it from the trailer as im headed to Hot Springs, AR for some Superlift ORV fun in the rain at the Razorback Ramble. Going to be fun.

Trip Report: Razorback Ramble at Superlift ORV in Hot Springs, AR.

2nd time in a row to make this event. Love it. Met up with a few local guys and wheeled all day friday and saturday before the axle shaft took me out in the afternoon. The park was awesome again and if it wasnt for it being 7.5hrs from my house, I would go more than once a year. Hoping to make it back to the Southern Cruiser Crawl in Oct(?) later this year.

So I rolled the truck on Ingrid's Revenge. I landed pretty hard on my passenger side bending the spindle and later breaking the shaft. The worst part is is that i actually made it up the climb, just had to reposition myself for the 2nd obstacle and ended up sliding back to the bottom. The roll was on my 2nd attempt. Its a tough climb when wet.

Some more pics.

Some pics of the stanced look once i got it back home.

Flexed out. I broke the axle shaft shortly after on this spot.

Carnage list was pretty good on this trip:
Bent 14B spindle
Broken pass. Side axle shaft
both c-pillars are going to get cut out and replaced
fender and bedside are toast. I think i can save the doors.
Cab seems to be shifted over a little or maybe its just bent from the roll.

Sucks that it happened but im glad neither my dad or I were hurt and the truck still worked just fine after the roll. I am a first gen body part hoarder, so it will ge getting new panels put on soon. Its part of the game. Cant wait for the next trip, whenever that may be.

I plan on fully enclosing where the center console is with some removable panels and applying some knock-off Dynamat to the backside to hopefully keep the interior temps down some. Its like a ****ing hot box in the cab. I probably remove the rear glass as well to try and let some of it out.

nhl_bullitt said:
Nice update on the action. You definitely beat it up. I've never been to Hot Springs. 6.5 hours away, I'd like to make it sometime.

I tend to be hard on things. This roll just got away from me so fast. Hot Springs is so much fun. Trails have it all and if its even remotely wet, are very difficult. Facilities are great.

Put some time in yesterday to tear into it. Removed most of the damaged sheetmetal and got the shaft out.

looks even worse when you jack it up off the ground.

Shaft broke within the spindle. Ill take the broken piece out today. It exploded in there.

Havent started any of the repairs yet. Still looking for a new van rear axle, but did pick up a new camper to put on my gooseneck. **** tent camping.

Again, when are we gonna go wheel? Bounty, Lower and mid slims are calling to be run before it gets southern hot outside.

You girls in for that in a couple weeks?

Ha. The cleaned up axle is for a bud's 1-ton swap on his '11 tacoma. The nasty dirty one i picked up yesterday to replace my bent one. Bent one may or may not be getting some 4ws treatment on the side. >:D