Thornbirds - others opinions?

Rock_Crusher

anyone got a opinion on thornbirds?

street
trail
rocks
dirt / mud

i picked up a set of 35x14.5x15's

they seem to be very heavy, and running them on stock dana 30 / 35c axles would be suicide, maybe i'll just sell them & get something else... but i'd like to hear opinion's, as i've never had a set or seen them in action.

Last edited:
:haha: Tbirds are a street tire disguised as a offroad tire. :haha:

:haha: That's the big joke with newbees here, the subtitle says Tbirds rock, when in reality, they are hardly desireable for off road tires. I've heard (2nd hand info here) that they work ok in the sand.

:haha: And if I had your rig, I'd visit my friend TClimber for a spare set of D35 shafts before I put them 35s on my rig.

T.

TreeClimber said:
:haha: Tbirds are a street tire disguised as a offroad tire. :haha:

:haha: That's the big joke with newbees here, the subtitle says Tbirds rock, when in reality, they are hardly desireable for off road tires. I've heard (2nd hand info here) that they work ok in the sand.

:haha: And if I had your rig, I'd visit my friend TClimber for a spare set of D35 shafts before I put them 35s on my rig.

T.

well, this kinda goes in the tea-kettle pot doesn't it?

have you ever used a set? like myself, which i haven't... the side walls appeal to me - but the flat / pancake center surface - says - suck ass offroad...
while maybe i'am totally wrong, hence, anyone else ever run a set on trails?

oh, and do you accept PayPal for the spare axles?

Rock_Crusher said:
have you ever used a set?

hence, anyone else ever run a set on trails?

oh, and do you accept PayPal for the spare axles?

No.

No.

No.

But if you drive up to Bremerton, you can just have them. Otherwise, swap meet in March. :D

LOL You got some thornbirds!!!!!!LOL:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: Get a couple 6ers of red dog and drive to my place so we can groove em up.

Bunk said:
LOL You got some thornbirds!!!!!!LOL:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: Get a couple 6ers of red dog and drive to my place so we can groove em up.

thats what i was thinking......... well not coming to yer' place... but was thinking the same thing! cut the hell outta the center's -

Last edited:
I used to run them way back when. They are a bit too hard for rocks and dirt but I really liked the sidewalls in the mud. Hit a rut and you could usually pull right out.

If somebody gave me a set for free or super cheep I would run them in the winter around here.

Erik D_lux said:
I used to run them way back when. They are a bit too hard for rocks and dirt but I really liked the sidewalls in the mud. Hit a rut and you could usually pull right out.

If somebody gave me a set for free or super cheep I would run them in the winter around here.

they suck in the snow...pretty much turn in to ski's

Erik D_lux said:

well honestly, I did pay a $100. bucks for them this morning, got home & did some thinking... and actually posted them on craigslist for a trade for 33's...
then started thinking somemore... why not just keep them for the streets!

and save my SX's for the trails...

============================

I guess on the street, they'll be fine. hey, thanks for the comments though.
i've never ran them, they do look ok for the street though. and some Narly sidewall's... guess thats what really catches my attention... narly sidewalls!

crash said:
Is this whole thread a joke?

No it's actually on the up & up... :haha:

"I've never had a set... and yes i've heard every rumour... but not from a horses mouth so to speak. so i asked? and for a $100. they'll make killer tire swings out front hanging from the tree's!:haha: :haha: :haha:

Last edited:
Not from personal experiance running on my stuff but from my own eyes on the trail---I had bald boggers that out did that tire. The ONE and only way you are going to make them work Rick is to knife the living hell out of them and basically kill every ounce of character the tire has.

Another issue you canot forget--the added weight from the tire is going to increase your chances of breaking rear axle shafts...

crash said:
Not from personal experiance running on my stuff but from my own eyes on the trail---I had bald boggers that out did that tire. The ONE and only way you are going to make them work Rick is to knife the living hell out of them and basically kill every ounce of character the tire has.

Another issue you canot forget--the added weight from the tire is going to increase your chances of breaking rear axle shafts...

Thats the 1st thing i noticed...... these tires are very - very heavy.
since i got them, i might as well use them on the street... :rolleyes:

I've seen them in the 38 inch flavor run and run HARD on a TJ. But the guy was running Currie Rock Jock 60's.

He did with those tires what I did with my TJ on BFG All Terrains; Not much.

They are a STREET TIRE. The only terrain I have seen them do well in is trail running with mild rock.

MUD: NO

HEAVY ROCK: NO

SAND: YES but only if you want to go slow and easy, if you are looking for sand ride and performance, look elsewhere.

STREET: YES

SNOW: NO

PNW: I would take BFG all terrains over them any day.

you're gonna hate them, even for street only. **** u think ur heep is a bad DD now, wait till u have to deal with the vibration and road noise.

orygunner said:
junk, sell em quick

but, as i did shell out a hundred bucks... *:rolleyes: - wouldn't these really do well in place of my SX's? same size 35's - so driving wouldn't be affected.
and i'll get lot's of life from both sets by swapping - depending on driving conditions.

could make 'em grip better though by cutting the centers... anyone done it? seen any tires sliced & diced...?

snwbrdpunk16 said:
you're gonna hate them, even for street only. **** u think ur heep is a bad DD now, wait till u have to deal with the vibration and road noise.

the noise doesn't bother me, i actually like loud exhaust's & noisy tires!