• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Sticky Tire Thread

jeeptj99 said:
Question for all the guys running reds.
http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=55475.0

Realistically how much life do reds like these have left? I've seen several sets like this but always been a little shy because they look so worn. I didn't want to clog the for sale thread up with questions and didn't want to look like i'm bashing his tires.

10-15 wheeling trips, aka 2-3 years of five rides a year :****:

Re:

Mine have a little more tread than that and I plan on running them for two years or until they all have traction flaps

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

I tend to agree that Red krawlers are the stickiest. I also believe the sidewalls are crap. I've seen, or helped install way to many plugs in those sidewalls to feel like I wanted to drop my money on them.

Outside of that they flat out work. My buddy ran a set that was basically bald, some with the cords exposed, and they still worked great on anything resembling rock.

I'd be down for a set of BFG KRs since those appear to have a much tougher sidewall, but my money has already been spent on 40" Treps and I've got no complaints. They took several rides to brake in (I was pretty disappointed initially). Once the lugs started rounding off they hook great. I run with 10psi and they claw over anything I've wanted so far.

I actually would have bought K spec Nittos, but when I was shopping, Nitto wouldn't sell them (they probably still won't, but I've seen a set or 2 available).

LightBnDr said:
You're in a white Sami still right? Always been on a 39" red until now?

Why water in a brand new 42" trep?

It's something that has always made me over analyze. When I imagine water inside of any object, whatever angle you tilt the object the water inside still stays flat, conforms to the shape of the object. So at a near vertical climb, would the water not be completely away from the contact patch inside. Essentially creating pull from the rear gravitationally?

Sold the Zuk for 17k to a guy from Ohio back in January. It flat worked, but I've always wanted a set of Jesse Haines portals and to try the 42" Treps. Part of the new budget was blown with an overnight custody lawyer, but I'm trying to get all the parts where I can. I lack steering, seats, fuel cell, and brake master cylinder. Started bending tube this morning.

Me and a rear engine moon buggy on treps fought several attempts to climb King Arthur at K2 with no luck. I filled the front tires with water and walked right up it. I was the 5th person to ever make it, and to my knowledge no one has made the climb without water.

https://youtu.be/AyYlEv_QcE8

sleepsontoilet said:
Sold the Zuk for 17k to a guy from Ohio back in January. It flat worked, but I've always wanted a set of Jesse Haines portals and to try the 42" Treps. Part of the new budget was blown with an overnight custody lawyer, but I'm trying to get all the parts where I can. I lack steering, seats, fuel cell, and brake master cylinder. Started bending tube this morning.

Me and a rear engine moon buggy on treps fought several attempts to climb King Arthur at K2 with no luck. I filled the front tires with water and walked right up it. I was the 5th person to ever make it, and to my knowledge no one has made the climb without water.

https://youtu.be/AyYlEv_QcE8
Ok so first I'm bummed to hear anyone having to think about a custody lawyer. I spent about 2 years fighting, though I won it was the worst time of my life.

Second, I'm freakin in on this King Arthur bet. I drink water, that's it. Surely bunny and arty were in that crowd. Anyway I'm in. You just say the day

3rd I'm a bit jealous because it would be boobies to run a set of 53deg portals on 42s. But no way in hell im runnin those treps. Lol

Hit me up man

jeeptj99 said:
Question for all the guys running reds.
http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=55475.0

Realistically how much life do reds like these have left? I've seen several sets like this but always been a little shy because they look so worn. I didn't want to clog the for sale thread up with questions and didn't want to look like i'm bashing his tires.

they look pretty close to when I brought the Toyota home 6 or so years ago

I probably wheeled them 50 or so times before I sold them a year or so ago

BFG has the KRT-B built on the Baja T/A carcass

Mickey Thompson, General, Maxxis, BFG, and I think even Pro Comp all make a sticky 35" short course. I've ran a set of the Maxxis SCS RZR short course stickies, and they hook up real good. They're heavy for a radial at about 75 pounds a piece. I would still run them if they were taller.

Maxxis makes / made a 37 for a 16" wheel sticky in the Creepy flavor. Also a 40" for 17" sticky in Creepy.

