• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tie down laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
...... I go through and around the frame.......................... Unfortunately I'm within the law and your not :flipoff:

Is this a factory tie down point? If not then you are not within the law.....
Something else to think about if you don't tie to the axles then you're putting more stress on the trailer suspension because you're not letting the towed vehicle absorb the bumps in the road.......

Thats such a bs point.... Trailers are designed to haul loads... Last a checked a load of hay or cinder blocks don't have suspension... :hi:

Thats such a bs point.... Trailers are designed to haul loads... Last a checked a load of hay or cinder blocks don't have suspension... :hi:

Yup and your trailer and it's tires/ suspension will last much longer if you haul cars tied by the axles then it will hauling cinder blocks.

I'll keep that in mind when I head south sunday evening with 39k of cheddar cheese. Wonder if I can get some bilsteins under that load.... :haha:

That is why I cinch down the body. I should clarify my bumper are not typical bumpers. The front is 2x4" 3/8'' thick, secured firmly to the front of my frame. Basically it is the frame. My rear is the same.

Here's the type of straps I use. 1 in each corner, These aren't coming lose unless I get in a wreck. :cool:

Now wait a minute. In this thread you said you tie to the bumpers and axles both.?????
http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26407&page=4
Post 37 I think it was???????

Now wait a minute. In this thread you said you tie to the bumpers and axles both.?????
http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26407&page=4
Post 37 I think it was???????

Depends on who's trailer I barrow. But in the front it is always through/around the bumper/frame/boner bumper. In the rear 95% of the time go around/through the frame/bumper. If I barrow my buddies 14ft, and If I remember my chain I'll through one over the axle as needed. But always chalk my tires.

Now what are you going to do when you break a link??

Why no shocks on those trailers?

Actually I was refering to putting shocks under the load not under the trailer....

But the newer air ride trailers actually do have shocks on them. I know the newer great dane trailers have a single in the center of each axle tube and utility brand trailers of the same era have duals just like an old dodge with them both leaning back.

Is this a factory tie down point? If not then you are not within the law.....
Something else to think about if you don't tie to the axles then you're putting more stress on the trailer suspension because you're not letting the towed vehicle absorb the bumps in the road.......

Say were both towing. Lets say we get pulled over, A cop will be sure to check the stability of our loads, probably by trying to rock the rig. Mine doesn't move. Now if he came over to your rig and rocked it, the body will rock back and forth. Who do you think will get a ticket?? Probably neither because he'll be a wheelin cop, but I bet we both get a lecture about it. and every cop probably has their own interpretation of the law just like we do.

I don't think any of us are towing legally or technically correct. If they want to issue tickets they'll find something.

Say were both towing. Lets say we get pulled over, A cop will be sure to check the stability of our loads, probably by trying to rock the rig. Mine doesn't move. Now if he came over to your rig and rocked it, the body will rock back and forth. Who do you think will get a ticket?? Probably neither because he'll be a wheelin cop, but I bet we both get a lecture about it. and every cop probably has their own interpretation of the law just like we do.

I don't think any of us are towing legally or technically correct. If they want to issue tickets they'll find something.
Soooooooooo what ... every car or truck on the road will rock when pushed like that. It means nothing.

I'll keep that in mind when I head south sunday evening with 39k of cheddar cheese. Wonder if I can get some bilsteins under that load.... :haha:

That should be just enough cheese to go with all the wine-ing that we are hearing. :D

I'll try to get in touch with a couple WSP buddies and get their interpretation of the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.