• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Gee-Tar thread

Stretch said:
If you can rip Cliffs of Dover, kudos to you sir. That one kicked my ass back in the day. Now, 15 years later I can barely link chords together. Quit playing in high school and kind of regret it.
That's the only one I know. And by know I mean I can get by.

Thanks man, I wish I could still play out in a band but no time. I love it but it's like having a second job.

Re: Re: The Gee-Tar thread

Beerj said:
Sacrament, though ashes is a very close second.
Check out Lambchopper678 on Youtube, look through his vids. He has awesome covers of just about every good song from Lamb of God, Pantera, In Flames, Black Label Society, etc. Can help when learning. Vid below.

I have trouble nailing consecutive triplets like in this song

http://youtu.be/ko-rRWqc2lY

Music to my ears, literally. Those triplets are tough. Seems like he missed some in some parts but maybe they're not there and I just play them anyway. Can't say I'm too impressed with his WWMIH cover but he nailed the solo so that helps. I'm half tempted to link to one of my tool covers but I'm not the most confident when it comes to "playing" for other people, even if it has been on the interwebs for a few years now.

Beerj said:
Music to my ears, literally. Those triplets are tough. Seems like he missed some in some parts but maybe they're not there and I just play them anyway. Can't say I'm too impressed with his WWMIH cover but he nailed the solo so that helps. I'm half tempted to link to one of my tool covers but I'm not the most confident when it comes to "playing" for other people, even if it has been on the interwebs for a few years now.

I'm terrible, really. I just know enough to pittle around. You link yours and I'll link one of mine to make you feel better lol.

I had you figured to be pretty badass, and I was right. I am but a minute fraction of that skill level. My main problems, I rarely learn a whole song all the way through, only my favorite parts. I also haven't done it enough to be disciplined playing in time. I just fawk around and play fun stuff that sounds cool (to me) for about an hour, then put it down and don't look at it again for another couple months lol. I don't make enough time for it to hone my skills.

This is some amatuer farting around I recorded a couple years ago after just buying the Halberd. Made up riffs, nothing technical, just kinda what I like playing. Played through a small Line X Spider III amp, I have just good enough equipment to fart around with, nothing more.

http://youtu.be/YXCM-fUtM-8

TacomaJD said:
I had you figured to be pretty badass, and I was right. I am but a minute fraction of that skill level. My main problems, I rarely learn a whole song all the way through, only my favorite parts. I also haven't done it enough to be disciplined playing in time. I just fawk around and play fun stuff that sounds cool (to me) for about an hour, then put it down and don't look at it again for another couple months lol. I don't make enough time for it to hone my skills.

This is some amatuer farting around I recorded a couple years ago after just buying the Halberd. Made up riffs, nothing technical, just kinda what I like playing. Played through a small Line 6 Spider III amp, I have just good enough equipment to fart around with, nothing more.

http://youtu.be/YXCM-fUtM-8

Sounds like what I play when I mess around too. thumb.gif Drop D is definitely where it's at.
I spend a LOT of time playing other peoples music. If anything, I'm a good copycat. Lol. Some of it transitions to things I come up with but I guess they call that "inspiration".

Beerj said:
Sounds like what I play when I mess around too. thumb.gif Drop D is definitely where it's at.
I spend a LOT of time playing other peoples music. If anything, I'm a good copycat. Lol. Some of it transitions to things I come up with but I guess they call that "inspiration".

Exactly. That Halberd is/was my first metal guitar. Fixed bridge, active CAP pickups, and DR 10-50 gauge strings I believe. It's fun to play, not the best compared to some out there, but I bought it as a new factory reject for like $350 and couldn't find a flaw on it. I dabble in simpler songs like Chevelle. Closure is a fun song to play. I never play along with the song, because I never can tune to Drop C (I think it is) good enough. Or maybe it's Drop B? I know it's pretty low. Lol need to learn a little more about tuning down to something other than drop D.

TacomaJD said:
Exactly. That Halberd is/was my first metal guitar. Fixed bridge, active CAP pickups, and DR 10-50 gauge strings I believe. It's fun to play, not the best compared to some out there, but I bought it as a new factory reject for like $350 and couldn't find a flaw on it. I dabble in simpler songs like Chevelle. Closure is a fun song to play. I never play along with the song, because I never can tune to Drop C (I think it is) good enough. Or maybe it's Drop B? I know it's pretty low. Lol need to learn a little more about tuning down to something other than drop D.

I am too lazy to look, but almost all early Chevelle is in drop B. All you have to do is drop down all the strings another "step & a Half" or 3 frets, but you will want thicker strings I assure you... I play in B a lot & have an 11-70 GHS custom set on my Hellraiser

Closure is definitely a fun one to play, and yes it's in drop B. I can get away with 10's in B. But even that's a stretch. The tuning changes depending on how hard you pick. If that makes sense. Lol. A buddy of mine plays a 7 string so when we'd jam, I'd just go to drop b. It was interesting coming up with riffs with him. We'd be playing the exact same thing but it looked completely different.

That LTD explorer was my first. Loaded it with active EMG's and rocked out.

Re:

Badass dude! You nail the consistent picking and that's the stuff I can't do. Don't know what it is about me, I just can't be consistently smooth. I think it's because I'm not calm enough when I play, always focusing to hard and basically overplaying. Awesome nailing the pinch harmonics too! Good tone, **** all around great cover man!

Re:

This guy is one of my favorite youtube heros. Wish he would post more vids, hasn't put one up in like 6 yrs.

I love Parkway Drive, Jeff Ling is a way underrated guitarist. Dude writes some badass melodic metal. The whole Horizons album is awesome.

https://youtu.be/5tajPROM8wk

Also check out his cover of Six by All That Remains. Super fast picking speed and accuracy, amazes me. Wish I could play like that! And speaking of good albums, Fall of Ideals by ATR is another one I listen to frequently.

Thanks man. This is one of those songs that I can just lose myself in. A lot of it uses delay where it's just 1 or 2 repeats at damn near full volume so if you miss or mess up, you hear it a couple of times just as loud as the first. I'm surprised the audio was as good as it is. I just recorded it on my phone. I really should use my proper recording equipment.

That dude is pretty awesome. Makes it look effortless and his tone is great.