• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The term "mudding"

Kinda like "braffin". I never heard that before until some younger kids from up north told me about it. "It's taking your rig out and doin mad crazy **** just beating on it" I believe was the description.

Damn Newbies :scratchhead:

The reason for this thread is I have only seen the term used in negative articles in the media...

muddin is newbie term where you take your dads SUV out and do donuts in a field and drive around town the rest of the day to show off the mud.

:cool:

Is that like how crawlin is a term for where you bounce your 4x4 off a few rocks and trees and then drive around town the rest of the day to show of the damage and how hard core you are?

:awesomework:

:D

Is that like how crawlin is a term for where you bounce your 4x4 off a few rocks and trees and then drive around town the rest of the day to show of the damage and how hard core you are?

:awesomework:

:D

same thing yes :awesomework:

So I assume you still use the term then?

That aspect of offroading is not really my thing, but in the few rare instances where use of the term would be appropriate and in it's proper context, yes. I do not see the problem with using it to describe a sanctioned event held in a responsible manner.

That aspect of offroading is not really my thing, but in the few rare instances where use of the term would be appropriate and in it's proper context, yes. I do not see the problem with using it to describe a sanctioned event held in a responsible manner.

I thought events like that were called mud bogs/drags not mudin

But thats just me...:;

But the term mudin in any contex is a lame term if you ask me...

The reason for this thread is I have only seen the term used in negative articles in the media...

In my minds eye, I hear mudding and think of throttle down madness. I picture it as being fine for those that can do it in accetable places in the midwest. I don't think of good things associated with it out here. I can't explain why the double standard, but I do feel it has a negative connotation out here.

I personally always use the term "wheeling" to describe what I'm doing.

I thought events like that were called mud bogs/drags not mudin

But thats just me...:;

But the term mudin in any contex is a lame term if you ask me...

"Mudding" is nothing more than a shortend, slang version of "mud bogging" or "mud racing". Same as "crawling" is to "rock crawling" or "wheelin'" is to "four wheeling". Maybe they're all just lame. Who knows. Or really cares. :hi:

I first heard of it in the newspaper...an extremely negative perspective.

So I'd tell non-wheeling friends that I was going "off-roading" and they'd start on me about how bad it is for the environment. That was not a discussion I was going to have. I just said that I wasn't into that kind of garbage and neither were most people in the sport.

Here are my thoughts (sorry for the long post):

People like to put things into neat little packages. When a person experiences something for the first time, they develop (or adopt) terms to describe what they've experienced... as their knowledge of a specific subject builds – so does their vernacular until they gain the ability to "speak the language."

The issue with the media is they are expected to know enough to inform the public & to write a good story – nothing more. What they don't know, they adlib. If they don't know a term, they'll adopt one and define it with their own words. So depending on the story, innocent words are left vulnerable to adapt negative connotations.

I wouldn't pass blame entirely on the media. Word of mouth is much stronger. Words are powerful and definitions shift and change with age, time, popularity & use. If you ask my Grandfather – it's all as "Stump Jumpin."

*edit* Going along with this idea - different regions develop and stick to their own terms.

Last edited:
It might ruffle some feathers here, but that area has been known as Reiter Pit for far longer than you and I have been around and as far as I am concerned that is how I will refer to it. How said is it that we have to resort to avoid using and even outright change historical names and terms to touchy feely politically correct pussifed ones?

I actually agree with this. For the most part I've come to call this "trails vs pit" cause of belonging to the RTW thing. But it still angers me when people get pissy if I do slip. I hate it for the same politically correctness. Growing up, it was always called trails and it got changed to make people happy.

as for "mudding" I like the mud but I don't know that I use a special term for it. Personally I think if the "masses" find a reason to not like it, it's yet another thing you will have to fight to prove it's innocense. It's just like any other sport, there are good and bad apples. People who abuse the privaleges they've been given and have no respect for what's not theirs.

Most of the time i here the term "muddin" its form people who are out side the true wheelin comminity. The people in a stock toyota or ford ranger with AT on it splash through the mud and crankin the wheel, thinkin thats what its all about... I dont refer to anything as muddin,crawlin, offroading or what ever else, its just WHEELIN its what i :spend: at

Latest posts