Toyo makes a 39" sticky in MT tread. Falken has a 38" sticky in MT pattern. Pro Comp has an affordable sticky 40" tire for a 17" now. Goodyear makes a 40" sticky in Kevlar pattern.

Some of that has already been mentioned. I have a set of KR2s going on my rig next. I've run 35" Maxxis stickies, 37" reds, 37" sticky and non-sticky Treps, and 39" reds. I'm hoping the KR2s perform well, and I'm on the lookout for some KR3s (narrower and taller, more knobby pattern).

Stuntman Autoworks said:
Don they make a sticky mtr kevlar?

Only sticky tire I've run personally has been the 42 Trep and it works great. Even with only a v6 they clean out well and the added ground clearance is a big plus. I went riding recently at a wet slick Windrock park with 3 buggies all v8 and over 110 wb between 3k lb and 4200lb. Mine is v6 105 wb and 3500lb. Two rigs had the 43sx and mine and one other had the 42 Treps. We all went everywhere that the others did some places were easier and some tougher for each tire and wheelbase. The 42 and 43 are both the sam height when eyeballing em sitting side by side on the rigs.

I don't think you can go wrong with either tire for any wheeling situation, other than mud bogging.

There was also a full bodied V8 ranger on 40" nitto trail grappler stickies that went everywhere we went also just required a tug on the winch a couple times.

Just had to mention I needed a tug or two didn't ya? :)

I've run 39 Reds, 37 Treps, 40 Treps and now 40 Nitto stickies.
Out of all 4, the Treps worked best for me. Both rigs that had stickies were trucks in the 4500# range and at 115 WB. I did rip 2 Krawler sidewalls during ECORS days but I have never had an issue with Treps aside from a rare burp in cold weather.
I've seen a good mix of various stickies on various rigs work well in various conditions. It's hard to nail down which is best when all of the big 3 have their advantages.

I am running a set of 37 Treps on an all Toyota buggy that weighs 3220 lbs and WB is 108. As mentioned above they have burped air on me, but i was running them at 4 to 5 psi.

I even pulled one off the bead at the New Years ride at AOP....i have since aired them to 6 psi and that seemed to work so far. I think this tire does not like low air pressures and needs to be a little bit higher (maybe because the tire is more blocky, and straight up and down) just a theory.....once the tread started to round off they did start to get better traction. I do like them and some times i wish i had Reds, however i bought Treps because i did not want issues with sidewalls.

I think they all have there place and none of them would be a bad choice.

It seems that sidewall issues become even more apparent when running reds at single-digit air pressure. A pro for me is that I can run the Reds at 10-12 and have a little more diff clearance versus a lower pressure bias tire and still hookup. I don't run beadlocks with my reds, but the alloys I run have a pretty decent safety bead on the outer bead-seat surface.

ftoy516 said:
I am running a set of 37 Treps on an all Toyota buggy that weighs 3220 lbs and WB is 108. As mentioned above they have burped air on me, but i was running them at 4 to 5 psi.

I even pulled one off the bead at the New Years ride at AOP....i have since aired them to 6 psi and that seemed to work so far. I think this tire does not like low air pressures and needs to be a little bit higher (maybe because the tire is more blocky, and straight up and down) just a theory.....once the tread started to round off they did start to get better traction. I do like them and some times i wish i had Reds, however i bought Treps because i did not want issues with sidewalls.

I think they all have there place and none of them would be a bad choice.

With my 40 & 42in treps I have always ran single digits. Now with my 40s , I purchased wheels and tires seperate and when installing I put 2 layers of duct tape around the bead because the previous owner said the 43s he had on the racelines had burped air a few times. I never had an issue and if I had to guess my Toyota weighs in the 35-3800lb range

My 42s are pretty new (5-6 rides total) and I run them at almost no pressure. (Very stiff)

I had never burped a bead on my 40" Treps until a cold Harlan run last December. It was 12* when we started and never warmed up past 25*.
I was running 6 psi and burped a front tire once and the driver rear twice. It had never happened before in a year and a half of running them.
I attributed it to a mix of cold weather, stiffer than normal sidewall and low pressures.

I run my Nittos around 6-7 psi and havent had an issue yet.

I run 4 psi in my 37 treps on racelines. Haven't had any issues burping but my junk is light.