• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tightening Beadlock bolts

Criss-cross, and yeah, about a million times it seems!!! :redneck:
Helped oil can get a couple of his together tonight (waiting on bolts for finishing them)....

I went cris cross on the first one, roundy round on the rest. to this day they all look the same

I go criss cross. Mark the tire with chalk at the bolts. Four long lines, and six short lines. You'll know what I mean, when you lay it out. It helps to keep a pattern going, and you won't miss bolts that way. It takes a few times around (usually 4-6) to get them all to the proper torque.

Like kevin sais we did one of mine last night . Went criss cross till we got close then went in a circle. It seemed like for ever.......:puke:

I got 32 bolts per wheel and it sucked when I did all five.Criss cross when mounting them and circular for maintenance.

I did 35 bolt Locks in criss cross the initial installation... Anytime after that I just did all four wheels in roundabout...

I've played this game easily 100 times and I've always gone criss cross the when first mounted to make sure they are as close to centered on the wheel as possible then when I check them periodically I go in a circle. I should mention I use an impact turned down on low at first then final torque is with it set about the middle and I only give it 3 whacks on the anvil. That comes out to about 20 ft lbs on my torque wrench without the hassle. I can bust out a set of wheels/tires ready to go in just over an hour. :D

WhiteTrash has it down to a science.:cool:

I like to get mine close with a rattle gun too nowadays. Then after they are torqued down I glue the inner bead with napa bead glue. If you scuff the wheel, and tire, that stuff holds really good.

WhiteTrash has it down to a science.:cool:

Yea my first tire I mounted took me over an hour. :haha: I sat down to think of a better way and the rest is history. :D

I put a small bead of silicone down over the weld once the inner bead is over the wheel and let it sit for a few minutes to get a dry layer on top, then pick up the tire (using a helper on the 42's and 44's I'm not THAT fawking strong :redneck: ) and set the wheel down on a bucket and carefully lower the tire onto the wheel as close to centered as we can get and set it down. By the time the bolts are in the silicone has taken a set and I put air in the tire to seat the inner bead. That air forces silicone into any pinholes there may be in the weld. Since I started doing this I've never had a leaker.

Yes, I've fawked up and had leakers and issues over the years so you don't have to. :awesomework:

10-4, I do about a tube, or so of rtv on mine too. I set the wheel on a bucket, and wedge 3 paint cans between the wheel, and tire to hold the tire up off the rim while I goop it up.
PHP:

I have yet to mount a beadlock tire with silicone. rookie welders. :kissmyass:

I have yet to build a beadlock without anticoning rings either. Anticoning rings or nothing for me.:awesomework:

My first set of DIY's were from Bobby and they were stolen. My last two sets didn't have anti coning rings but I added them. Doing them without anti coning rings does work but they have a tendency to bust bolts.

When tightening beadlock bolts do you tighten them crisscross or around in a circle?

Jump around till they are snugged. Then I go in a circle with my 3/8" impact till the bolt ahead of it doesn't get loose when I tighten it. Done it that way for a long time..

I bought mine used, and supposedly Bobby did the welding. The welds are beautiful, and ungrinded, so I probably don't need RTV, but it's cheap insurance. Anti-coning = :cool:

Latest posts